Your Name: Why, how and who gave it to YOU! Others you know the story to.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Irish Jack ODonnell

Reaction score
My grandson; Got his name from his father. 10X sign and means "Ten Times" because you have to tell him 10 X's before he responds!
A friends son: "Johnny 1 Pound" christened by his father. Everytime the group does a parade, Johnny shoots at least 1 pound of powder (usually more).
ME: I have 2 names. in 1980, My Fur period is "Mad Buffalo Jack". I played football in NE at a Jr Co., Def End. vs Haskell Inst. for Indians (Now Haskell Native American University in Manhatten, KS. We had a home game and won handily. On a late 2nd half Offensive sweep play I drove through a couple of pulling lineman causing on to fall into the other causing wind/breath loss and followed by horsecollaring (legal back then) the 135 pound running back pulling him off his feet, over me and flat onto his back. and bounced his head on the turf. The result was a grade 2 concussion, and he was taken to our hospital unconscious, but came around by midnight. But he had a 2 day stay. He was released on Monday to return to KS. That next spring out track team was at a weekend invitational meet. I< and a couple other throw event team mates were done Friday afternoon about 4:30pm. After dinner, a couple throwers from Haskell's team invited us and several other throwers to a socializing event art their student center. Our coaches gave permission as did some other competitors. The conversation got around to sports we all compete vs each other. The Haskell guys mentioned "My Play". Chuckles were had, but not me, I was a little worried why. One big Haskell thrower said he'd be right back, less than a minute he walks back to the group with this tiny 5'2" , 135# guy that turned out to be the back. Immediately my teammates start laughing and pointing at me saying"He's your guy!" After a few minutes laughing the back says,"I wish to thank the Big Crazy Buffalo" for allowing me to keep my modest amount of hair. He had a military type buzz. He mentioned when he awoke he felt as though he was trampled by a stamped and pounced on by the biggest, craziest one. So when I started buckskinning, my friends said I be given a name. I told them I was given one by a native American, SD Souix at a school in KS. I told them it was 'Big Crazy Buffalo'. They thought it was to Native American and said it was now Mad Buffalo Jack.
In 1993 I started F&I reenacting primarily. Our group does 1750 through Corpse of Discovery 1820. I have this off center, querky, obnoxious Irish demeanor. I'm a very skilled scout hunter and a little, hell, a lot off. The Ranger guys started calling me Mad Irish and sometimes added Jack. I found out my great 3x grandmother all on my mothers side was an O'Donnell from Erin (Ireland) So, Mad Irish Jack O'Donnell was created. Along with the constant Irish/ Celtic accent for a weekend or longer, I and a Mad Irishman who talks to his voices and WE voice OUR opinions, LOL Someone else's story's.

My nick name is Fyrstyk. I got it on a trail walk 20 years ago when one of my patches started a small fire in the leaves. The name has stuck, and every time I shoot at a trail walk with the same bunch of guys, after I shoot someone will start stomping on the leaves as if they were on fire. It's an old joke, but still gets some laughs. Us old guys are easily amused.

At the local rifle range a "regular" was interested in my flintlock and just mesmerized by the flint/frizzen relationship. A lot of people ask me, "is that a muzzleloader" or something like that. This same guy will always either respond for me or add to my response, "It doesn't pop a cap, he has to spark it off". After a while, everyone at the range referred to me as Sparkitoff.

A good friend from Norway we named "Uffda" (means "Oh ****" in his native language). Had two of these guys from the same country with many different names. I have had many names over the years like many of you, some more colorful than others.

My middle name really is "Buck" named after my fathers favorite uncle. Our uncle's name was George Buck Conner(or) different spellings, he had an interesting background.

My name sake Buck Connors was a fighter, war vet, an actor, appeared in 85 films between 1912 and 1941. He was born in Streator, Illinois, and died as a deputy sheriff in Quartzsite, Arizona in 1946 buried in Quartzsite. He rode with Francisco "Pancho" Villa the Mexican revolutionary general during that war. Starred with several rodeo events including Buffalo Bill's Wild West Shows, then went to Hollywood as a stunt rider and finally as an actor. He carried a Colt 1849 Pocket Revolver (cartridge conversion) from the Villa period right up to the day he died, it was his hide out piece. I have this revolver in our collection today.

The Colt is now a .38 caliber rimfire, 3 1/2-inch round and solid barrel marked with two line maker and Hartford address; two-line two patent date marking on left side of frame; manufactured without a loading gate; rebated cylinder; stagecoach holdup cylinder roll scene; nickel-plated including brass gripstraps; blued screws, wedge and trigger; case-hardened hammer; varnished one piece walnut grips. Seldom observed front sight a German silver blade on steel base dovetailed at muzzle.

DSC_0661__09419.1517269782.1280.1280.jpg

skills.jpg

Last edited:
Those who know me call me "Tom" or "Tommy" and I usually go by that moniker. Although it's not really my name I'm stuck with it. The closest thing to a nickname is my screen name "Hanshi", which is a Japanese honorarium sometimes given to teachers. So far no 4 letter nicknames that have stuck.

my nick name is TOOT. when my father was a small child his older sister couldn't say his real name, so she called him TOOT. and it stuck. so when I was borne I was called TOOT.my father was known as TOOT, all of his life and when he died no one knew his real name so my mother had to add TOOT. in the obituary., so his friends would come. I am 70+++++ and some of my friends that are school chum's say to me TOOT, what is your real name and I say TOOT because, I have been called that for so long that is what I am known as. so I guess when I pass my wife will have to add TOOT to my OBT. now you know the rest of the story.

