Knight bolt gun custom 2pc breech plug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bestill

MM Sponsor
MM Sponsor
Reaction score
Attn. Knight bolt gun owners.
In June 2016 i offered a custom fit option breech plug to seal primer and tungsten carbide bushing to fix vent liner wear.
This modification has went very well. Ive officially modified over 100 knight bolt guns since release in 2016.

Only thing that's still been a problem is bye design the knight is a front sealing breech plug and over time or heavy loads the mating surfaces of breech plug to barrel will flame cut.

So basically over last 6 months ive studied this issue and thru great input from knight owners and testing a prototype im confident i have the best design possible to deal with all knight bolt gun breech plug issues.

The new design utilizes a 2 piece breech plug. So basically after custom fitting headspace on new system. You green loctite the outer sleeve in gun and then simply install and remove new plug as before. And a 50 cal jag will pass thru sleeve so no cleaning issues.
The key to this system is outer sleeve will never leak then with new plug having rear sealing surface and tungsten carbide bushing it will last virtually lifetime of gun.

New system is 17-4 stainless heat treated to 36 Rockwell.
Basically impervious to corrosion.

I believe this is a awesome fix for the knight owner who wants the best.
New plug system is $105
Installation and return shipping is $95

Only need barrel and bare primer bolt assy or disc bolt with adapter.

Few pictures of new system.

Guys they work perfect . I'm serious they work extremely well with any load . No more leaking at all. Plug can be installed snug not stupid tight and they do not leak and always comes out.

Jeff those are awful nice looking - really would not want to get them dirty!

That sure seems like an awesome project that you took on!

These are for the Mountaineer series??? do you have one for the DISC series? There is an awful lot of DISC's out there!

That looks assume jeff looks like it will work. will you steal be sailing your old mod plug as will for those who may what one of them as will.

sabotloader said:
Jeff those are awful nice looking - really would not want to get them dirty!

That sure seems like an awesome project that you took on!

These are for the Mountaineer series??? do you have one for the DISC series? There is an awful lot of DISC's out there!
Plug can be fitted in any knight bolt gun with bare primer bolt or disc with adapter

a1smokepole said:
That looks assume jeff looks like it will work. will you steal be sailing your old mod plug as will for those who may what one of them as will.

At this time only offering new plug design

Lee 9 said:
It is so sad they don't do it right in the first place.

True, but its absolutely outstanding that there are those who are working outside those companies to make things better for owners. This makes the second great idea that's came to life this year. :yeah:

bestill said:
.......basically after custom fitting headspace on new system. You green loctite the outer sleeve in gun and then simply install and remove new plug as before.........
For me, the blue, and red are familiar; never have seen green. Is there an advantage to use the green instead of the blue for this application?? Will the green allow one to remove the sleeve after years of black powder use? It seems like the sleeve will never be able to be removed after one shoots 777 for awhile. Please forgive my ignorance.

To Bestill, if you take a brand new rifle and install the two piece breech plug, can a person still use a standard knight plug if the need should arise? If not then should the barrel be roll marked "modified breech plug" , for liability issues?

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

Looks good!

5/32" dia flame channel?

7/16" hex head on plug?

Thread diameter of internal plug? Or more important, thread I.D. of the sleeve?

Some of the smaller diameters will snag your patch off your jag when cleaning with the plug removed.

Are these plugs/sleeves on the long end of the spec where it will require a lathe to custom fit the headspace? I've seen some pretty wild ranging (bolt notch, bolt, breech plug, breech shoulder) stack-up issues from one rifle to the next.

Once green Loctite has been used to set the sleeve, I would imagine heat and an easy-out is the only way to remove it?

I realize the warranties on the older Knights are no longer an issue, but this could present a problem on the current rifles.

Another excellent way to skin that cat, for sure. You are probably going to be a little busy retrofitting these new plugs for a while?

You would think Knight would address this issue, at least on their $1,000+ bare primer models?

Busta

I'm sure Jeff will respond . The first plug or sleeve that is installed is big enough that you can push a bullet straight through . I'm pretty sure Jeff told me a .54 cleaning jag with patch can still be pushed through.

I cant see how this would effect Knights warranty in any way . Jeff is not modifying the rifle in any way.

Jeff Headspaces the rifle with the plug . Plugs typically are a little long .

If a person did not want the sleeve or first part of the plug loc tightened in . Simply screw the 2 plugs together and use the plug just like his original Bestill plug .

I have been using a prototype type plug for awhile. All I can say is that it works perfect . My plugs leaking has really been my only complaint with Knight rifles . Jeff and I have talked about trying to do something for a couple of years . My thought was to install a hellicoil then install a plug with a shoulder. Jeff's idea was kind of on my principle but a much better idea. I can not thank Jeff enough for coming up with this design. I really like the fact that you do not have to modify the rifle.
. I am being completely honest when I say that I can not see a down side to this plug other than the expense. I have so much faith in these new plugs that I took Jeff 4 of my Knight rifles to have all 4 guns installed with new plugs.

Wow. Here I thought your first plug (I have one in my UltraLite) was the cats meow. Guess you figured out another way to skin that cat. Very nice Jeff! I like it! :yeah:

Sorry for delayed response but been very busy building custom muzzleloaders .

2 pc plug assembly is basically exactly same as factory mountaineer plug in all dimensions except front of plug is .030 longer than mountainerr plug to allow it to be machined to get proper headspace with any 209 primer.
Plug is designed to accommodate any knight bolt gun. Just need red disc bolt and bare primer adapter or bare primer bolt.

Absolutely no modifications are done to rifle or bolt.

2 pc plug can have sleeve loctited in and utilize rear sealing plug or can loctite plug and sleeve together and use as normal front sealing plug.

I personally dont believe if sleeve is loctited in rifle and for some reason it needs to be removed will be a issue at all.

Im having made a special sleeve removal tool and little heat sleeve will come rite out.

Nothing a machinist cant handle if ever needs removed.

I built this system to outlast gun.

If i could build a knight from scratch it would utilize new plug design in it and sleeve would be in barrel chamber design from the beginning so no sleeve would be needed.

Sleeve o.d. thread. 11/16x 20
I.d. thread 9/16x18

Sleeve i.d. is .516 so plug system will work for 45 and 50 cal.
Bullet and or cleaning jag will freely pass thru sleeve with plug removed.

For 52 and 54 cal plug will be used as normal.

Ive did 100 knight bolt gun custom breech installation and none have been on 52 or 54 cal.

All 50 cal and 45 cal and 80% are 45 cal mostly fast twist models.

Thanks appreciate interest

If i understand correctly, one would cut the nose of the sleeve shorter until the desired crush using one's desired primer is achieved in one's rifle? Then one would install the sleeve, using the plug, and have the plug loose enough to unscrew from the sleeve, leaving the sleeve in the rifle? Then one would drip the green loctite into the threads between the sleeve, and the barrel? Wait 24 hour, then commence shooting the rifle?

Thanks for the detailed response. Much appreciated, and even answered my next question.

The only reason I asked about removal of the sleeve, would be in the rare case of the rifle having to go back to Knight for a receiver/barrel warranty issue. I'm thinking they might frown on your request if the sleeve was still in the rifle?

Busta said:
Thanks for the detailed response. Much appreciated, and even answered my next question.

The only reason I asked about removal of the sleeve, would be in the rare case of the rifle having to go back to Knight for a receiver/barrel warranty issue. I'm thinking they might frown on your request if the sleeve was still in the rifle?

I believe knight will be ok with this upgrade but sleeve would be available separately if needed.

Back