CVA Hawken build

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:cheers:  :cheers: 

Jon,

I'll stick with the 2F goex. If you didn't have any luck with 3F, I'll just make it a 2F shooter.  :thumbs up:

SCHUNTER,

I am a lucky guy. Having a rifle rebuilt by Jon is better then getting a brand new one off the rack. I say that because I know Jon went over every inch of the rifle, inside and out, and corrected or fixed, sanded, shaped, stained the stock. He worked that stock until he got a snug fit with the new Douglas barrel. The double set of triggers are silky smooth and I have a trigger that I only have to touch and that R/B will be on it's way after I set the rear trigger. No squeezing needed. 
As far as I'm concerned, it's a brand new CVA Hawken .58 cal "NEW IN THE BOX" that I'm getting :hats off:

Thanks Jon.

Ray............... :thumbs up:

That gun is very attractive. Beautiful job, Jon.  :hats off: 

If it shoots half as good as it looks, you've got a winner, Ray.

Well I shot it and things did NOT go well at all, I am still picking up the pieces  :Questuon:

Nah just kidding!! Shot great, loads super smooth and the patches come out looking like new, other than some powder residue.

One problem I did run into is the rear sight, I have it adjusted ALL the way down and its still 6" high.... at 25 yards! I should have realized sooner that the rear sight was calibrated for the original .400" height front sight.  Luckily TOW sells a front blade sight that is .400" tall and .080" thick and I will just order one of those and install it. Should take care of the high impact perfectly.

Super trigger though! You don't have time to think about pulling it, its just line up the sights, put your finger on the trigger, snug the gun into your shoulder and BOOM!

I did get a video of a couple shots, just to show it shooting, along with some pics. Will get those uploaded later but first, going to order the sight!

:D

Jon, 
Sounds like she's going to be a real shooter when you get the new front sight blade installed. When you get the time post the video. I'm as anxious as all hell to see it making smoke.
TOW is pretty good concerning shipping. Usually you get your order 4 days from the day you place it.
Thanks for the update  :thumbs up:

Ray........  :hats off:

Just some other photos. Once I take it to the 100 yard range, the lighting will be a lot better. The pictures though never show the real beauty.
IMG_2049.jpg

IMG_2050.jpg

IMG_2051.jpg

IMG_2053.jpg

And heres that dern trouble makin sight! LOL
IMG_2054.jpg

IMG_2047.jpg

Jon,

That stain came out fantastic. That red tint seems to be bleeding out of the wood. She's a looker that's for sure. I like the way you antiqued the brass. Seems that that was the way to go with that stain. Great job Jon, great job. I'm really happy with the way it turned out. I'll feel ecstatic once I get it in my hands and I'm making smoke. No rush Jon. Get it all done right and sight it in. She's a beauty.

Ray.......... :thumbs up:

oh no problem! That sight will fix everything as far as point of impact goes lol. She shoots dead center so thats a good thing without having touched the sights.

Ray,  I think you should call her "Ulgy Betty" just so the Misses doesnt get jealous! :cheers:

My wife get jealous every time a gun comes home ....says they get more attention than she does !

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/e5rAoscAMXo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

:cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers: 

Jon,
Lookin' good buddy  :!:  :!:  Lookin' good  :thumbs up: Like Spitfire said, not much recoil at all  8) 

Ray.......... :bow:  :bow:

80gr shuetzen! No recoil at all really, very comfortable load. 90-100 grains is where it should be for accuracy.

Just join ya'll over here and wanted to say, congrats again on your fine rifle. Looks like a good shooter to boot. :hats off:

Back