Winchester 209 Primer Sticking

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S abot loader,are those bullets for a 45 or a 50 cal?

They are actually built for custom 45's with a true 45-70 barrel which has deeper grooves, but their measurements are .458x260.

They can be a bit difficult to get through the crown of 45 ML with shallow grooves but once through they load well.

45-260-Sabotless.jpg

For ease of loading you could/can resize the barbs to .454 really easy.

How would that be a big grief if I do away with the sabots?If I could afford one,I would have already bought a sizing die.Just hoping to take the weakest link out of the equation.

ronlaughlin is right, pick up an adjustable sizing die if you want to ditch the sabot. I started with a .453 bullet and they were too tight. .452 was too loose. With the adjustable die I was able to size to .45225 which is exactly where I needed to be. I would not have believed it if I had not seen it with my own eyes but a .4525 was a bit too snug for my barrel.

I would imagine it would be very difficult to get an acceptable bullet to barrel fit without an adjustable sizing die.

Primer problems are now a thing of the past for me. Gun shot great and groups tightened up even more than they were before the shim. I was happy with the groups before the shim but it's really great now. I had no idea the improper headspace could significantly affect the accuracy as much as it did. Thanks everyone for your help!

Latest posts

Back