40 or 45 and why

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ambushunter

Reaction score
I am going to be building a smokeless and was planning 45 caliber, but I am now also thinking 40 cal might fit the bill with the increase of manufactures in this caliber.

I'm wondering what most in this group are shooting and what bullet and velocity they are getting with their set ups?

I think the 45 is less finicky.

BH209...... 2,360fps with a 300gr XLD

SML ........ With the different propellants, I keep the average down to around 2,900fps with 300gr XLD's

SML ........ 2,960fps with a 350gr XLD.

40 is great but its also far less forgiving if there is an OOPS!!!

Knowing what kinda bullet weights and speeds you want would be helpful because what i want to shoot 40 sabotless could be way different than what you want.

40 is great but its also far less forgiving if there is an OOPS!!!

Knowing what kinda bullet weights and speeds you want would be helpful because what i want to shoot 40 sabotless could be way different than what you want.
I plan to shoot sabotless regardless of caliber.

I am going to be building a smokeless and was planning 45 caliber, but I am now also thinking 40 cal might fit the bill with the increase of manufactures in this caliber.

I'm wondering what most in this group are shooting and what bullet and velocity they are getting with their set ups?
If you go with a .45 you should still be able to still shoot 40's in sabots.

I plan to shoot sabotless regardless of caliber.
Not really what i was getting at. 4198 in a 45cal for example will work with numerous kinds of loads. In a 40cal that powder will have far less applications. Very few actually. Its burn rate is so fast it would only work with lighter 40cal bullets and moderate speeds. So if shooting a 225-240gr around 2500fps is your bag.....It might work.

40s are far more picky about the powder.

I shot 50 cals from ‘99-‘02, 45s from ’02-‘19 and 40s from ‘01-forever. I have 3 40s and one 45 which is for sale.
I only hunt to 350 yards, but primarily to 200.

40s - less recoil, use less powder, can have flatter trajectory, every bit as accurate, imo are optimized by using full forming with either annealed copper bullets or conventional bullets. However, smooth sizing or just using a 0.400 bullet and knurling (40 XTP, 40 SST, 165/240 CEB). Still has way more energy than is needed. Easier on scopes, shoulders, etc..

45s- lots of proven loads, tons of bullets to choose from, plenty of recoil, can use saboted 40 cal bullets, harder on scopes, shoulders, may induce flinching. Legal in more states - only matters if you are going to hunt a state that doesn’t allow a 40.

I’m starting my 22nd year with 40s, I’ll never go back!

Thinking about western muzzy hunting - a .40 would not be legal in Colorado (for elk/moose), Nevada, Montana and Washington (for anything but deer).
A .40 is not legal here in MA. .45 bore minimum. However, sabots are legal so I load .40s for deer.

Back