Sabotless

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fisher1

Reaction score
I'm shooting a converted TC Encore 45-70 barrel and would like to go sabotless. I do not have any sizing gear. I'm looking for recommendations for hunting bullets that would work without sizing. Hunting ranges here in Maine are fairly short 100yds max and very rare. My barrel is from the TC custom Shop when they were in NH.

I shoot the Barnes 250 grain TEZ out of my 2 45-70 CVA Apex conversions. No sizing required, just a knurl to make the bullets fit right. If you can get them to shoot good out of your TC Encore barrel, that's the bullet I would use, especially at 100 yards and less.

Thank you all for your replies. I like the looks of the Fury 45stb 265gr. Smokeless velocities might be a bit much for it though. Will look at the Barnes T-EZ as well.

I'm shooting a converted TC Encore 45-70 barrel and would like to go sabotless. I do not have any sizing gear. I'm looking for recommendations for hunting bullets that would work without sizing. Hunting ranges here in Maine are fairly short 100yds max and very rare. My barrel is from the TC custom Shop when they were in NH.
Hornady 325gr FTX

The OP asked for a sabotless solution for a 45-70 SML conversion. In other words a 45-70 barrel converted to a smokeless MUZZLE loader. You will never get a .458 bullet down through the muzzle with .451 lands. Even .001 over lands and you better be a gorilla with a hammer.

The OP asked for a sabotless solution for a 45-70 SML conversion. In other words a 45-70 barrel converted to a smokeless MUZZLE loader. You will never get a .458 bullet down through the muzzle with .451 lands. Even .001 over lands and you better be a gorilla with a hammer.
Yes it is, similar to my 500

The OP is shooting a muzzleloading rifle that uses smokeless powder so im not following what point or opinion you are trying to convey.

He needs a bullet he can shove down the muzzle without the need to resize the bullet. No 458cal bullet on the planet will help him.

I'm shooting a converted TC Encore 45-70 barrel and would like to go sabotless. I do not have any sizing gear. I'm looking for recommendations for hunting bullets that would work without sizing.

Last edited:
Back