Powder - Volume to Weight

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't tell any difference between weighing my charges or measuring them by volume . Volume is a lot faster .

Dougs136Schwartz said:
I can't tell any difference between weighing my charges or measuring them by volume . Volume is a lot faster .

Yep! same here.... but again were I shooting for $$$$'s my mind would feel better with weighed charges - probably wouldn't shoot any different but I would think I might...

The RCBS Chargemaster 1500 combo has one huge benefit over typical volume measures....Zero waste. Takes me a minute to set it up and a few seconds per tube to fill the pan. I dont even have to push anymore buttons. Just replace the pan and it fills another load for me.

When im done the powder hopper has a chute to empty. It all just drains back into the bottle.

GM54-120 said:
The RCBS Chargemaster 1500 combo has one huge benefit over typical volume measures....Zero waste. Takes me a minute to set it up and a few seconds per tube to fill the pan. I dont even have to push anymore buttons. Just replace the pan and it fills another load for me.

When im done the powder hopper has a chute to empty. It all just drains back into the bottle.

Still... what is the extra step worth? no difference in hunting accuracy... and when throwing BH I do collect the cast off - Black Gold is to expensive to waist.

sabotloader said:
GM54-120 said:

Still... what is the extra step worth? no difference in hunting accuracy.

But do you know that?
Unless you shoot a group of 3-5 using volume charges vs a group of 3-5 using weighed, it's just conjecture that it makes no difference.

Since I've proven that my rifle shoots 70 vs. 77 vs. 84 grains of BH209 differently, and since I have noticed like others that every "tap" of a BH tube changes the volume, with the Chargemaster 1500 it takes only seconds to fill each tube with an exact amount and know that I'm doing everything I can to shoot the best possible. I find no reason not to weigh my charges, and every reason to do so since I own the equipment.

Dr. Vette said:
sabotloader said:
GM54-120 said:

Still... what is the extra step worth? no difference in hunting accuracy.

But do you know that?
Unless you shoot a group of 3-5 using volume charges vs a group of 3-5 using weighed, it's just conjecture that it makes no difference.

Since I've proven that my rifle shoots 70 vs. 77 vs. 84 grains of BH209 differently, and since I have noticed like others that every "tap" of a BH tube changes the volume, with the Chargemaster 1500 it takes only seconds to fill each tube with an exact amount and know that I'm doing everything I can to shoot the best possible. I find no reason not to weigh my charges, and every reason to do so since I own the equipment.

Since it seems a million years ago - I can say yes I have done that - the POI changed, but there was no significant change in the size of the group. The POI changed because the thrown charges and weighed charges were not equal. But both charge groups proved to have consistent group sizes.

When I first started I came from shooting centerfire rifle while at the same time loading my own shells. I was really hard for me to believe you could throw accurate charges without weighing. Since those I have found I was wrong - you can and I do.

Latest posts

Back