Why do people use pellets?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im pretty sure the bh 209 is affected by moisture as well 
unless i missed something and its water proof then it has the same problem that the pellets have with moisture retention

BH doesn't really absorb moisture anymore than smokeless does. It isn't corrosive either like BP and all other subs.

For many years i hunted with granular Pyrodex and Pyrodex pellets.  When a fast reload is needed it's much easier to chunk two or three pellets down the barrel than pour powder from a tube.

Muley said:
BH doesn't really absorb moisture anymore than smokeless does. It isn't corrosive either like BP and all other subs.
That is one of the big benefits of BH209, it absorbs very very little if any moisture.

put some BH209 in a glass of water, do the same test with pyrodex, triple 7 or american pioneer, the others will just wash away. You can dry the bh209 and use it.

Good info FG ! 

this is just personal experience  
but i found  the pellets to be more consistent shot to shot   
seeing how powder compression is removed from the equation  

also i have dropped pellets in the heat of the moment  on a few occasions 
unlike powder i can just pick them up and use them still 
even when dropped in dew or snow    still fire fine 
the moisture problem is from prolonged exposure   
only hang fires ive had came from a brand new box of pellets

I agree. No need for argument. What works well in your gun and if you are satisfied and CONFIDENT with your system's performance.

Keep those pellets in sealed tubes at room temperature.

Verify your zero just prior to your hunt so that you are as close to the same conditions as you will be hunting in.. 

Had I hunted with my Encore 209X50 with 2ea 50/50 777 pellets, based on the zero that I  established in July.I would have impacted 6-8 inches low at 100 yds in November. (Wisconsin)

I have always been a loose powder guy but last summer I bought a few boxes of white hots and like them. I have no choice with white hots because they don't make it in loose form.

true but the whitehots are slower than T7 pellets surprisingly. I think thats how they were able to cut down the crud ring a bit.

I didn't know it was cut down? Something wasn't added to keep it white. Maybe graphite? That might have something to do with less crud ring, but i'm just guessing.

I thought I read the CR was the same?

its still there just a bit easier to push through. I could go 3 shots but on the 3rd shot you kind of had to lean into it to seat the bullet. With t7 pellets, one shot and i was done.

Oh ok. So, the WH would be much better for hunting, and getting the fast 2nd reload if needed.

Hmmmm..might be better for my bear hunt. It would save me from pouring the powder on my foot when a bear is near.   :pirat:

Naaaa..i'll use BH.

Muley said:
Sure they do. It's called T7.   :D 
Not true Muley white hots are a different animal. Iv'e used both and I can load six rounds without swabbing with WH in the same gun that would have my bullet/sabot combo jammed in the barrel with 777 so bad in three shots I would have to remove the breech plug and beat it out with my range rod. Also I called Hodgdon and asked them why they didn't have it in loose form and they said it wasn't stable in that form. Don't sound and act like 777 to me.

Some guys say they shoot T7, and don't get a crud ring.

Others say they shoot WH, and get a crud ring as bad as T7.

One thing is for sure. Nobody gets a crud ring with BH 209.

I agree with you about BH209 its good stuff. Did you ever try White Hots?

I've never tried any pellets. I have to go by what others say about them.

I've never found using powder a problem, so I never saw any advantage to pellets.

Why do you like them?

My brother purchased a box of White Hots when we first got into muzzleloading because he read some advertising on good they were.  We compared them with Triple seven pellets.  We both shot White Hots and Triple Seven pellets.  We compared the crud ring and patches from swabbing the bore after each shot.  Our conclusion: There was only a "barely noticeable" difference as far as shooting cleaner.  Certainly not worth the extra dollars he paid for them.

He also called the manufacture to get some ballistic data to back up their claim that they shot faster than Triple Seven.  Their response was they didn't have any data, the claim was from what customers had told them.  ?????

Latest posts

Back