I was raised in Hawaii where the majority (at that time, at least) were either of Asian or Polynesian descent with broad, short noses, whereas I have a prominent, pointy proboscis. One day in high school I decided to get a crew cut. During the usual after school basketball game I was making a layup and one of the guys yelled out "look at him, he looks like one hawk!" I was known as Hawk ever after. Fast forward to 2000 when I signed in to the Muzzle Loaders Mailing List and had to post a screen name, so I used Hawk. Shortly thereafter I received an email from another member who said HE was already Hawk, so I couldn't use it. After scratching my head a bit, not wanting to give up my nickname and living in Fairbanks, Alaska, I figured that folks associate the far North with Winter, so I came up with Winter Hawk and have used that ever since.

~WH~

I was raised in Hawaii where the majority (at that time, at least) were either of Asian or Polynesian descent with broad, short noses, whereas I have a prominent, pointy proboscis. One day in high school I decided to get a crew cut. During the usual after school basketball game I was making a layup and one of the guys yelled out "look at him, he looks like one hawk!" I was known as Hawk ever after. Fast forward to 2000 when I signed in to the Muzzle Loaders Mailing List and had to post a screen name, so I used Hawk. Shortly thereafter I received an email from another member who said HE was already Hawk, so I couldn't use it. After scratching my head a bit, not wanting to give up my nickname and living in Fairbanks, Alaska, I figured that folks associate the far North with Winter, so I came up with Winter Hawk and have used that ever since.

~WH~

From Hawaii to Alaska!!! That's worse than what I was forced to do going from Ga. to Me.!

My nickname is actually the name my pappy gave to me and his pappy before. When they came to America they dropped the 'e' thinking folk here may not be able to pronounce it. Well, turned out most folk still could not figure it out...

So, on to Mad L; when I joined the Army it turned out my drill Sargent could not figure out how to pronounce it either, so like many before him he just said "FROM NOW ON YOUR NAME IS 'MAD L', GOT THAT!?!! AND YOU BETTER PROVE TO ME THAT YOU ARE THE MADDEST SON OF A *B* HERE!!!" so on and so on as drill Sargents go....
So that became my name, Mad L, and since so many try to pronounce it that way, some timidly, some begin then refuse to say the whole thing some simply say "....Mr Mad.....???".

But personally I will answer to just about anything but please dont call me late to the fire when whiskey is available.

Oh, and my nickname has nothing to do with other things in my life, such as; my past triple diamond ski runs or the eleven hundred 'perfectly good airplanes' I jumped from (for those I was given other nicknames, with back stories of their own)

Did some over the road trucking, mostly groceries and meats and would spend so much time getting unloaded in the ware houses that it would make me late (overdue) for my next pickup so as my name is Bill my CB handle became Overdue Bill.

I got mine from a good friend. I cut a lot of Osage, for making primitive bows. He is from Washington, around Pullman, WA, and don't have osage there. He would come to Oklahoma about every other year to get osage to make bows. He just started calling me McClura, from the Latin name of osage, McClura Pomifera. It has just stuck.
Mike

My name here is my name, found it easier to use, then try and think of one, when I was young and Great grand father was teaching me on his Colt Army 44, it was Davey, until the year I turned 11, and he passed at a 108, he had a h!!! of a life, The Ole man used to call me Leadbutt due to a hunting accident , where I caught some lead in the ass, for years my buddies called me Boomer, due to the fondness for my M79,in the late 60's away in a hot and Humid green land, and later for my use of the 8bore front stuffer hunting pigs and things, 70+ now nicknames for me seem to be a thing of the past

My nickname is actually the name my pappy gave to me and his pappy before. When they came to America they dropped the 'e' thinking folk here may not be able to pronounce it. Well, turned out most folk still could not figure it out...

So, on to Mad L; when I joined the Army it turned out my drill Sargent could not figure out how to pronounce it either, so like many before him he just said "FROM NOW ON YOUR NAME IS 'MAD L', GOT THAT!?!! AND YOU BETTER PROVE TO ME THAT YOU ARE THE MADDEST SON OF A *B* HERE!!!" so on and so on as drill Sargents go....
So that became my name, Mad L, and since so many try to pronounce it that way, some timidly, some begin then refuse to say the whole thing some simply say "....Mr Mad.....???".

But personally I will answer to just about anything but please dont call me late to the fire when whiskey is available.

Oh, and my nickname has nothing to do with other things in my life, such as; my past triple diamond ski runs or the eleven hundred 'perfectly good airplanes' I jumped from (for those I was given other nicknames, with back stories of their own)
Mad L. Thanks for your service. My Godfather was a USMC Lance Cpl.during the Korean Conflict. Thanks again.

Speaking of names folks "allegedly" can't pronounce, mine is rather easy to pronounce. But in the army the drill sergeant, whether it caused him trouble or due simply to his cussedness insisted on calling me "McCungy"!

My sister called me Boo bear since I was born. My wife has calls me Bear, and it was a while before her relatives figured out that wasn't my birth name. My friends call me Gypsy on account that I do a fair amount of trading of various random things I seem to acquire. So it wasn't long before Gypsy and Bear got put together. Most the time people shorten it to either "Gypsy" or "Bear". I can tell you that it sucks sometimes when your hunting partner whispers "Bear", and you answer "what". Only to get a scowl and him shaking his head, while the bear he was looking at runs away.

I have a good friend who was always called "Bear". A great guy but now is many states away.

I would get hurt every once in a while on the job or on the farm, because of my size next to the wife she called me "Wounded Bear" later it got turned into "Wounded Ba'r". Several other names with the muzzleloading crowds, and probably the most famous seen in drag racing magazines with our funny cars was "Yankee Peddler" and "Bandito" with the super stock cars. Those came and went and finally everyone just went back to my middle name of "Buck".

skills.jpg

Last edited:
Back