Blackhorn 209 vs Triple Seven??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This has most likely been discussed on here before but I just wanted I know many of you are big fans of Blackhorn, but I have found in the various muzzleloaders I shoot that I don't gain any more consistency from Blackhorn than I do from Triple Seven (loose powder or pellet form). And I have also noticed that Blackhorn appears to be very "greasy" when I swab the barrel. In other words, it is dirtier than Triple Seven in the guns I'm shooting. I'm curious what all of you are finding regarding the two powders?

Blackhorn appears to be very "greasy" when I swab the barrel
Why would you need to swab? If its just the final clean up how is it dirtier if you had to swab after each shot of Triple7 but didnt need to swab with BH209? If i can shoot basically all day with BH209 (no swabbing) but need to swab virtually every shot with Triple7 that tells me all i need to know about which one is dirtier. :lewis:

Why would you need to swab? If its just the final clean up how is it dirtier if you had to swab after each shot of Triple7 but didnt need to swab with BH209? If i can shoot basically all day with BH209 (no swabbing) but need to swab virtually every shot with Triple7 that tells me all i need to know about which one is dirtier. :lewis:
I always use a dry patch between shots generally, not because I neccesary need to, that is just what I like to do. I even do this with my smokeless.

Yes, no, all depends. This debate will continue for a long time but, it all depends on the specific usage.

BH209... for most hunters, they don't need to swab between rounds. I clearly remember shooting 50 rounds and never swabbing between rounds utilizing sabots. I also remember having to use a drill bit by hand to clean out the flash channel quite often, or accuracy would falter. I also remember asking a local sports shop to order and stock more replacement breech plugs because of flash hole wear and again, accuracy falters. I understand that it appears at times it could be "greasy". Cleaning after shooting uses quite a few patches rather Montana Extreme BH209 cleaner is used or Hoppe's.
Now that I'm not utilizing sabots and when shooting BH, it is necessary to dry patch between rounds for two reasons. One loading force and two the repeated accuracy I'm looking for.

T7....... I might just have some experience with T7, specifically T7M pellets. There is no debating T7 causes a crud ring, in some rifles more than others. It really does require patching between rounds. Butch's Black Powder Bore Shine makes QUICK work of the dirt and crud ring. However, I never had to clean out a flash channel of carbon with a drill bit. I didn't need to replace breech plugs after sending 100 rounds. It never appeared "greasy".
Even after shooting EXTREME charges, the rifle would clean spotless with 5 patches.

I can not clean a rifle as quickly after shooting BH209 as I could after shooting T7. I'll use many more patches cleaning BH than T7. My choice between the two..... BH209 ;)

All depends .... đź‘Ť

Since you all are talking about Bh209 vs. 777. I have a question about the breechplug. So if a breechplug gets burned out from Bh209, can that same breechplug still be used for reliable accuracy using 777?

Since you all are talking about Bh209 vs. 777. I have a question about the breechplug. So if a breechplug gets burned out from Bh209, can that same breechplug still be used for reliable accuracy using 777?
I have no clue. Once a breech plug requires replacement I just throw them out. Someone else may know ?

Dose
I always use a dry patch between shots generally, not because I neccesary need to, that is just what I like to do. I even do this with my smokeless.
Does not mean its right ,just means it makes you feel good and the BH209 means you feel good too (about not doing unnecessary stuff )at least till your done for the day ! Another plus less patches/less wear on your crown /and ramrod / and no tendonitis from excessive/ repetitious unnecessary wear on your arm !!! Other than that carry on !/Ed

This has most likely been discussed on here before but I just wanted I know many of you are big fans of Blackhorn, but I have found in the various muzzleloaders I shoot that I don't gain any more consistency from Blackhorn than I do from Triple Seven (loose powder or pellet form). And I have also noticed that Blackhorn appears to be very "greasy" when I swab the barrel. In other words, it is dirtier than Triple Seven in the guns I'm shooting. I'm curious what all of you are finding regarding the two powders?
I've never thought of BH as being "greasy". You might mean soft. Like really soft. When you reload using BH you're simply pushing the spent residue out of the way.

I've never thought of BH as being "greasy". You might mean soft. Like really soft. When you reload using BH you're simply pushing the spent residue out of the way.
Soft or greasy I get it. Blackhorn is all I've used for the last dozen or so years. I only use Butch's bore shine when cleaning though never tried anything else. Not sure if it makes a difference

I don't agree you have to swab between shots with T7. I've shot up to 25 rounds of T7/FFF at the range with no swabbing and had no problem.

I don't agree you have to swab between shots with T7. I've shot up to 25 rounds of T7/FFF at the range with no swabbing and had no problem.
Never seen anywhere near that shot count if the rifle used 209 primers. Its pretty much swab each time if using a 209 primer and a sabot.

You wont be igniting BH209 reliably with a percussion cap and this is a BH209 vs Triple7 topic so im not sure how the use of percussion fits into all of this?
I believe that the topic of the crud ring was brought up with T7. I use caps in my T7 inlines and it works great no ring so far.

Sure if you got a rifle that is percussion or can be converted from 209 to percussion BUT how is that easier to clean when the entire action now gets filthy from shooting instead of just the bore? The breech on all my rifles is nearly spotless using BH209 and 209 primers. No blast furnace hits the bottom of my scopes.

Sorry just cant see how Triple7 is cleaner in anyway shape or form.

I think i was able to get about 4-5 shots off using caps in my old Thunderhawk. That was with sabots. After that i could not get the sabot past the crud ring. In rifles like the Knight plunger guns, you might as well use Triple7 with caps if you want the cleanest option or at least the least corrosive reliable option.

Latest posts

Back