Newbie In Need of Help Please

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timberelk

Reaction score
Please see the attchated picture. I recently picked up a very lightly used TC omega 50 cal that had a clean barrel but slightly dirty/pitted breach lug but the flash hole is good. The shooting was with a konus pro 3-12x50 scope.

I first tried BH 209.. first 90 grains, then 100 then 85 and I was all over the place. Tried pyrodec pellets and they got me shooting consistent.. or should I say consistently inconsistent...

In the below picture, the pink circle is from the first shot after each time I clean it (took the breach plug out and used wet and dry patches every two shots then fired a primer to clear the barrel). The green circle is the second shot but each second shot was after not cleaning it from the first...

However something funny happen in the last two shots.. the first shot hit with the green group which was the second shop group. Then I fired a second shot and it went with the pink group which was the first shot after a clean barrel group. Scope is mounted correctly and locktighted.

What is going on guys?? My hut is in a few weeks and I'm concerned with the grouping of this gun

ac6999130d6d2370584e508f9766771d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Newbie In Need of Help Please

What bullet are you using? saboted or conical? Might want to get a new breechplug too and see if anything changes. A pitted breechplug can't be good, IMO! I assume those groups are at 100yds since the target was for that range?

What bullet are you shooting? It does not look like it is stabilizing

Shooti. The hornady SST 250 grain and 2 pyrodex pellets. Yes doing everything similar... clean barrel with two wet patches and two dry patches, fire a primer to clear barrel and then shoot two shots then clean again

I would still check the scope mounts to make sure they are secure and then try a new scope and rings. You have have something loose in the attachments or inside the scope.

Also, is the crown on the barrel okay?

Crown looks fine... I watched the local gun smith torque the bases and rings down to 25 in lbs and use lock tight.. maybe it's the cheap konus scope?

One thing you can check on the scope is to see if it has a Parallax problem. I had a new scope once do about the same thing. If you can, try putting the rifle back in the same rest and rear bag. Look though the scope at the target, and Without moving the rifle shift your head slightly up-down and to the side while looking at the target. If the crosshair looks like it is moving as you move then the scope has a parallax issue and needs to be replaced. The scope I mentioned had almost 8" of parallax right out of the box. If you have a parallax problem and you don't quite get your head in the same place and look though the scope at exactly the same point you would never hit the target in the same POI.

I'll have to check into the parallax.. it has as adjustable parallax (Adjustbale objective) but I didn't think to check it out. What distance should I check it at?

Timberelk said:
I'll have to check into the parallax.. it has as adjustable parallax (Adjustbale objective) but I didn't think to check it out. What distance should I check it at?

Adjust your objective to be at whatever yardage you are testing. Adjustable objective scope should be parallax free at that condition.

Or all your shoots in the target with BH209 or pellets

The picture of the pink and green circle are with the pellets.. BH 209 was all over the target, no consistent pattern

Understanding that we have no clue how proficient a shooter you may or may not be, in the pink circle, 50% of your shots are excellent. In the green, it appears you have something around a 1 1/2" group with just one outside that opened up the group.

Its a new to you rifle. I'd be sure I had a solid bench and a solid rest and continue shooting and you might just tighten up the group with more practice. I'd shoot to tighten up the groups first, then make scope adjustments. As previously stated, give the barrel time to cool between shots.

I'd also add that especially with BH209 to try a few more shots before you clean. My experience is that a lot of guns shoot as well or better on a dirty barrel.

I shoot a encore with 209 only I only clean the barrel until after I get home. My load is 100 grains and 300 sst . Now with triple 7 I clean in between shots .

ENCORE50A said:
Understanding that we have no clue how proficient a shooter you may or may not be, in the pink circle, 50% of your shots are excellent. In the green, it appears you have something around a 1 1/2" group with just one outside that opened up the group.

Its a new to you rifle. I'd be sure I had a solid bench and a solid rest and continue shooting and you might just tighten up the group with more practice. I'd shoot to tighten up the groups first, then make scope adjustments. As previously stated, give the barrel time to cool between shots.

I am no stellar marksman, but can typically shoot standard center fire rifles right at MOA. My main concern is that I have two separate groups, one clean shot group and one dirty shot group (except for the last two shots which flipped that)

***I forgot to include that my very first two shots of the day hit about 1/2" apart but both were in the green circle***

Why are you pulling the breech plug so often? Its not necessary to do so that frequently. I've noticed that folks new to inlining tend do so this. While there is no harm per se, its a lot of extra work. Swab from the muzzle, use a rod guide and you won't hurt anything, and pull the plug when you're done for the day.
The Omega is the about the best inline made, I'm partial to the Black Diamonds myself, and are pretty straightforward. My old one gave best results shooting 44 caliber XTP's. Noticeably better than the 45' s my BD dotes on. Best of luck!

ENCORE50A said:

I gave the barrel about 2 minutes to cool down after the first shot and then removed the BP and cleaned it and reinstalled the BP the fired a primer to clear out all solvents that weren't picked up with the dry patch. So the barrel had about 10 minutes to cool down

I can typically shoot MOA with standard centerfire rifles. My main concern is that I'm getting two separate groups and can't adjust my scope to shoot 1.5" high at 100 like I'd like it to.

*** forget to include on the original post: my very first two shots of the day were both in the green circle and about 1/2" apart***

Latest posts

Back