McGowen?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlink

Supporter
Supporting member
Reaction score
They recently shutdown their Facebook page, right after posting Dan one of the managers was in the hospital. Anyone done any business or spoke with anyone in the last 2 weeks? Just curious if they are shutting things down or just slammed.

They made a good/decent barrel for the money. I have 5 of them in .40 and .45 on SMLs.

I have not purchased a barrel from them in 8+ years so my experience might no longer be relevant as there are a lot of negative recent reviews online.

Last edited:
Many years ago George McGowen rebarreled a 22-250 Rem700 for me…(I saw his ad in American Rifleman circa 1980s ….it was the roughest bore, quickest fouling mediocre shooter I have ever owned…George said 1 moa was well within the standard expectations of the industry and obviously there was no reason to “fix” what wasn’t broken…(22-250 is known for its benchrest level accuracy)

I just chalked that up to experience….
I’m sure his descendants and new operators have updated equipment and business practices but when I see the McGowan name …I feel obligated to offer fair warning ⚠️

Many years ago George McGowen rebarreled a 22-250 Rem700 for me…(I saw his ad in American Rifleman circa 1980s ….it was the roughest bore, quickest fouling mediocre shooter I have ever owned…George said 1 moa was well within the standard expectations of the industry and obviously there was no reason to “fix” what wasn’t broken…(22-250 is known for its benchrest level accuracy)

I just chalked that up to experience….
I’m sure his descendants and new operators have updated equipment and business practices but when I see the McGowan name …I feel obligated to offer fair warning ⚠️
I believe that the people operating Mcgowen in Kalispell, MT have nothing to do with the original in St Anne, IL. The son of the original owner was nothing compared to the father. I mean in quality of product and customer service.

I believe that the people operating Mcgowen in Kalispell, MT have nothing to do with the original in St Anne, IL. The son of the original owner was nothing compared to the father. I mean in quality of product and customer service.
I apologize if I’ve conflated totally unrelated business entities…as I recall the St.Anne McGowen had a son that took over his dad’s barrel business I won’t pretend to know how that went…

Either way…Krieger, Hart, Boughton, Shillen, Wilson Arms and several others have products that rarely get questioned…

I had a buddy send his 700ml back to McGowen several weeks ago to correct a headspacing issues with the LR modules from arrowhead. When he called the guy said they would get right on correcting the issue. After waiting 2 weeks he started calling with no answer or returned messages. He was getting worried they were closing shop

I will say that I used them for 2 builds, the first came back in under 8 weeks and I was shocked at turnaround time, but it had issues with the help of users here have now been smoothed out. My second build took 6+ months and prodding to get it back to me before youth season but I will say that rifle was much nicer than the one with the fast turn around.

Back