Bad Weather Arrives

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have some wild weather going on here in Washington state too retrieverman. 18°F with a steady 33mph wind with gusts at 60mph+ wind chill is -3°
Edit* forgot to mention the heavy freezing rain that started about an hour ago.

Last edited:
I wanted cold and snow here in N IL/IA- we got a little snow and whole lotta cold. The wind is another story though- that is gonna put a halt to any hunting I wanted to do today. Unless you are in a box blind in our area, virtually impossible to keep warm enough with this wind. The deer have to eat at some point, but I don't think they want to travel very far in this wind and cold to get to that food. What do the rest of you think about hunting in this wind in regard to productivity? Huntwise is giving today five stars??? Hunstand is saying today is a crappy hunting day. Personally, I am not a big fan of Huntwise. Yes, the temp drop was a great movement indicator, but the wind, in my opinion cancels that out.

We live west of Lawton, OK. Woke up at 04:00, wind began howling and gusting to about 60 mph. The temperature dropped 20 degrees in an hour. The lights were blinking off: i was sure the power would fail. Evening temperature was 7 degrees and the wind was gusting to 35 mph.

This morning the temperature is 9 degrees with a wind chill of -9 degrees. High temperature today is forecast at 24 degrees.

A nice warmup is forecast for next week. i need one more deer.

Seems like everyone is on the forums this morning because virtually none of us are headed out to hunt😂. I love late season hunting, and it looks like Christmas Day is going to be a much better hunting day up our way (N IL/IA)-I don't think the wife will be too big on that however.

On my front porch. The wind is still howling. I have no idea what the wind chill might be.
F6952D25-DB12-4A86-BAF2-F4833D9F7161.jpeg

On my front porch. The wind is still howling. I have no idea what the wind chill might be.
View attachment 29158
If you know the wind speed…
A good way to find the wind-chill temperature can be figured by multiplying the wind speed by 0.7 and then subtracting that from the air temperature.

Or this chart

1671808227347.png

Here in west central AL the temp dropped from 51F to 9F at my place overnight. I know that's balmy to many who've posted, but I've worn T-shirts in Nov. thru Feb. The wind blew all night long. In the doldrums wind of any kind is always ominous. At least we're not getting F4 tornados like Dec. 2000.

Latest posts

Back