Williams FP Hawken VS Lyman 57SML

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why is there no room to move the sight to the right. Just the peep moves for windage.
I’m going to second this. The bar doesn’t move when adjusting for wind age, just the peep. I’m doing the same thing on my 54 Renegade. On mine I have juuuust enough clearance for the elevation “bar” to clear the stock. I’m going to have a gunsmith do the drill & tap on the tang3066FBFC-8C1F-493F-93D9-A0A2F5D333DA.jpegimage.jpg

“The bar doesn’t move when adjusting for wind age, just the peep”. Thats a good point.

Thats a snug fit you’ve got there. What front sight do you plan to use?. You appear to have just a little more room that I do when my sight is positioned like yours. There’s bound to be some variations in stocks over the years as well as the sight.

I’ll try moving it up one more time but last time I lost quite a bit of downward adjustment as I was hitting the side of the stock.

Attachments

• 2AEB72E2-0F3D-4CA0-BBDB-E29E9A1CA69A.png
    2AEB72E2-0F3D-4CA0-BBDB-E29E9A1CA69A.png
    386.5 KB · Views: 8
I’m going to second this. The bar doesn’t move when adjusting for wind age, just the peep. I’m doing the same thing on my 54 Renegade. On mine I have juuuust enough clearance for the elevation “bar” to clear the stock. I’m going to have a gunsmith do the drill & tap on the tangView attachment 19866View attachment 19867
At this point, I still have the stock front sight (blade). It will likely be too low for this setup (as it was with the stock rear sight when trying to sight in at 50 yards shooting a prb). Since the application is hunting in the dim woods of PA, I want to find a fiber optic front sight, or some other option that will “pop” in low light.

You might consider filing the Williams sight where it hits the edge of your stock. You wouldn’t have to take much off and it shouldn’t affect the sights functionality. Best of luck with your project!

I have the Lyman on my TC Hawken and no clearance issues. I fitted the Lyman #17AML to replace the OEM front sight. Had to rework the dovetail on the sight base a bit to get it to fit, but Lyman hinted at that in their product description. I was looking for a different tang peep for my Cherokee as the Lyman is very obtrusive on that gun. Anyone fitted one of the Lyman #2 Tang Sights to a Cherokee? Or perhaps the Pedersoli Ghost Tang Peep? I know it would require customizing the base, but what else do old people have to do.

At this point, I still have the stock front sight (blade). It will likely be too low for this setup (as it was with the stock rear sight when trying to sight in at 50 yards shooting a prb). Since the application is hunting in the dim woods of PA, I want to find a fiber optic front sight, or some other option that will “pop” in low light.

You might consider filing the Williams sight where it hits the edge of your stock. You wouldn’t have to take much off and it shouldn’t affect the sights functionality. Best of luck with your project!
All good ideas. Some states out West don’t allow fiber optics. I agree the stock sight will be too low with the peep sight in your position. Any dove tail sight change will require fitting. It’s not hard to do just take your time. My competition S&W revolvers all needed fitting. I’m going with a globe front sight.

I may open the top of the globe to let more light through. I’ve also seen the front of these globe sights painted with a fluorescent paint to make it stand out better. My Renegade is used mostly in steel silhouette matches but is a back up to muzzleloader season.

Yes filing back the vertices bar is another good option. I plan to see if the rearward position for the sight works first. Benefits are:
1: no modification to the sight is needed.
2 no modification to the stock is needed,
3 longer sight radius is a benefit.
4 lower front sight closer to stock height,
5 the rear sight is lower on the rifle,
6 the back of the sight mounting bracket acts as an index for my grip, consistency is a good thing.

Looks like I’ll be getting to the range tomorrow 😊.

IdahoRon and Idaholewis, are you two brothers?
All good ideas. Some states out West don’t allow fiber optics. I agree the stock sight will be too low with the peep sight in your position. Any dove tail sight change will require fitting. It’s not hard to do just take your time. My competition S&W revolvers all needed fitting. I’m going with a globe front sight.

I may open the top of the globe to let more light through. I’ve also seen the front of these globe sights painted with a fluorescent paint to make it stand out better. My Renegade is used mostly in steel silhouette matches but is a back up to muzzleloader season.

Yes filing back the vertices bar is another good option. I plan to see if the rearward position for the sight works first. Benefits are:
1: no modification to the sight is needed.
2 no modification to the stock is needed,
3 longer sight radius is a benefit.
4 lower front sight closer to stock height,
5 the rear sight is lower on the rifle,
6 the back of the sight mounting bracket acts as an index for my grip, consistency is a good thing.

Looks like I’ll be getting to the range tomorrow 😊.

We are brothers from another mother.🤣
I personally wouldn't mount to the wood. The stocks on these guns have way too many cracks.
I would mount where it should with the rear sight hole, and the rear tang hole lined up.
Then file the back of the sight elevation to fit.
I think some of the Renegade's are thicker than others in the spot the sight is touching. The Lyman 57sml has to be ground down to fit right on some Renegade's.

Yea I’m not a fan of mounting to the wood which is why I’d install an insert to help strengthen it. The tang screw just goes into wood as do many of these screws like the trigger guard screws. You do have a good point however by mounting forward at least the metal tang is under the full base.

if I shave the vertical sight bar it wont need much removed.

Yea I’m not a fan of mounting to the wood which is why I’d install an insert to help strengthen it. The tang screw just goes into wood as do many of these screws like the trigger guard screws. You do have a good point however by mounting forward at least the metal tang is under the full base.

if I shave the vertical sight bar it wont need much removed.
That’s what Lee Shaver recommended as well.

That’s what Lee Shaver recommended as well.
I’ll be ordering a globe sight and Shaver inserts in a couple days. I’ve decided to mount the peep sight in the forward position where it’s designed to go. I plan to file, sand and refine the vertical e piece on the sight to clear the stock.

Didn’t get to the range yesterday but will go tomorrow and Sunday. Still learning this rifle and really enjoy shooting it.

Latest posts

Back