Youth loads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

50bowhunter

Reaction score
Has anyone done any testing with some light recoiling loads for kids? I know every guns shoots different, I’m talking about field performance on deer sized game.

I would say anywhere from 50-60gr of 777-3F behind a 350gr bullet will work. That is the load I started my 9yr old grandson off with shooting a 350 gr conical with my 45 cal ml.

My youngest son shot a large doe at 35 yards with 60 grains (Volume) of BlackHorn 209 and a 250 grain saboted bullet. It was a pass thru shot with plenty of power and not much recoil. He was 9 at the time.

When I had my CVA Optima V2 50 with BH209 plug, I shot 73 gr. (wt) of BH209 with black mmp smooth sabot and Barnes 45 ACP 185 gr. Super accurate and low recoil. You could drop the powder down for a youth. It did well in Ron's testing even with 50 gr.

I had a very accurate load from my .451 White using a 350 grain bullet on top of 60 grains Pyro Select. Super low recoil and it blew right threw a 3 year old mule deer buck at about 50 yards. He went about 50 yards

I had a very accurate load from my .451 White using a 350 grain bullet on top of 60 grains Pyro Select. Super low recoil and it blew right threw a 3 year old mule deer buck at about 50 yards. He went about 50 yards
How do you like the Pyrodex Select? I recently bought some but haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Started my daughter and her knight Littlehorn have killed 2 deer with 80 grains 777 and a 200 grain SST. The first one may have been at 70 grains, don’t quite remember. But I started her at 40 and slowly worked up until the hinting season. Have the same plans for my son and his new Wolverine.

Between me and Baby Girl, 8 deer with 8 shots from 15 feet to 125 yards ( lasered not guessed and she's a GOOD shot) all save 2 were pass throughs. The load is 40 grains ( volume) of 3f Tripe 7 and a TC Cheap Shot ( 240 grain lead h.p.) sabot of your choice. Chrono'd velocity from a 24 inch Traditions Tracker is 1340 fps. Basic .44 magnum handgun equivalent. Nothing went over 50 yards after the hit. Recoil is quite mild and the Tracker shoots 2 inch 100 yard groups with this load.
Good fortune to you!

My youngest sons 1st deer.
Nearly 15 years ago with a restored original side hammer. (Small gun).
45cal, 215gr lead conical over 50gr BP.
I asked why he shot the smallest 1 of 4 does, his reply - what 4 does? He only saw the 1st. lol
Good luck as these will be great memories!
D1728134-C5EF-4699-853B-879376653CD9.jpeg

How do you like the Pyrodex Select? I recently bought some but haven't had a chance to try it yet.
I really like it. It seems to be pretty accurate. I tested it against Pyro P and Black MZ. It won in my book, although it shot real close to Pyro P. I didn’t shoot it over a chrono so I don’t know how it stacked up velocity wise.

Most people put way too much powder in short barrel, fast twist rifles. Half the powder doesn't have time to burn. I used to shoot 50 gr. 3fff in my Thompson Hawken and it worked wonderful with both ball and maxi. I use the same load in my long barreled flint for target and 80 gr. for hunting. 50 gr. is a pleasant load and it will get the job done.

Most people put way too much powder in short barrel, fast twist rifles. Half the powder doesn't have time to burn. I used to shoot 50 gr. 3fff in my Thompson Hawken and it worked wonderful with both ball and maxi. I use the same load in my long barreled flint for target and 80 gr. for hunting. 50 gr. is a pleasant load and it will get the job done.
I agree, way too much powder. After months of trying to find an acceptable load for a .490 PRB in a .50 cal T/C Treehawk (21' barrel, 1:20 fast twist) I stumbled upon the solution. 55grs of Pyrodex-P (fff), 13/16"denim OPW soaked in melted SPGLube and .018 ticking patch. Who said a fast twist will not shoot PRB accurately? This is the best accuracy I have ever gotten with this rifle with any projectile and powder load, and I have tried them all. Like valkyrierdr said: Back off the powder charge and give it a try in those short barreled fast twist rifles. It might surprise you like it did me

Back