Whos got the barnes on backorder?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rifleman said:
Hey sleepy you might change your mind if you ever saw a 150 class buck standing out in the middle of a cornfield, 275 yards away and all you had was a 100 yd zero.

To be honest Rifleman, I probably wouldnt take that shot with my .308 Centerfire that is sighted in 2 inches high with a 150grn bullet. I just dont practice that stuff. My big concern would be who is on the other side of the field on the edge of the woods.

Rifleman said:
Hey sleepy you might change your mind if you ever saw a 150 class buck standing out in the middle of a cornfield, 275 yards away and all you had was a 100 yd zero.

Two years ago I had to let a 170 class buck walk on a powerline at 250 yards, that was the hardest thing I have ever done in my hunting career. I have practiced, practiced, practiced, and now with the 300 Barnes 60 n120 and a twist of the target turret on my Zeiss scope I am confident enough to make the shot the next time he makes that mistake. Weather it is 50 yards or 300 yards I will be ready.

Pity the trespasser who ignores the signs!!!! Seriously though,not sure what others states manate for hunter orange. Michigan you can get by with just an orange hat. Doesnt have to be a hat...but it's not very much.

I passed a nice one last year. 226 yds and I only was confident to 200. I could have guessed where the drop was but decided to pass. I saw him later after a friend of my father in law got him. Had some broken tines but very nice.

It's one thing to pracice at 250 or more yards....but when that big one shows up....Definatly a different ball game. I just don't have time to practice as much as most. If i shot as much as RW and some of you guys, i am sure my confidence would be much higher at longer ranges on an animal.

Barnes Originals

I talked to Heather today :cry: She said it would be late Jan. 2006 before they start shipping. The good news is, the Barnes Originals will be run first!! :yeah: It seems that all of the back orders prompted them to run the Barnes first and plenty of them!! :lol:

Someone came up with an interesting way to put a point of lead on the end of a xtp on another forum. One that some of you use to post on. Press a buck shot with a reloading press.Looks just like a Barnes org.turns out a 271 gr.bullet. A 260 gr. nosler becomes a 281 gr bullet., interesting results.

I'm not sure what "that" much might mean to you. The stated BC is certainly a lot higher than a 300 SST, but both are are bit hopeful. It flies a bit better, but not all that much. Both the 300 SST's and .458 300 gr. Barnes are what I would call significantly better than the 250 SST.

The BC isn't the only reason for the Barnes Original-- the main reason is that it is the most accurate 200 yard load I've got, at least in my Savages.

But, inside 200 yards, a 250 XTP or 300 XTP is far more than just adequate. All depends what you are looking for.

I have not had much success with the 300 originals @ 200 yds... MOA of deer I suppose, but 285 Spitfires have proved much more consistent for me.

2 targets w/ 285 spitfires
285sf200yd.jpg

200ydbarnes2.jpg

Here is what 300 originals do for me..

DSC00810.jpg

DSC00814.jpg

All targets are 200 yds..

RW- 2 more grains than I shot in Wyoming....

Yeah, I need to slow it down huh??

Chuck,

Yep, I love those targets!!! They are great!

Back