Your Name: Why, how and who gave it to YOU! Others you know the story to.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually never got the chance to ask it. I kinda doubt they just mosey around with no goal in mind. I'd think they are always on the hunt for vittles. They are silent critters and of all the ones I've seen in the woods only this one made a sound (just one sound) that got my attention.
Mountain Lions are just a larger version with the same characteristics. When we were running mountain lions with the dogs and one was treed, no noise just that tail twitching ..... Had one do that to me in muzzleloading season 30 years ago, he was looking me over. Moved several times, yelled at him even throw a few small rocks, he just wouldn't go away. Finally I told my friend if he got a clear shot kill him, we finished the cats stalk. When checked there was something wrong with her she was on her last legs as skinning as she was. Scary times for both of us.

buck conner.jpg

Hanshi.......I really doubt they're hunting 100% of the time. Going for water could be one. I can come up with many more but i'm sure you know them too.

A cat on the stalk is very obvious. Crouched and moving in slow motion.

And that tail twitching like your cat at home, watching and getting ready to jump. :cheers:

buck conner.jpg

Hanshi.......I really doubt they're hunting 100% of the time. Going for water could be one. I can come up with many more but i'm sure you know them too.

A cat on the stalk is very obvious. Crouched and moving in slow motion.

Predators (just nit picking, here) only "stalk" when they sense something to stalk. Otherwise they patrol their range looking for interlopers, a mate, food sources or water. I guess they can stalk water since water can run. :dancing chicken:

When a cat moves, it has ALL its' sensory tools in + activation. Like any wild animal, they move about their territorial home protecting, hunting and living to survive. When they crouch as they walk you can notice if they are trailing or searching. The eyes are always scanning; If the head is steady low on a slow sneak, they trailing, if they're head bounces up, then down for a few steps here and there, they searching. Their ears are like the deer's. They are constantly moving, searching for that unnatural sound that just pops and causes their flurry of quick moves on flight. If they are startled the start a flee as they also determine their danger level. They'll go to high ground first. They look back and ears back, If they don't perceive imminent danger, they'll flip around for a quick confront and determine definitely whether it is flight or fight. They're one of the quickest, quietest, and stealthiest 4 footed predatory animals on our continent. The record length of a Puma/Mt Lion is in the mid 8+ feet length (nose to rear feet extended.) I saw one measured in Utah in the late 1970's, 8'4.5". It was nicknamed "Three Toes"< since it lost one shot off by a sheep rancher. It's paw with 4 claws, was spread open by a guides TWO hands linked at the pinky fingers. It measured at 10.75" When they shot it 15' up a tree, as it came down to the ground it ripped the left side OFF one of the dogs, but still ran off a cliff falling 150" and need to be lowered 250" more, when retrieved. An unarmed human is lunch for these large males and even the very mature and knowledgeable females A bear and dogs claws are designed to rip and tear. A cats claws will cut like a scalpel. They, wild predatory animals are to be respected.

TPO5RWPN2CSMX5Z44SX3JEROD4.jpg
GUVNUSTOFMWV4BEIQG5A3NT26A.jpg
The viral nature of the photos is understandable, because the cat looks, well, enormous. For reference, Klein stands 6 feet tall and weighs 260 pounds. Klein says the lion weighed more than 200 pounds and has an official Boone & Crockett score of 15 4/16 inches (the world record cat scored 16 4/16 inches).

buck conner.jpg

You lay that big guy out; bottom of the jaw down, nose forward. Stretch the back legs back and place on the ground with the claws up and together; you measure the length from the tip of the nose to the tip of the rear longest paw (If uneven) paws tip. That cat is every bit an 8 footer. and if it's 200+#. Just imagine it dropping on you while twisting your body, say from 12' up in a tree or off a ledge. Good bet it's "Dead on grounding!" Some wild wolves get close to that size, but they let you know they're there! I'm 71 almost 72 yo. I'm 6'1" and 275#. Any wild cat or dog that can stand toe to toe with me and look me in the eye; I hope to not ever give it that opportunity!

Last edited:
Newtire, I got divorced after 15 years and my coworkers told me I was now (like all of them) a "retread". I thought about that awhile and just decided I didn't want to make those same mistakes all over again, so thought that " New Tire" was what I would aspire to be.

A game warden gave me the name Clabber, has to do with the length and loudness of my farts.....tewdogs is my game name and websites moniker.

Latest posts

Back