Wool, Glue, and Steel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kentucky Colonel

Reaction score
I was not sure which section to put this question in... 

A friend wants me to help him with a Viking sheath. I have already bent the poplar around the sword. (I wrapped the sword in a thin layer of gun oil, Saran Wrap, and electrical tape to protect it from the wet wood) 

Q9Qinv.jpg

'Thor' wants to line the thing with wool. He wants to use glue. I am concerned that the glue could cause corrosion on the steel he wants to protect. (The wool could already hold moisture- especially in Florida) 

Spray adhesive has also been suggested as it "dries without moisture." What about PH values and corrosive potential for glues and adhesives?

I figure I should know this, but I don't. So I am asking you guys... 

A. Am I worried for a good reason? 
B. If I am correct to be concerned, what is a simple solution. 

Who knows something?

I think you are right about the wool. Maybe use some synthetic that looks like wool.

If the glue sets hard rather than tacky, I see no problem with it. (Although I graduated with a degree in chemistry, I never learned about the pH in glue.) 
I have bedded actions and barrels with epoxy and that does not cause the metal to rust.

Yeah... 

Follow my logic. My impulse with anything I think might rust is to douse it with oil/rust preventer of some kind. These function best when damp. This same property could make the glue tacky? This would be different from most of the rifle work we do- a bed is not soaked repeatedly in gun oil after it sets. I could counter the wool, maybe, with lubricants. But, to do so might make the glue tacky and cause it to be more chemically active? 

Am I onto something or am I just making problems for myself? I mean, I can just make the thing and let  the rust form where it may...

Take a shiny nail and wrap whatever around it and wait a few days. That should answer your question.

patocazador said:
Take a shiny nail and wrap whatever around it and wait a few days. That should answer your question.
That works.

I work well with simple, monosyllabic directions. :)

Oh I don't know about that. Many wool gun socks have been made for muzzleloaders for hundreds of years. The one I had was lined with canvas so it would hold up better.

Maybe a felt or mole skin would be better suited for a blade?

Latest posts

Back