Winchester 70 3006

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You loading flat base or boattail bullets Jon , sometimes if the cases doughnut when using FB bullets just switching to boattails will solve the problem.

I'll figure something out, its just one of those things that drives you nuts until you sit down and start at point 1.

I'm thinking along the same lines as Pato and the cases are to long. I've seen this with some .223 brass I was reloading. It didn't wrinkle but the top of the wall to the shoulder was getting rolled over when seating and crimping. Once I started checking and trimming every case the problem went away.  I was able to full length resize most of them. 
Once fired brass seems to have the most stretch to me. After trimming the first time or two I can then run a time or two just neck sizing for my .243. I've never reloaded 30-06 and I just started reloading a year ago so I'm learning a lot

Spitfire you are correct. It seems I learn something each time a start a batch. I'm glad I live in the internet age when it comes to the availability of information. I don't trust it all and have stayed within book limits on everything but someday I will venture out towards the edge.

That is the area I'm looking at, older books and even different sources have different numbers. An example is the New Sierra manual lists 38 grain max for IMR 4064 with a 80-85 grain Sierra bullet in 243. The Hodgen manual from this year says 41 grains. Three grains seems like a lot. I have safely gone to max in the Sierra manual with no signs of pressure (this is the preferred hunting load in the Sierra book). Accuracy was decent at 38.0 grains out of the Howa 1500.

This is an example of a control round feed action.  The large claw extractor on the right side of the bolt (lower side in this photo) is the standard of CRF actions.  Other examples are Mauser 98, Ruger 77, Winchester pre-64 M70, 1903A3, Both P-14 Enfield and 1917 Springfield and this Type 38 Arisaka.  There are more but that is the usual examples. 
c296ba1a-b467-4b3e-b8cc-6c899bccb820_zps2d75ee8f.jpg

Now onto your case issues. ( I am not trying to insult your intelligence, just going through the troubleshooting procedure I would use) First, Where did you get the dies?  New or used? Are they the correct dies? Are all the parts for the dies there? Did you clean the dies before use (even when new)Look at the expander ball on the de-priming rod, is it smooth?  Try putting a dial or digital caliper on the expander ball to be sure it's the correct size.   

Some common problems could be: Did you se-size the cases? Did you trim or measure the cases? Too much case lube could be the problem, but you would have seen crumpled cases during resizing.  Your die is screwed into the press too far and you are short crimping the bullet during seating, or the necks are too small which would be solved when resizing the cases unless the expander ball of your die is too small or too rough.  Look in the box for your dies and see if the instructions are still there, if so read them, if not pretty much all load dies adjust the same way (with a few exceptions) so most die set instructions will give you the basic procedure for adjusting the crimp. Crimping is a function of the die body, back the die out and screw the seater in and you can seat bullets with no crimp.  You don't have to crimp bullets into the cases to test fire them. The only bullets I crimp are straight cases like the .45-70 and .45 colt and the heavy recoiling magnums.  With a bolt action rifle and the "turdy-ot-siks" a crimp is not mandatory provided the feeding is not messed up.    

Here is a link to RCBS load die instructions download.
http://www.rcbs.com/downloads/instructions/ReloadingDieInstructions.pdf

I hope this helps.

Muley said:
Aren't they all a copy of the Mauser 98?
Yes, all modern bolt actions owe something to Mauser.  IMHO any bolt action rifle designed after 1898, Revolver after 1873 or semi auto pistol after 1911 is just an imitation riding the coat tails of the original.  That is not to say the improvements are not useful.  For practical shooting the 1911, 1897 shotgun and the M98 are all that is required, but I do love the Browning A5.  Now for combat that is a different story only because all too often rate of fire is a requirement for success and then Comrade Kalashnikov had the last thing to say on that subject.

We got her all fixed up guys! The new dies and sizer fixed the problem and shes printing 3/4" groups at 100 yards with 54 grains H380, cci mag primers and 165gr hornady boattails.

You can fiddle some more with that load as the 06 is capable of much better groups....

Latest posts

Back