2022 Indiana buck

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, been a rough season in Indiana with temps, winds and even snow. But this morning it all came together and I shot the first buck, I’ve taken In 4yrs. Been waiting on a mature buck and something bigger than I’ve already taken but when said and done he is not my biggest but will dry score within 5-6” of being so and if he hadn’t broke his left G4, I’m pretty sure he would have beaten my biggest.
Came in chasing a doe and it was a chip shot for the 45 Omega and Fury STB bullet (15yds) I came up with a green score of 177 2/8” and weighed 227lbs field dressed.
E92AC453-2EF6-4E45-A5B9-9303F48C6349.jpegAD051F54-A17A-4805-ABC9-8097D051BE6E.jpeg

Whoa! That's a honker. Congrats! Broken tine and all.... he must have been a scrapper.

Dang. I think that's him in the bottom two pics. Tines and points seem to match up. What I am amazed at is the pic with the two bucks together. They seem to be standing on flat ground and pretty close together and that one you shot just towers over the other buck and that one is nothing to sneeze at either.

Dang. I think that's him in the bottom two pics. Tines and points seem to match up. What I am amazed at is the pic with the two bucks together. They seem to be standing on flat ground and pretty close together and that one you shot just towers over the other buck and that one is nothing to sneeze at either.

They’re definitely both great bucks. I’ve been very Fortunate to be able to hunt the property I do. It’s private and I’ve hunted it for 42yrs and never paid more than a Heavenly ham and Turkey at Xmas, and a few days a year helping out on the farm.
Definitely have great genes and proper nutrition for them to get big…

Well, been a rough season in Indiana with temps, winds and even snow. But this morning it all came together and I shot the first buck, I’ve taken In 4yrs. Been waiting on a mature buck and something bigger than I’ve already taken but when said and done he is not my biggest but will dry score within 5-6” of being so and if he hadn’t broke his left G4, I’m pretty sure he would have beaten my biggest.
Came in chasing a doe and it was a chip shot for the 45 Omega and Fury STB bullet (15yds) I came up with a green score of 177 2/8” and weighed 227lbs field dressed.
View attachment 27932View attachment 27933
That's a beauty! :thumb:

I’ve been very Fortunate to be able to hunt the property I do. It’s private and I’ve hunted it for 42yrs and never paid more than a Heavenly ham and Turkey at Xmas, and a few days a year helping out on the farm.
I'm well over 20 years at the property I hunt and pay nothing other than some time in the woods doing buckthorn abatement with the owner and sharing some of the sausage and jerky with him and his wife.... she loves the snack sticks. It's a small property but unique in that it offers a lot of shelter for deer being pushed off other properties around us. All I have to do is be patient. The deer will come, most assuredly.

I'm well over 20 years at the property I hunt and pay nothing other than some time in the woods doing buckthorn abatement with the owner and sharing some of the sausage and jerky with him and his wife.... she loves the snack sticks. It's a small property but unique in that it offers a lot of shelter for deer being pushed off other properties around us. All I have to do is be patient. The deer will come, most assuredly.
Sounds like a mutually beneficial relationship between you and the property owner. Hunting grounds like that are priceless.

Sounds like a mutually beneficial relationship between you and the property owner. Hunting grounds like that are priceless.
He heats with wood for the most part. Two years ago he had hip replacement surgery in the winter and things took a turn that kept him in the hospital a while. I drove down to his house and helped his wife fill the furnace twice a day while he was out and during the early recovery at home. 40 miles round trip. I would not have it any other way. I know where the house key is and the garage code to access his wheeler if I should ever need it. We take care of each other and feel that he is my best friend even though we seem to see each other most during the hunting season or when whacking buckthorn. I can't begin to guess how many gallons of buckthorn poison I have brushed on cut stems and stumps. He saws, I brush the poison. We'll cut four to six time a summer, six hours or so at a time, then stack the cuttings to dry and he burns the piles during the winter. That little bit of sweat equity has earned me some really nice permission perks and was well worth the time.

A buddy had a similar hunting site about 50 miles way that was primo. The landowner asked him to help with some fencing one summer day to help offset the basically free hunting he got there and said buddy told him he didn't think he should have to work off any hunting opportunity. He hasn't hunted there since and has no one to blame but himself. He asked if I could get him on the mountain and I said nada.

We should get back on course here with Boonechasers buck. That thing is just incredible.

Latest posts

Back