Zero doesn't change with magnification does it?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerGeorge

Reaction score
This is probably a really obvious question, but we're shotgun hunters here in Indiana and I've never used a scope before.

Well, I got a scope for Christmas (Bushnell Trophy 1.75-4x shotgun scope) to mount on the new muzzle loader. Can I assume the aim zero doesn't change when the magnification is changed?

Also, any advice or good threads about the best way to mount and zero the thing?

The point of impact (POI) is not supposed to change due to only changing magnification. I have had scopes that do this though, not all of them were cheap scopes, but it is more common in cheaper scopes. I had one scope that shot the same at the low and high settings, but not in the middle.

Your mount and ring choice will determine how to mount your scope. The biggest problem most people have is over tightening the screws. The screws need to be tight enough to secure the scope under recoil but not too tight where it deforms the tube. If you see ring marks on the tube when you take it off, its too tight. Do a search in google on scope mounting and you will find a lot of info.

As stated above, they aren't supposed to but .......... What I do is adjust my zero in the middle of my power range for instance 3 to 9, I use 6X. It seems to minimize the effect. I have also found that a 6x setting on all my rifles produces my tightest groups. It has good magnification at 100 yards, but yet not so much that you see every movement when you breathe.

Latest posts

Back