32 Cal ML

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Reaction score
After reading about them on here, I’m now wanting to try one. The only options I know of are the Cherokee, Crockett, and DeerHunter. What would be your first choice? If there are other options I don’t know about please add them.

If you really, really want a 32 cal then a custom build might be in order. Another option is to have a barrel relined.
Since I’m into custom built 1911’s, I like the way you think, and knowing what I know about having a 1911 custom built, that sounds like a pretty pricey option for what will be mainly a plinking gun.

The crocket and deerhunter are both fine guns, and lower on the price scale. The cherokee is hard to beat, but priced accordingly, Green Mountain drop in barrels for the TC Hawken and Renegade in .32 and .36 are still out there, but a bit pricy...heavy too. Lastly, as far as custom goes, many options and prices to choose from. If you enjoy building, check out Jim Kibler's SMR kit. They are a great value, accurate, and something you can be proud of.

If you really, really want a 32 cal then a custom build might be in order. Another option is to have a barrel relined.
Thats what I was thinkin too. I have a TC High PLains Sporter I've been thinkin bout gettin it rebarreled in either .40 fast twist or in .35 to shoot saboted .32 bullets out of. Even a well built .32 PRB gun or conical shooter is really a versatile small critter ML. Thats what I want it for too.

I have Crocketts and Cherokees, the Cherokees are better made but I prefer to shoot the Crocketts, the stocks fit me better. I also like the way they hang with the slim 3/4” barrel. I have no experience with the deer hunter. The other option would be a CVA Squirrel, they turn up for sale semi regularly on GB.

Thats what I was thinkin too. I have a TC High PLains Sporter I've been thinkin bout gettin it rebarreled in either .40 fast twist or in .35 to shoot saboted .32 bullets out of. Even a well built .32 PRB gun or conical shooter is really a versatile small critter ML. Thats what I want it for too.
My Sporter has a new Hoyt fast twist fourty… an excellent choice!

My Sporter has a new Hoyt fast twist fourty… an excellent choice!
Thanks, My Seneca got rebored by Bob Hoyt to .40 1:37 twist. So I have a .397 sizing die & around 500 - 10mm bullets from 135gr 150gr 160gr 180gr both cast & JHP's. BUt the stock just didn't work with my body. This sporter stock is perfect. So I'd like the sporter to replace the Seneca's use with abit faster twist rate. The .50 round barrel that came with it is 1:60 twist & brand new. I'll prob never use it.

The only powders I have right now are Blackhorn and Pyrodex RS. Would the Pyrodex work in a 32 cal for a plinking load?

The only powders I have right now are Blackhorn and Pyrodex RS. Would the Pyrodex work in a 32 cal for a plinking load?
I'm sure the Pyrodex will. IDK if there'd be enough pressure to use BH 209 in it. Maybe a 5gr Pyrodex/20gr BH 209 duplex will work with #11 cap. Some may get all uptight over something like that, BUt I'd have no prob tryin it. Just light & cautious approach.

I'm sure the Pyrodex will. IDK if there'd be enough pressure to use BH 209 in it. Maybe a 5gr Pyrodex/20gr BH 209 duplex will work with #11 cap. Some may get all uptight over something like that, BUt I'd have no prob tryin it. Just light & cautious approach.
I don’t have any #11 caps, so I’m going to be using 209 primers.

Thanks, My Seneca got rebored by Bob Hoyt to .40 1:37 twist. So I have a .397 sizing die & around 500 - 10mm bullets from 135gr 150gr 160gr 180gr both cast & JHP's. BUt the stock just didn't work with my body. This sporter stock is perfect. So I'd like the sporter to replace the Seneca's use with abit faster twist rate. The .50 round barrel that came with it is 1:60 twist & brand new. I'll prob never use it.
The New Englander barrel is a couple inches longer and fits the HPS stock so that’s what I used for my reline. I have two .40’s now, both fast twist for heavier bullets up to 430 grains. I’m becoming a big fan of the caliber, have a couple of the .45’s too but the 40 is plenty for my needs.

What would be a "reasonable" price for a 32 cal Cherokee in very good condition?

About 6 years ago, I was in the Traditions shop in Old Saybrook, CT. looking for a 36 caliber rifle. They only had one 32 Crockett rifle kit in the shop. The guy said the box was open for some reason and they couldn't sell it as new and couldn't guarantee that all the parts were there. I bought the kit for about $ 180.00 out the door.
I put the kit together, none of the parts were missing.
It was a good shooting gun with the .310 round ball with a .010 patch and 10 grains of 3f Goex powder.
I sold it last year to finance the purchase of a new in box Traditions deerhunter rifle in 45 caliber. I really love the little 45, great round ball gun.

Latest posts

Back