Will Exercise Help

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oneshot1

Reaction score
Ok very serious question. Last year found I had Arthritis in my Back, Leg, Hips, Arm and Hands. They can't give me an Anti Inflammatory because I'm on Blood Thinners because of Poor Circulation in one Leg and have chronic Blood Clots.

Ok I exercise 3X a week at the YMCA it basically is all I can do going through the routines they have but I still do work around the house.

The other day I went Mushroom hunting found I can only walk a third of what I use to.

Now the question. If I push myself and work out on the Stepper will I get my strength back?

My wife says no that I'm doing all I can that it will be a waste of time and energy.

oneshot

I tried what you said, seems there is no improvement with exercise in my case. The diabetas has taken about 35% of the blood flow in my legs. Even did the blood vessel thing on one leg six months ago and that leg still hurts down the shin bone like being kicked by a mule. They want me to go back in for the other leg, my brother-in-law said "maybe in a drunken moment" (I don't drink so that won't happen).

I am dealing with some decreased mobility in my knees, now. 
The saw bones says is it arthritis.

I started cycling every day. It helps me, but cycling does not make the pain go away. 
It does seem to stave off worse pain. I ache significantly more on days that I do not 
use my bike. 

I have recently decided that different people/bodies respond somewhat differently to the same things. So, I think a 'one size fits all' answer is hard to find. But, I will say that I have observed that if you stop using it, it will go away. That seems to be universal.

Keep trying different ways of getting your exercise. Be patient and persistent. You are working with a different 'machine' now. You gotta figure out what will work for you. 

I hope this helps.

Kentucky Colonel said:

I started cycling every day. It helps me, but cycling does not make the pain go away. 
It does seem to stave off worse pain. I ache significantly more on days that I do not 
use my bike. 
When I had my knee "scoped" the orthopedist told me it would last 5 years if I were lucky. He said that the more I used it the worse it would get. He said it would be a bad idea to ride my mountain bike unless I wanted to hasten surgery for a knee replacement.

So far my right knee that was scoped is fine after 3+ years but my left knee and hip are giving me lots of pain. I guess it won't be long before I see him again for the other side.

patocazador said:
Kentucky Colonel said:

use my bike. 
When I had my knee "scoped" the orthopedist told me it would last 5 years if I were lucky. He said that the more I used it the worse it would get. He said it would be a bad idea to ride my mountain bike unless I wanted to hasten surgery for a knee replacement.

So far my right knee that was scoped is fine after 3+ years but my left knee and hip are giving me lots of pain. I guess it won't be long before I see him again for the other side.
Yeah... I have heard that, too. From what I have heard from folks, some get 'worn out' joints from exercise (the first thing they asked me was 'were you ever an athlete?) and some seem to stave it off for very long periods of time with reasonable activity. I seem (so far) to be in the later category. Like I said...I don't think 'one size fits all' advice works on a lot of people. 

I feel better using my mountain bike. I wore out my old one last month. The picture below is of my new one. I am down close to 30 pounds (and that feels good on the knee, too!) I am still (despite my surgery and subsequent recovery) on track to attempt my first ever 'marathon' in July. It had been decades since I attempted to train for anything. I did not think I still could. (A Spartan Sprint) And, MY knee hurts like a big dog if I miss two days of cycling.

Don't stop moving.

b5WDHj.jpg

Ok I think I'm just going to have to deal with it. My Doctor says I'm doing all I can and he is surprised I'm able to do what I can.

My wife is saying P on people Walk, take a Break, Walk and take a Break.

oneshot

The average pain pills have no effect on me anymore, I have managed to break off any teeth with large fillings (several). Just grin and bear ...... my fault doing things that can turn out bad and sometimes they did. Wrecking drag cars at 150 mph into the sand traps and into a piles of old tires were my worst experiences, finally hung that sport up in 2010.

Dirt Track Stock Car for me in 1990. I no longer have Teeth.

I take Opioids every 4 hours maybe they will legalize Marijuana. I'm not to legally Drive or Hunt but.

oneshot

Ok weather has an effect. Today it was Warm and High Pressure.

I went to the Gym had a Hard 2 Hour Workout and came Home Spaded on my 20'X20' garden, got half of it done and planted 8 Tomato Plants.

