H4198

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMR4198 is getting almost impossible to find anymore.

Not around here. The local Scheels has maybe 8 jugs. A local gun shop has maybe fifteen jugs on a shelf. 40 miles away another gun shop has a couple cases of it on the floor under a shelf full of it. N110 and N120 are a couple I want to try but I'm not driving 200 miles to pick it up and I am not paying for any hazmat fee. I've got three full pounds of it so I'm fixed for a while since I only use 56-57 grains a pop.

Not around here. The local Scheels has maybe 8 jugs. A local gun shop has maybe fifteen jugs on a shelf. 40 miles away another gun shop has a couple cases of it on the floor under a shelf full of it. N110 and N120 are a couple I want to try but I'm not driving 200 miles to pick it up and I am not paying for any hazmat fee. I've got three full pounds of it so I'm fixed for a while since I only use 56-57 grains a pop.
Good to hear. Wish I could say the same for my area.

Wish I stocked up on it years ago, but at the time I had enough. Im not running out anytime soom though, I dont shoot that much sadly.

That's only 368 loads...

That's only 368 loads...

Right. But around here its a very common powder. I get a lot of Scheels gift card between a birthday in November and Christmas and those have been headed towards powder acquisition so a couple more jugs will likely land here in the next week or so.

And I seldom shoot the smokeless beast more than ten times per outing so gas cost to and from the club will eat up more of my loose change than the powder will. Not worried in the least. lol

I wouldn’t mind doing that for people if I could get the same consideration in return.
I’ve kind of got into turkey hunting this past year and am a fan of the Encore platform, and I’m in the process of piecing together a turkey shotgun. I’ve sold some of my extra Encore parts to fund the project, and it feels like I always sell at wholesale prices but end up paying retail or more for what I want. It’s not my nature, but I’m starting to have the “if you can’t beat them, join them” attitude about selling stuff.
I got a 12 guage ML barrel for my encore.I been wanting to work a load up.Ive killed piles of turkeys, I think it would be cool to shoot one with a ML shotgun.Its got a turkey choke and all.

My last trip to my LGS, they had plenty of 4198 (H,I). I brought the last 2lbs of 1680. They still had 6 - 8lbs of N110. I may slip off over there tomorrow and see if I can pick up a lb or 2.

I use H4198 in my 444 Marlin loads only. I have 1 1/2lbs and will save it for the 444. I was so pleased with N110 and the 195g Barnes that I bought an 8lber. I haven’t tested N120 with the Fury 240g yet, but if I get similar results I’ll buy an 8lber of that also. I am always on the lookout for H4198 though, just not at GB prices.

There’s gold in them thar jugs…
I used to say the same thing when the guys would walk away without policing their brass at the range. I would pick it up bring it back and if necessary tumble it. A man and his money will soon part. And one mans trash is another's treasure

Latest posts

Back