Knight Disc Extreme vs Mountaineer and UL

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rugerbh103

Reaction score
I was just looking at Knights site. The Extreme is on sale for $349. To get into a Mountaineer is about $700, and an UL is $750 plus. For those of you who have handled these rifles, are the UL or Mountaineer substantially better guns than the Extreme? If money wasn't a factor I'd choose the UL, but maybe not at double the cost.

Never owned an inline thats wasn't a Knight plunger gun.. I've been seriously obsessed with MK- 85's for years. Currently have 4 in different configurations and 2 Lk-93's. Before spending the money I need to convince myself I'd actually hunt with the bolt gun over on of my MK's.

You can upgrade the Extreme later with a 45 1-20 barrel kit. $350 even with the $45 shipping its a bargain.

I have slightly older Knights, the ‘Elite’ mostly. A buddy hunts with the Extreme, Lehigh bare primer breech plug. The Extreme is a great gun, easily updatable with the BP or whatever, great trigger.

Besides weight, I don’t know what all one gains with the Mountaineer or UL? I do think either would be a great rifle. I had an absolute mint Mountaineer I acquired used, since I have more than enough I sold it.

I went easy on the deer this season, took a buck at about 120 yards then an anterless at 50 with my Elite.

The extreme fs a fantastic gun, and especially for what they are selling for. Unless you are looking for a fast twist .45, it should do all most people want/need.
All my knight bolts wear the lehigh bare primer setup. So a little extra for the upgrade.

I got my start into muzzleloader hunting with an original Knight disc rifle that was given to me by a now deceased friend who was a Knight rep at the time. I killed what was my “buck of a lifetime” with that rifle, so it holds a special place in my heart.
I say go for it. :lewis:

Thanks for them replies. Still debating myself. I've been so happy with my MK and LK's not sure I'd use it.

MK's are great rifles. You can set them up to be a 200yd gun for sure.
The biggest difference is the disc gives you ability to reliably and safely shoot BH209 powder, and is a much cleaner setup. I have several MK's and several disc... they are both awesome. High quality, very accurate.

I don't know how long this has been going on but apparently Lehigh Defense is again making the Knight bare primer adapters (for Disc and Elite models). That includes the bare primer adapter ($14.50) and the matching breech plug ($16.50). So you pick up the Disc Extreme from Knight for $350, the conversion from Lehigh for $31, and boom, you have a BH209-ready Knight for less than four bills. That's a pretty sweet deal.

Nope, it will be around $350+$31+about $53 in shipping total

Still not bad considering the new Extremes also have real Timney triggers.

Latest posts

Back