52 cal and conicals

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fmfdred56

Reaction score
New ish to muzzleloading and new to the 52 cal and have a couple questions. If I were to want to shoot an over powder wad with my Conicals do I cut it overbore or at bore size? Also would the base of a sabot with the petals cut off work the same? I'm in Colorado and can only shoot Conicals I have some 550 grain round nose and working on having a mold built to cast my own. Thanks guys!

If you have a 52 you should think about paper patching the sharps bullets. You can get a mould from Buffalo arms that will cast to .511 and that will put you at .517 with two wraps of 9# onion skin. Or use a .512 and get .518 finished diameter. Or a .513 and that gives you .519 finished diameter. I think you would be good at .518 but it is hard to tell. You can get bullets weights from 480 grains to 625 grains.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/.46_Caliber_ ... x?CAT=4158

After that I would use an over powder wad that is about .10 to .15 over the bore. I use a .62" over powder wad on my paper patched 50 cal. The wad and the paper protect the bullet from the barrel and flame. The paper protects the barrel from the lead build up.

Fmfdred56 said:
New ish to muzzleloading and new to the 52 cal and have a couple questions. If I were to want to shoot an over powder wad with my Conicals do I cut it overbore or at bore size? Also would the base of a sabot with the petals cut off work the same? I'm in Colorado and can only shoot Conicals I have some 550 grain round nose and working on having a mold built to cast my own. Thanks guys!

A wad is recommended, at least groove diameter if not a few thou over. You can start with 28ga felt wads. I can't help you with sabots.
I made a 500gr GG HP last summer for a 52. Search 52-500 on this site. You may just love this 52!

I found 32 gauge wads that measure .530 so thinking that should work! Also just watched Ron's paper patching video on YouTube doesn't look as hard as I thought it would be. Also I ran a powder coating business for spare money in highschool anyone ever tried powder coating muzzleloader bullets iv had good luck with it in my 44 special?

can somebody post a link that video.. I looked on youtube cannot find it... is it MANNY CA?? like to try a few paper patch bullet in my 52 CAL.. thanks WORM

Fmfdred56 said:
I found 32 gauge wads that measure .530 so thinking that should work! Also just watched Ron's paper patching video on YouTube doesn't look as hard as I thought it would be. Also I ran a powder coating business for spare money in highschool anyone ever tried powder coating muzzleloader bullets iv had good luck with it in my 44 special?

Would you share were you found the 32 gauge wads?

The 52s never did catch-on. Maybe that idea should have been in 54-cal instead, where accessories /options were already currently available. Woulda' been cool to see a 54 in 1-20 twist, allowing conicals a rebirth...... maybe even following the path of the new generation of pistol cartridges coming out in polymer. This is the polymer ammo I use in my 9mm / .380

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/10/6/keefe-report-ruger-ammunition/

A poly Inceptor ARX bullet in 54 cal ..... coming out of a fast-twist 54-cal inline would have excited the industry much-more than the 52 ever dreamed of doing.

GoexBlackhorn said:
The 52s never did catch-on. Maybe that idea should have been in 54-cal instead, where accessories /options were already currently available.

There are actually a ton of bullets that can be used in a .52 with sabots. Always have been. Not many commercially available conicals for any cal these days, but there are some. Most end up casting their own it seems... get the ideal bullet/fit they are looking for.

I know many folks would like to see the .54 come back around, as well as the .45, .36, and .32. Likely ain't ever gonna happen. Just not enough market interest.
Interesting that Tony's favorite caliber was the .52. It certainly hasn't caught on like I'm sure he hoped it would, but its definitely a nice caliber...and the price is right on them for sure.

WV Hunter said:
and the price is right on them for sure.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the current discounts on .52s are to clear out the inventory to drop the caliber.

Upper Hand said:
WV Hunter said:
and the price is right on them for sure.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the current discounts on .52s are to clear out the inventory to drop the caliber.

You might be right. The interesting thing though is the price on .52's has been cheap for the past 3 years. Maybe they just have a ton of stock, who knows. I plan to purchase one before they aren't available any more. :D

In October I bought a Disc .52 in their Freedom series for 317.99 out the door, checked the other day and it was still listed on the website but said it was out of stock.

IMO the only thing wrong with the 52cal was the twist. While the 1-26 is adequate, a 1-24 would have been better for shooting heavy/long projectiles in sabots. Its plenty fast enough for heavy conicals. Doc Whites 54cal was only a 1-28 twist and it shot some monster conicals just fine. My 54-120 1-28 shoots a 580gr just fine too but recoil is brutal in my brush gun.

I would like to have a 54cal inline besides a brush gun. The Rem 50cal 385gr CLHP is really nasty out of my 54-120 with a max load of BH209.

I tell ya what if they are looking to get rid of inventory they ain't very exited about it I ordered my 52 on the 3rd it still hasn't shipped!

Fmfdred56 said:
I tell ya what if they are looking to get rid of inventory they ain't very exited about it I ordered my 52 on the 3rd it still hasn't shipped!

Yeah, shipping is one of the only downsides to ordering directly from Knight. And there is no logical reason why the shipping is always so slow. :huh?:

I keep thinking about pulling the trigger on a Disc 52. I just don't need it.

Fmfdred56 said:

When I bought mine they shipped quickly. The shipping was free and included a "cleaning kit", the cleaning kit was about $15 in shipping. had I known I would have said keep it.

I ordered the bighorn, had decided on the mountaineer but the wife decided she just had to have a new muzzy also so I ordered the bighorn and a little horn youth model for about the same money as the mountianeer lol. And I did NEED a new smoke pole my old pos CVA wasn't made for big lead.

Latest posts

Back