Winchester 70 3006

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trivia item: H380 was named that because it was Hodgdon's favorite varmint loading for his .22-250.
38.0 grs. of powder with a 52 gr. bullet.

patocazador said:
Trivia item: H380 was named that because it was Hodgdon's favorite varmint loading for his .22-250.
38.0 grs. of powder with a 52 gr. bullet.
Cool trivia. When I start reloading my 22-250 I may try that load. Do you know the specific bullet or primer used?

If you pull up Hodgdon's web site, they may have the loading data for H380. The description preceding the data in one of their manuals gave the story.
Since H380 is a spherical powder, I'm sure he used a magnum primer. The original American varmint bullet makers were Speer and Hornady, I believe. One of them started out using fired .22 rimfire cases as jackets for bullets.

Frontier, The .30-06 has so much load data, powder and bullets available that you could spend your 401K and not cover it all.  I think 1" groups at 100 (minute of angle or MOA) yards is pretty darn good for any non-professional shooter and fantastic for an off the shelf factory rifle.   Sure there is room for improvement but what will you spend on bullets, powder and brass to get it.  A lot of work and cost for shooting deer under 275 yards.

Sight that bad boy in 1.5” to 2” high at 100 yards and you will be pretty close to a 200 yard zero and good for deer out to 275 or so with no hold over. 

Back