Sore but was able to function.

hillman

never ever give up. life is movement and death is stillness. when you go to the gym the bike is the best range of movement and getting the blood flowing movement their is. non impact also. also try L-histadine as a supplement. it comes in 500 mg tbs. you have to order it off of the internet. i get mine from the web site piping rock. start with one 500 mg tab the first thing in the morning. ive worked up to three tabs every morning. the side effects to watch for is itching, mostly under the armpits and areas of the body that touch each other. if that doesnt happen use 500 mg daily then after a couple weeks go to two tabs. dont go past three. i had a swollen index finger bottom joint for 10 years and it was always pain ful. as soon as i started the L-hiastadine tabs it went away completely. L-hiatadine works for swollen arthrits joints and works very very well. now their are two other thing L-histadine does, it helps you recover faster from gym exercise, and it frankly, makes sex a lot better. becareful you dont have a heart attack during sex it makes it so much better. works that way even better for women. they go nuts on it. im not speaking from a non educated point of view, 5 years of medical college and a stong interest in biochemistry, im talking facts, not pop art crap. also all you men who are older out thier their is also another theapy that you have to consider. i bet every older women you know is on hormone replacement theapy . why should men be any different? if you have good insurance go to your dr. and have a testosterone level done one your blood. then go on testosterone replacement therapy. you get a shot every 2 weeks. with the L-histadine supplement and the testosterone repacement therapy in about a month your going to post here how your life has totaly changed. the two together will change your life. some drs. dont know that testosterone helps diabetics regulate their blood sugar to a very large degree. the drs. who have a strong background in biochemistry do know this. so in summery, L-histadine and testosterone repacement therapy will change your life. im not on the testosterone yet i also plan to get the level test at the end of may and start it. ive been giving shots every two weeks to my friend for a year now and have seen how it has changed his life in every way. he is also a diabetic and it has helped him controll his diabetis. their it is guys, check out on the internet and you will see im not bull $hitting.

oneshot 1 said:

I went to the Gym had a Hard 2 Hour Workout and came Home Spaded on my 20'X20' garden, got half of it done and planted 8 Tomato Plants.

hillman
Bottom line, stay in touch with your doc and follow his guidance. But it sure sounds like you have the potential for exercise to do great things for you.

I had to get off my hiney and get busy, just cuzz lack of conditioning was cutting into my hunting and fishing. Got lots of workout during the seasons, but laid back between. And it was taking me longer and longer to get back up to snuff with the start of each season, meanwhile cutting deep into the terrain I could cover.

When I started getting regular exercise between seasons my resting heartbeat was 74.  Six months later it was down to 65. It kept dropping slowly, and it's been holding steady at 61-62 for three years now. Lost 40 pounds while I was at it with no real change in my eating habits other than to knock of ALL nighttime snacks.

I'm not talking Super Hero exercise.  I plug in my earbuds to listen to the news and walk 40 minutes first thing every morning. Dat's it.  Almost embarrassing how little it took to make such a big change. Sure points to the fact that I'd turned into a slug, and it was no one's doings but my own.

BrownBear said:
oneshot 1 said:

hillman
Bottom line, stay in touch with your doc and follow his guidance. But it sure sounds like you have the potential for exercise to do great things for you.

I had to get off my hiney and get busy, just cuzz lack of conditioning was cutting into my hunting and fishing. Got lots of workout during the seasons, but laid back between. And it was taking me longer and longer to get back up to snuff with the start of each season, meanwhile cutting deep into the terrain I could cover.

When I started getting regular exercise between seasons my resting heartbeat was 74.  Six months later it was down to 65. It kept dropping slowly, and it's been holding steady at 61-62 for three years now. Lost 40 pounds while I was at it with no real change in my eating habits other than to knock of ALL nighttime snacks.

I'm not talking Super Hero exercise.  I plug in my earbuds to listen to the news and walk 40 minutes first thing every morning. Dat's it.  Almost embarrassing how little it took to make such a big change. Sure points to the fact that I'd turned into a slug, and it was no one's doings but my own.
Well if I'm able I hunt 9 months out of the year 3 months cut Firewood and Garden 8 months out of the year plus yard work and working out in the Gym.

Doing absolutely nothing for over a year put weight on me. Working on taking it off. So far 15 pounds.

My Heart Rate and Blood Pressure is low. one thing that hurts me is I can't eat Greens like I use to because of Blood Thinners.

I go to Gym more to Socialize and don't work out like I use to. My Mother in Law asked me how my Shirt got so wet me out spading Garden the other day.

