Looking for a .308 Tactical .... something!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doohan

Reaction score
Need a good gun with a magazine for a Tac-Shooting School.
Where might I start?

Does CZ make a good gun?

JJ you need one like this!

100_9216.jpg

Dwight,

I'll second that! It was and I am sure still is a great shooting rifle.

p.s. That guy in the background is one handsome dude. 8)

Jack, that sure was a lot of fun....Didn't most of us ding the 800 yard plat with that gun?

Thanks Dwight! I knew what you would say! Is it for sale? :roll: :wink: 8)

You will really like Jimmy's choice! http://www.remington.com/products/firea ... ctical.asp

I am really green when it comes to this stuff but one thing that is really confusing me is the difference between "tactical" and "varmint"

For compairison.. what is the REAL difference between these 2 rifles?

http://www.czusa.com/product_detail.php?id=49

http://www.czusa.com/product_detail.php?id=75

For comparison sakes.. what would be worth 2x more? It surely isnt 2x more accurate?? :huh?:

This gun falls in between the two above.

http://www.steyrarms.com/index.php?id=65

IndianaHunter said:
Jack, that sure was a lot of fun....Didn't most of us ding the 800 yard plat with that gun?

Sure did Patrick!

Doohan, Is there a reason you are not considering the Savage .308 police tactical? Just as accurate as any you listed. Can also get with the McMillan ,Choate or HS Precision stocks.These are also specially bedded.

http://www.savagearms.com/10fphsprecision.htm

doohan . . . get either a savage police tactical, or a remington 700 pss. both have advantages and disadvantages, the main problem w/ the savage is that the stock is tuppeware. but its not tough to upgrade it. ive done a little research on this 8) :D

and yeah . .. you can get the savage w/ an upgraded stock. it just depends on how much you want to spend

n8dawg6 said:
doohan . . . get either a savage police tactical, or a remington 700 pss. both have advantages and disadvantages, the main problem w/ the savage is that the stock is tuppeware. but its not tough to upgrade it. ive done a little research on this 8) :D

and yeah . .. you can get the savage w/ an upgraded stock. it just depends on how much you want to spend

$864.00 with the HS Precision stock and special bedding. Probably get it for $750.00 through a Savage dealer. :D :D

The ONLY reason Savage was out of the picture was becuase it is not clip fed. I hear they have a new tactical gun ready for release very soon that is clip fed.

I also really like the SS trigger on the CZ.

I have been looking at the first one and a diff. IOR scope... a bit less.

I'm lost here too.. .

Ok guys here is the lowdown. In sniper rifles you are paying for fractions of a moa difference in accuracy, shootability and ability to shoot to the same POI hot or cold barrel, dirty or clean, regardless.
You can get a starter gun like the Savage tactical, the Rem 700PSS and learn alot and do some good shooting.
You can go more $$ and get something nicer but more accuratte? who knows till you shoot it.
Or you can go with a real world sniper rifle. The USMC build their own guns from commercial parts. If you find a former match armorer that builds them you can get a fabulous rifle. But they are pricey. I would say one like mine sans scope would cost about 3000-3500 now adays.
1/2 moa accuracy is the bare minimum I would consider acceptable. Most of these guns will shoot 1/3 moa or better at 300 yds with a skilled shooter.
Scopes are a tough choice, The older Mark 4s are decent, the USMC Unertel is a great one and are now or were last year anyways available, and the nightforce scopes have a great product and hold up well. I know the USMC adopted the new Schmidt Bender,I dont know alot about the scope, but I do know alot about what it takes to get one adopted. No doubt it is probably about the best there is.
One note to you guys. Everyone shoots .223 or 308 these days. They are accurate and allow a guy to learn alot. If you are only gonna shoot 600 yds and on paper (not real world) get a 223, if you want a real rifle capable of putting down real targets get a 308, it is easy to shoot well to 800 yds with one.
If I were to get a new rifle for 1000 yd plus shooting I would get a 300 win mag or 300 ultra mag. You can shoot better with a less accurate rifle (within reason) due to the flatness of trajectory, less drift, and decreased angle of target entry. Bottom line, 1000 yds is doable but tough with a 308, pretty darn easy with a 30 magnum. My rifle would be in the M40A1 config exactly except for a little longer barrel. Most of the rifles on the market now have barrels that are to light for real sniper work. Only a few scopes are really worthy of consideration. the Nightforce, the Mark 4, the Schimdt Bender and the Unertel. All the rest are just so much junk in this application.

This is a big subject and one that there are many opinions on. I have mine and for good reasons. You guys know me. I am not a very patient fellow and call them as I see them.

I'd get a Sako TRG-22 or a Remington PSS. Scope-Leupold Mark 4 LR/T.

But why don't you just shoot your .22 Hornet first? :lol:

Latest posts

Back