Newbie In Need of Help Please

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Newbie In Need of Help Please

Bear Killer B&C said:
No that by volume. I only load by Volume, but thanks

Thanks
Bear Killer

Bear Killer B&C said:
Dang It I knew I misspelled his name. No argument about the barrels. Just stating what I know and what I have used. The brands you mention I wouldn't buy, but that's just me. Not bad rifles just don't like them. Don't like Chevy, or Ford that's why I drive Dodge ?? I hunt with the CVA V2's but especially with my Remington 700 Ultra MZ. Remington also recommends 200 grains of pellets (4) to achieve MOA at 300 yards. I shoot 135 grains of BH 209 by weight and achieve consistent sub MOA at 300 yards and with less recoil exceeding on average 2400 fps .

Bear Killer

Then i assume this was an error if you only load by volume?

Bear Killer B&C said:
This is worth reading for the Remington ( new models) 700 ULTRA MZL. The writer Chuck Hawks/ Randy Wakeman is also on You Tube shooting Remington and TC Pro Hunter. Worth the time.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/remington_ult ... r_faq.html

RW doesn't know 1/2 of what he thinks he knows.

How does this Remington Ultimate compare to the $3000 - $4000 Michigan Ultimate rifle?
The Remington 700 Ultimate is a better gun, as it fixes the numerous design flaws of the Michigan Ultimate that are breechplug and primed brass related. The Michigan Ultimate uses large rifle primers in a large pistol parent case (.45 Winchester Magnum).
Remington recommends repriming their brass 5 times, although they have gone up to 12 times. The Remington brass, based on the .308 case, has a machined chamfer, for a better seal than just attempting to rely on a stamped flash hole, which was found sometimes not to seal in Remington testing. With the chamfer, the primed brass is seated correctly every time, not all over the map. Also, the breechplug itself seals better.
The Remington breechplug is made from 416 stainless hardened to 58 HRC max, a harder and stronger breechplug than the comparatively soft 300 series Michigan Ultimate plug. The Remington breechplug is not only harder and stronger, it does not have the erosion problems associated with four pellet Triple Se7en loads of the Michigan Ultimate plug, according to Remington testing. To summarize, the entire breeching system in the Model 700 Ultimate has been redesigned and the end result is a big, tangible improvement.

Depends on what one considers a better "gun", or rifle. The RU, although a good rifle, doesn't have the quality of barrel that the UF rifles do. Remington uses the same 2 piece breech plug design, however he's correct in that they did harden it. However the RU has certainly had considerable breech plug issues. Most from just plain head spacing problems. Others from head spacing problems and the shooting of BH209, which is still not listed in the Remington Owners Manual as an approved propellant.
Where he comes up with the erosion problems with the UF rifle is a question by itself. If the head spacing is correct and you're shooting the recommended propellant, there's no erosion. I know of one UF owner who's sent over 10,000 rounds through his original breech plug.
RW's claim of repriming cases up to 12 times is a sure fire way to start gas cutting the breech plug nipple. Each case must be checked completely after being used. ANY signs of gas leaking and the case should be thrown out. That could mean the first time primed, or the 3rd time primed.

Bear Killer B&C said:
This is worth reading for the Remington ( new models) 700 ULTRA MZL. The writer Chuck Hawks/ Randy Wakeman is also on You Tube shooting Remington and TC Pro Hunter. Worth the time.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/remington_ult ... r_faq.html

Thats great but it still didnt answer my question. RW is a PAID reviewer. His opinion can and has been bought in the past. Its been what...3 years since the RemUML came out and there still is NO BH209 load data in the manual. Especially loads for over 120gr by volume. Not even Western has released the RemUML "only" data. So what RW says is safe BH209 load data in the RemUML is not relevant in the least.

Not once did he EVER recommend using over 120grV in the Savage MLII yet the factory load data for approved smokeless powders EASILY exceeds BH209 peak pressures.

There is NO WAY on earth you got 2400fps from a 135gr volumetric load of BH209. Running the recoil calculations i doubt your recoil "experience" was much less also. The numbers simply dont add up. It requires 100gr by weight just to reach around 2350fps with a 250gr.

I'm not trying to argue in any way but I was getting 2450 fps with a 275 grain bullet and 2400 fps with a 300 grain Accumax out of my .45 Hankins with 100 grains of Blackhorn 209 by weight . But that's out of a .45 with a totally different ignition system.

Randy Wakeman and Toby Bridges disappoint me . A few years ago when I started to get serious about muzzleloaders and what they could do I read everything I could find that these guys wrote and took their word as gospel. Very disappointing when I figured out that they had a paid opinion . Very very disappointing!

I'm slow I guess..... I'm sending a 300gr bullet setting on top of 180grs of T7 and get 2,280fps in my Ultimate BP Xxpress .50cal. DO NOT TRY THAT CHARGE IN ANY PRODUCTION RIFLE.

I was getting 2350 with 105 gr by weight blackhorn with 270 emax in my custom Omega ,

1874sharpsshooter said:
ENCORE50A said:
1874sharpsshooter said:
I was getting 2350 with 105 gr by weight blackhorn with 270 emax in my custom Omega ,

.45 cal. ?
Yes 1:18 Douglas barrel sabotless 270 emax

I'm sure as Doug stated and you've shown, that the .45's can achieve those speeds. I can't get there with a .50, even with the heavy charges. Must be the sabot :lol:

I can break 2300fps too in my custom SavagePacnor 45 sabotless. I dont have my old range data handy but IIRC it was with a 275gr BE and a pretty heavy load of BH209. That rifle has a 27" barrel also. I dont think i ever clocked a 50cal BH209 load in my NULA. Not really sure since i didnt shoot much of it in that rifle and im not fond of shooting sabots over my chrony.

The point is it takes a lot pf powder just to get there in a 45 and it will take even more to get there in a 50cal. Even direct ignition (LRMP screw in modules) with a 300gr and 120gr by volume just barely breaks 2200fps in a 45cal.

Lol broke 2 chonographs with sabots . One was the very first shot over the new chronograph!

To anyone using Factory BH209 Tubes be aware that they measure about 10 gr less-at least mine do. ( a load showing 90 gr in a tube will really be 100 gr) I have checked all 20 of my factory BH209 tubes against a weighed charge and this is the case for all of them. Be sure to check yours.

Finally got around to shooting my muzzleloader again this past weekend in preparation for this coming season. I loaded 3 tubes of 77 grain of WEIGHTED BH209, put those in the shooting bag and planned to load 3 more at 82 grains WEIGHTED at the range but I forgot the BH209 at home so I only had 3 shots yesterday.

This 3 shot group was done at 100 yards with a 12mph wind directly at my back. It was around 35 degrees so I only let the barrel cool a minute or two between shots.

This was with the harvester sabot and Hornady XTP.

Ignore all the small bullet holes, I was sighting in a new rifle.

bdce21ea4aac86bdcb5326617047d3cf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sabotloader said:
Dave C said:
ENCORE50A said:
RW doesn't know 1/2 of what he thinks he knows.

I couldn't agree more.

and I use to think it was only me that thought Randy was way off base or repeating what he was paid to say!
Nope. Randy is an idiot. I've gotten in many "discussions" with him on another gun forum where he has proven his cluelessness on numerous occasions.

Latest posts

Back