why 100gr limit for T7

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ss-crew

Reaction score
I am confused as to why Hogden says not to use more than 100gr T7, and why many people seem to exceed this by using 3-50gr pellets. Is Hogden being overly cautious with their recommendations, are people using too hot loads, or am I missing something?

I would like to try 3-50gr pellets in my Encore, but am hesitant to exceed Hogden's recommendation. Am I being overly cautious?

BTW - I am just getting started in ML'ing. I bought a ProHunter w/Omega scope, T7 pellets, and T7 primers.

You can use the three pellets of 50 gr. 777 they are equal to 3 50 gr. pellets of pyrodex . I think that they are talking 777 100gr 777 fff , this is equal to 130gr pyrodex loose ff ,which is max load for your gun .
Sundowner

It's always been my understanding that Hodgdon has had a 100 gr limit on all their muzzleloading powders. I've always believed this was for liability reasons.

Thanks for the replies. Here is what the documentation that came with my pellets says, "The maximum load per shot should never exceed total Pellets containing more than 100 grains volume equivalent. That means, no more than:
1) Three (3) 30 grain Pellets, or
2) Two (2) 50 grain Pellets, or
3) One (1) 50 grain Pellet and One (1) 30 grain Pellet"

I suppose it is really a liability issue.

It makes it confusing for someone new to ML'ing. In my case, the T/C owners manual provides suggested loads including up to 3-50gr Pyrodex pellets, Nikon advertises their new Omega scope to be designed using 3-50gr Pyrodex pellets, and if 50gr 777 pellets are ballistically equivilant to 50gr Pyrodex pellets, why would T/C and Nikon do this if Hodgon warns against using 3 pellets? :?

Gun makers do it to push the envelope. Haven't you seen the T/C ads that promise 7mm performance? :lol:

Personally I think anything over 120 or so is wasteful. I have used 150 gr loads but only once on game and that was because I wanted more power just in case. Overkill beats underkill every time. Most of the time I use 70-100 gr loads.

100gr. limit

I aked this question of Hodgdon powder several years ago about the 100 gr. limit. Their reply was it's up to the manufacturers to pressure test the limits of their respective rifles. Since most have not, Hodgdon's has set
limits to reduce their liability.

Choc-dog

Re: 100gr. limit

choc-dog said:
I aked this question of Hodgdon powder several years ago about the 100 gr. limit. Their reply was it's up to the manufacturers to pressure test the limits of their respective rifles. Since most have not, Hodgdon's has set
limits to reduce their liability.

Choc-dog

That make sense to me. In the sue happy world we live in today, they want to be careful.

Thank you for your responses. I called T/C yesterday and the woman their told me that they shoot their guns with 150gr of 777 pellets a lot and I should not have a problem. Sounds good to me...I just hate to knowingly go against the manufacturer's (Hodgden's) recommendations.

Latest posts

Back