Why deer hunts can be humane - Urban deer hunts

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shhhh....

It's actually a widely-known secret among a group of us bowhunters in the metro New York City area. Westchester County is teeming with trophy whitetails, but they are afforded the protection of private estates and clustered residential developments. But they do have a fondness for people's shrubs, and those bucks love to rip cedar trees to pieces.
Every year, I go around and knock on people's doors asking permission to hunt with a bow. Usually meet someone with a grudge against these deer, and more than willing to help him, or her, get even. In fact, its getting so that we bowhunters are like prospectors, setting up claims and protecting our areas by recommending that the landowner not let anyone else hunt there. Since alot of these developments are separated by strips of woods, all it takes is one landowner to give permission to hunt behind his house, and that strip of woods becomes your private funnel. It seems crazy to be sitting up in a treestand with all these houses and noise around you, but the deer are there. Just have to be extra careful setting up shooting lanes.

What happens when you shoot a deer with your bow and it runs into neighbors property before it expires?

Most times they stay in the woods when hit. But once, I had to do the 100 yd dash dragging it from a yard back into the woods. Also, had a deer drop in the woods behind a neighbor's house while he was working in the yard. I left the bow by my stand and went over and asked permission to drag it back, and he was very cool about it. Always have to respect their rights. Biggest problems are burying the gut pile (and hoping some family pet doesn't dig it up and bring it home), and having a wounded deer running around the neighborhood with an arrow sticking in him. Both can get your permission revoked!

Re: Shhhh....

NYHunter said:
It seems crazy to be sitting up in a treestand with all these houses and noise around you, but the deer are there.

Like I've always said. Whitetails are nothing more than hooved rodents!!! BUT at least they are tasty rodents!

They have to be one of the most adapatble ungulates on the planet. They can live most ANYWHERE. Amazing isn't it!

Another factor that plays into this game is that here in the East, Lyme Disease is becoming more prominent. Massachusetts has banned hunting on Sunday for over 100 years. Now the fish and game wants to push for Sunday hunting. The main impetus is the suburban deer population and more people contracting the disease.

I shot a nice buck last year in a "rural subdivision". It wasn't within city limits, but not far out of it. I heard people talking while in my stand. I would hear them call their dogs back after letting them out of the house to "do their duty". Was a little bizarre but I was seeing TONS of deer.

Here is a picture of a nice buck taken by one of my friends who live within the city limits.

This buck has been seen many times in his back yard.

Best2.jpg

Latest posts

Back