I wasn't able to Deer Hunt or cut Firewood last Winter and it had an effect on me. My Main problem now is my Hips and Legs get to hurting so bad but Doctor says there is nothing I can do.

oneshot

oneshot 1 said:
...one thing that hurts me is I can't eat Greens like I use to because of Blood Thinners.
You might chat with your doc about that again. When my wife had to go on blood thinners (heart valve replacement), her doc put it this way:

You need some greens, but you don't need to gorge on them. Eat a rational, normal amount and we'll see where you're blood level settles in.  If you need more blood thinner, meh. No big deal. We'll prescribe a higher dose.  Better to be healthy overall as the thinners do the work they were designed for.

i forgot one thing. when you take L-histadine, take it on a empty stomach and dont eat for about 1/2 hour. if taken with food it wont absorb nearly as good. all pure amino acids with a L in front of them should be taken with out food. that way your getting the full value of them into your blood stream. also their is a vitamin called pantothenic acid. i wouldnt be with out that one either. it greatly increases your endurance. i take 2, 500mg. tabs daily. i ran out recently and was with out it for a week. i could tell the difference as my endurance went down. it doesnt hipe you up, it is calming but when you are doing something physical you can do alot more than with out it. the navy many years ago did test with it. they gave a good diet to a group of navy fliers and after a while had them swim in cold water to see how long they would last. then they fed them the same diet with a 1000 mg of pantothenic acid added to the diet. the next time they swam they swam a lot longer. more endurance.

olecoop said:
Has anyone done the research on the CBD oil that is out?It is legal here in Indiana and I hear nothing but gtreat things about it.
My wife uses it in a Vape thing and she swears that it helps with her Fibromyalgia.  I've tried it by putting 3 drops under my tongue and holding it 10 seconds before swallowing.  For me it didn't do a thing so I tried the Vape at the encouragement of my Wife.  Nope, it didn't do a thing for me that way either.  So my limited research shows that it helps some, but not others.  If I'm not bad wrong it's legal in all 50 States now.

For 60 years I was a hard charging "fitness" athlete.  I was a life long runner, boxer, martial artist and was always lean & hongrey with very, very low body fat.  Then came rheumatoid arthritis and degenerative spinal disease.  The ra also brought a friend along name of "chronic fatigue".  Now, cf has nothing whatsoever to do with tiredness; it is 24/7 and NEVER lets up.  It also gets worse over time.  Pain is awful and also 24/7 and so far nothing, I'd be willing to take, helps a bit.  We're moving soon so marijuana will be legal.  I was on hydrocodone, oxycontin, methadone and could not tell much difference.  I, unfortunately, was prescribed duragesic patches (fentanyl).  I wasn't told what I was getting into.  It worked for pain but left me dangerously depressed; it took me almost a year to get off that stuff - can't stop "cold turkey"; you have to do it gradually.  I'll NEVER touch that stuff again!  Morphine was kinda like aspirin as I don't react much to most drugs.  I currently take NO pain meds other than the antiseizure drug, gabapentin.  I give myself weekly methotrexate shots and as it's a cancer drug, it causes you to lose body AND head hair.  My rheumatologist is getting ready for me to start shots of a "biologic". 

But thanks to a life of training I entered into this stage with more flexibility, lower bp and slower hr than the majority of people without these complaints.  I do still train, to the extent I'm able, and retain many of my skills.  However, my hands are in bad shape (ra) and my spine keeps me from kicking with the same ferocity of days past.  My doctors tell me I should continue to exercise.  So I'd have to say if at all possible, be as physically active as you can manage.

thanks for the post, i recently added calcium in the form of tablets 3 tabs 4 times daily. didnt think i needed it as i cover a lot with all my other supplements.the results are im not as stiiff in my muscles so im going to keep it up. my wife and i decided that i should try oral marijuana oral the next time we visit my son in denver. its strange but i never ever tried it yet. dont want to smoke anything but i will try oral. its not legal in nebraska so will not bring any back. i was watching a movie a while back and they had a simple method to throw off the sniffer dogs if your careing a small amount in the car. dont know if it works in real life but it sounds interesting. rub every square inch of the inside of your trunk with ammonia. even do some on the undercarriage. it screws up the dogs nose for a time. one wiff of that and the dog cant smell anything for a while. i dont like street duggies but marijuana should be available for medicine for those who need it. some countries over seas have found out it is the best medicine for preventing the brain from going bad after a bad concussion.

They are doing so much to keep people here from getting Opioids no matter how much they are needed. 

I have tried marijuana and like it but now the cost is what hurts me which is $200 a month getting it illegally. Fixed income can't do it.

The Opioids mess me up for days but they are talking about Legalizing Medical  Marijuana which would be good for me. I've tried the Liquid in Vapor and liked it more than just smoking it.

Seems weather has an effect mostly with Fronts. Now I'm dealing with Pollen.

oneshot

Back