Carrying a ramrod?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schoolmaster

Reaction score
What is the best way to carry a ramrod? Say you don't want to carry it in the thimbles. I have a brass 4 piece ramrod that screws together and fits in my possibles bag but it is slow to get into action. How do the rest of you carry your ramrod?

If not in the thimbles. I tape it to the side of my shooting sticks.. Works out ok, easily accessable.

schoolmaster, I like to carry mine in the thimble. Guess being reared on the ole longer Flinters for so many years its a habit I have stayed with. Sometimes I will make modicications to ensure the RR is secure & quiet.

carring a ramrod

If you want a portable ramrod , I would suggest one of the 3 piece aluminum shotgun cleaning rods, just remove the handle and you'll have three lightweight easily packable sections. Just put it together when you get to where you're hunting .

I never considered carrying mine anywhere but in the thimbles. From experience I know that if I don't, I'll lose it for sure :) .

I never considered carrying mine anywhere but in the thimbles. From experience I know that if I don't, I'll lose it for sure :) .

RAF said:

I have one SOMEWHERE about 15 miles north of Laramie, WY for that VERY REASON! And remember, without a ramrod you are SUNK! Good thing I ALWAYS carry my XS Backup Power Rod in my pack! I carry my ramrod on the rifle but usually try to remove it at the time of shooting...

I carry mine in the thimble.When I have an ML without a thimble I put it together when I get to or in my stand I can not remember when the time that I used to screw one together cost me a deer but it could happen.

I carry mine in the thimble also, but take it out once I'm at my stand site and put it in my backpack with top portion sticking out . The backpack stays with me either hanging from my stand or attached to tree within easy reach.

Latest posts

Back