woodman arms adjustable breech plug vs pressure pocket breech plugs ???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffB1961

Reaction score
can you folks explain the difference in these breech plugs ?
their pros and cons vs each other ? is either better than the other ?
do they only last a few hundred shots and then need to be replaced like most other BPs ?
do they use a vent liner or can they be modded to use a vent liner or is a VL not needed with them ?
is it best to just spend a few extra $ and get the high pressure versions ?
or is it better to get the low/medium pressure versions if only BPS will be used (777 fffg) ?
and and how are they used/adjusted ?

https://woodmanarms.com/shop.phppages 5 and 6

I think you’re asking about Woodmans vs a regular OEM plug? Or are you asking about the differences among his plugs. I’ve only used the high pressure version.

Woodman’s adjustable 4-piece plug uses a carbide bushing (flash hole) and allows you to adjust the length of the plug (headspace). The primer pocket screws in and out of the body. This allows the use of any length 209 primer. The user can adjust it for .003-.005 crush on the primer. The result is a very good seal on the primer and no or little blow by. It is also a rear sealing plug instead of a front sealing.

Normal plugs have either a flash hole in the plug that erodes (and then you replace the plug) or a vent liner that erodes (and you replace the vent liner). A carbide bushing is arguably the best at resisting erosion and will last much much longer than the other options. At some point you’d replace the bushing.

Woodman’s design is head and shoulders better than the other options, IMO.

I think you’d want the medium pressure plug for 777. Maybe Mark will chime in or you could call him and ask any questions you may have.

86DF5B0D-F2A1-43FD-B074-2B16C1149908.jpeg

thanks eldiablo . i do plan on calling them but i know they must be very busy with a 20 week wait for orders . i see the bushings now . 1mm and .035 , is one for smokeless and the other for BP ?

If one were shooting a corrosive powder would it be advisable to take that whole thing apart and clean it on a regular basis? Or do you anti seize the heck out of it and just do it periodically?

I would think once you dial it in for your primer of choice you wouldn’t want to mess with it.

Also If a primer gets crushed to far will it go off? Or does it need to be center punched by the firing pin?

thanks eldiablo . i do plan on calling them but i know they must be very busy with a 20 week wait for orders . i see the bushings now . 1mm and .035 , is one for smokeless and the other for BP ?
I have shot both bushings with smokeless and have settled on the smaller one. I would guess that either would work with bp subs and a 209.

If one were shooting a corrosive powder would it be advisable to take that whole thing apart and clean it on a regular basis? Or do you anti seize the heck out of it and just do it periodically?

I would think once you dial it in for your primer of choice you wouldn’t want to mess with it.

Also If a primer gets crushed to far will it go off? Or does it need to be center punched by the firing pin?
Rob, I think I’d clean it regularly if I were shooting anything other than BH209 or smokeless. I don’t think there’s much risk of a 209 going off within reason. I have taken mine apart, put it back together and adjusted headspace a number of times. I find it quite easy once you get the hang of it. I start on the low end by feel and work up to about .003-.004 measured crush.

I wouldn’t force it closed if it felt like it was going to crush it too much.

here's the manual for it , looks to be pre nitride and pre G2 breech plug . and not a long read

https://woodmanarms.com/WOODMAN-ARMS-PATRIOT-OWNERS-MANUAL.pdf
i like that the trigger can be removed for cleaning . it needs to be on it's right side when removing to keep components from falling out .
LOL , my jady just came in and saw a pic of it , she didn't like it .... til she saw the green laminate stock . she said ohhhh , that ones pretty !

.035 = .889 mm

Last edited:
the 45 comes with a 1-18 and 1-24 twist barrel . is the 1-18 the way to go in 45 ? do you know who makes each ? is one better that the other ?

the 45 comes with a 1-18 and 1-24 twist barrel . is the 1-18 the way to go in 45 ? do you know who makes each ? is one better that the other ?
The 1:18” and 1:24” .45s are McGowen, and the 1:20” .45 is a Brux. I have a Brux 1:20” and had a McGowen 1:18” but im not good enough shooter to truly tell the difference. They are both great barrels. The 1:18” shot literally everything very well… light saboted to heavy conicals. Im still trying stuff in the Brux 1:20” but so far its great too.

These plugs are made from 17-4 stainless. This material has such good corrosion resistance that you don't need to worry about it. It does need anti seize during assembly which we do prior to sending them out.
I've never heard of primer crush setting them off, it is way to slow of an action to do that. A lot of primers you will notice the rim actually protrudes higher.

Latest posts

Back