Work

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd need an entire thread to go through every different kind of job I've had. Some of the more relevant highlights include; Night Security Staff at the dorms in college while serving as an Infantry Marine Reservist. I was studying to be a pilot but dropped out (no pun intended), bounced around a few places (again no pun), switched to a Medical Assistant program, was doing well in it but still had to leave before finishing. Went into Automotive Sciences (technician) aced all those classes took Metallurgy and Supervision as electives, got Master Mechanic certified, worked a couple months as a Tech before the 2009 market crashed where GM was laying people off by the tens of thousands here in Michigan. With a little one at home and one in the oven I ended up taking a warehouse/delivery driver job with my old man's company and have been here holding the floor down ever since.

I'd need an entire thread to go through every different kind of job I've had. Some of the more relevant highlights include; Night Security Staff at the dorms in college while serving as an Infantry Marine Reservist. I was studying to be a pilot but dropped out (no pun intended), bounced around a few places (again no pun), switched to a Medical Assistant program, was doing well in it but still had to leave before finishing. Went into Automotive Sciences (technician) aced all those classes took Metallurgy and Supervision as electives, got Master Mechanic certified, worked a couple months as a Tech before the 2009 market crashed where GM was laying people off by the tens of thousands here in Michigan. With a little one at home and one in the oven I ended up taking a warehouse/delivery driver job with my old man's company and have been here holding the floor down ever since.
Yup, kids will help shape your resume, that's for sure. When we had the second kid I took a second job. I worked in tool stores, grocery stores, video rental stores, clubs (doorman, bouncer, bar tender, bar back) I did odd jobs around the neighborhood, installed doors, built decks, entryway steps, porches etc. Worked on cars in front of the house. Easy stuff, if I couldn't knock it out in a couple hrs I didn't bother with it. My yard was always very tidy. Best part time job was deck hand on a party boat. Sometimes I'd bring my son. He loved fishing when he was little. He got so good at it people thought he was a midget deck hand.

Yup, kids will help shape your resume, that's for sure. When we had the second kid I took a second job. I worked in tool stores, grocery stores, video rental stores, clubs (doorman, bouncer, bar tender, bar back) I did odd jobs around the neighborhood, installed doors, built decks, entryway steps, porches etc. Worked on cars in front of the house. Easy stuff, if I couldn't knock it out in a couple hrs I didn't bother with it. My yard was always very tidy. Best part time job was deck hand on a party boat. Sometimes I'd bring my son. He loved fishing when he was little. He got so good at it people thought he was a midget deck hand.
There's no better job than getting paid to be on someone else's boat.

mm mine wasn't by choice I had colon cancer in 2002 and just couldn't do the job any more I tried for 6mos. back to work and could only make it about 4hrs. a day and was ready to keel over. I am glad to be alive and enjoy what I have left. Wish I wouldn't have lost my mind as I miss it most.

I bet the college dorm security was interesting to say the least. I have a friend who worked college security for awhile, before he went PD. Said he saw it all just about.

Retired, Boiler operator , electrician 35 years monsanto, and Bayer. Made most of the worlds ABS plastic

I started with the Missouri Conservation right out of high school. Then got the chance to join the union as a plumber/pipefitter. I was there until the 80's when work locally drove me to traveling job sites. I was trying to raise 3 kids nothing would go wrong at the house until I left town to go to work.
Then went to work for the county mowing roadsides to get me insurance for the family. Stayed with this for 17 yrs. I then retired from the union and the county at 63 yrs old. That was 15 yrs. ago.
A piece of advice … do what you want to do as soon as you can. Old age will sneak right up on you along with the medical problems.
Enjoy retirement early!
I've made a commitment to post more often on the sites I belong to, mostly muzzleloading related. Love to read about people and things, just don't post. My wife says I get long winded and I guess this proves her right!
Big John

I started with the Missouri Conservation right out of high school. Then got the chance to join the union as a plumber/pipefitter. I was there until the 80's when work locally drove me to traveling job sites. I was trying to raise 3 kids nothing would go wrong at the house until I left town to go to work.
Then went to work for the county mowing roadsides to get me insurance for the family. Stayed with this for 17 yrs. I then retired from the union and the county at 63 yrs old. That was 15 yrs. ago.
A piece of advice … do what you want to do as soon as you can. Old age will sneak right up on you along with the medical problems.
Enjoy retirement early!
I've made a commitment to post more often on the sites I belong to, mostly muzzleloading related. Love to read about people and things, just don't post. My wife says I get long winded and I guess this proves her right!
Big John
Well I'm both a reader and a writer. Please feel free to post, it won't go unread! Who knows? Maybe sombody will reply.........it could happen!

Enjoy retirement early!
Big John
Post away! You’ve probably forgotten more than most of us know yet.

Enjoy retirement early!
Big John
I’ve threaded a lot of pipe, but the first chance I got to actually fit up and weld some piping was about 4 years ago when we replaced a couple of boilers at the hospital. Only 4” piping, but it was a ball to install. I can imagine after several years of it, it may get old....

Latest posts

Back