How many states don't allow smokeless ML's?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nic_58

Reaction score
Has anyone ever comprised a list of states that don't allow smokeless ML's in their muzzleloading season? I'm assuming the list that DON'T allow them is shorter than the list that DO allow them these days? I just thought it would be nice to see a list of states where you must still load conventional powders.

I really don't know for sure-- though, I should. Naturally the western "mule-skinner" lobby states require open actions and do some do not allow 209 primers. That takes the most popular inlines off the table, and was the reason for the reintroduction of the Knight Bighorn.

Delaware, NJ, and Michigan come to mind in the eastern states-- MS as well, but their regs are a bit peculiar in other ways. :wink:

Thats a dang good question. I would like to know that myself.

Mississippi would be one. No 209s so obviously no smokeless. Alabama and Kentucky are fine!

Co. is no smokeless,no sabots, no pellets, no scopes.
WI. is Ok to use smokeless, only 1x scopes though
REdclub

I live and hunt in Delaware, no smokeless here. I have never heard of law enforcement asking any one what kind of powder they have in there ML. This is a hot topic in hunting stores, and the word is that a lot of law enforcement shoot Savage ML II. That's all I have to say about smokeless in Delaware.

big6x6 said:
Mississippi would be one. No 209s so obviously no smokeless. Alabama and Kentucky are fine!

That is interesting. I have lived in Mississippi all my life and everyone I know that shoots muzzleloaders have 209 primers. I intermittently hunt with a game warden, and he uses a knight disc extreme, and I use the ML-II.

I can claim ignorance. He may just be overlooking things. I literally know of dozens of guys that use 209s for sure.

I will have to correct my ignorance.

bhanks55 said:
big6x6 said:

That is interesting. I have lived in Mississippi all my life and everyone I know that shoots muzzleloaders have 209 primers. I intermittently hunt with a game warden, and he uses a knight disc extreme, and I use the ML-II.

There are several states where the regs as written are not enforced. :shock: Some CPO's, quite rightfully, have better things to do.

:?: Has ANYONE, ANYWHERE, EVER BEEN CITED FOR USE OF SMOKELESS POWDER ANYWHERE IN ANY MUZZLELOADING SEASON?

Good question there Randy! I have never even seen a PA WCO in the woods while ML huntin (both flintlock & early ML season) and in my 41 years hunting have been checked only once..about 30 years ago. I think those boys have higher priorities then checkin ML powders, ignition systems etc ! I still strickly abide by the law. :D

:D Smokeless is legal in the PA state! In fact, ML regs are becoming more liberal with allowin us flinters now to shoot conicals in the late "flintlock only" season. For many years it was only the patched rb. I think its merely a matter of time until other States update their old regs and follow suit.

bhanks55 said:
big6x6 said:

I can claim ignorance. He may just be overlooking things. I literally know of dozens of guys that use 209s for sure.

I will have to correct my ignorance.

....From MDWFP website...

PRIMITIVE WEAPONS
Primitive weapons for deer hunting are defined as longbows, recurves or compound bows, single or double-barreled muzzleloading rifles of at least .38 caliber, or single or double-barred muzzleloading shotguns loaded with a single ball or slug. All muzzleloading primitive firearms must use black powder or a black powder substitute with either percussion caps or flintlocks. A black powder substitute is defined as a substance designed, manufactured and intended to be used as a propellant in muzzleloading or other black powder firearms, excluding modern smokeless powder. Scopes of any magnification are allowed on primitive weapons. Sidearms are not allowed during primitive weapon season.

I live in MS and use 209s exclusively....as does everyone else that I know that hunts here. I've never been checked for powder or ignition system. We can use smokeless powders in the gun season, but black powder during the ML season.

black3

black3 said:
I live in MS and use 209s exclusively....as does everyone else that I know that hunts here. I've never been checked for powder or ignition system. We can use smokeless powders in the gun season, but black powder during the ML season.

black3

It seems that Mississippi just does not care, that's all.

Modern scopes, modern primers, modern steel, ultra-modern Triple 7-- and it is "PRIMITIVE"?
:?:

Add a GPS, a laser rangefinder, an ATV, and enjoy the "past."

That's a confusing one!

MCee67 said:
No smokless in michigan

That's until a proactive Michigan resident decides to get involved with their top-ranking elected reprentative, and gets a bill introduced to allow it.

RandyWakeman said:
MCee67 said:
No smokless in michigan

That's until a proactive Michigan resident decides to get involved with their top-ranking elected reprentative, and gets a bill introduced to allow it.

Any suggestions? I know a certain liar who tried to get it started here in michigan last year,but we all know how his credentials are now (lol).I have wrote 2 letters but recieved no replies either time.I guess you either need money,power,or a whole lot of people to get things going ?

I have wrote 2 letters but recieved no replies either time.

You've done more than MOST! MOST expect someone else to do it for them! :roll:

Back