Winchester 70 3006

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Came in today! I got the bubba nra sticker off the stock without much trouble thankfully. Bluing is in good solid shape, the bore is pristine, especially after I cleaned it. Trigger is superb as well. I ended up having to put some new rings on as the lows were way to low for the 3-10x44 konuspro I added to the package. I had a spare set of high rings which line up my face great but later down the road after I refinish the stock and touch up the bluing here and there, I most likely will go with some medium rings to drop it down a bit. No rush, my nephew has a deer hunt on the 26th and so its just reload time and range work with it. Starts tomorrow if it does not snow! AGAIN

Jon is it a control round feed m70? If it is you have something to collect.

muznut, im not sure what that is to be honest. Its was made in 1964. I will take some pics later on after I sight it in.

Then it should be controlled feed still , the best models were made pre64.

It's not a controlled feed in 64. The push feed was started in 64.

My dad used a pre 64 Mod 70 in 30-06. I believe his was built in the 50's. I hunted with it a couple of times. Nice gun, but I still preferred the Win 94 in 30-30 that he gave me.

wow real nice gun! Already have to dialed in for 100 yards, just testing some reloads now. It seems I will need to seat the bullets just a touch deeper into the case. Not a bad start though. Will bring my camera and take some pics of the rifle.

It should be a good shooter. Even the push feed models were good guns. Probably just as good as the pre 64 models, but guys get hung up on the pre 64 Mauser action.

pre 64 is mainly cosmetic stuff like hand checkering rather than pressed checkering and some other small stuff. I got it shooting real good just now, I am going to seat the bullets on the next batch a little deeper so its not so snug closing the bolt.

Pete is right , the later action was a much simplified action to cut costs.

WAGH! I need to order a new reloading die set, mine is crushing the neck into a wrinkle and making it hard to close the bolt. I thought I needed to seat the bullet in further until I noticed the neck of the case being wrinkled up :x 

FrontierMuzzleloading said:
WAGH! I need to order a new reloading die set, mine is crushing the neck into a wrinkle and making it hard to close the bolt. I thought I needed to seat the bullet in further until I noticed the neck of the case being wrinkled up :x 
That sounds like too much lube on the cases.

You should be able to shoot them and reform them to the chamber as long as you can close the bolt.

You either adjusted the bullet-seating die at the base or your necks need to be trimmed. I doubt that any resizing die would constrict the neck so much as to do that.

Just make sure that there is a gap about the thickness of a nickel between the bottom of the seating die and the top of your ram at the highest point in the stroke. Then only adjust the stem at the top for the amount of seating depth.

Too much lube can dent in the necks but firing returns them to the proper shape.

yes, even cleaned the dies to. I am going to take the stuff to my brother in laws and see if he can figure this out.

Back