.45 vs. .50 the better choice

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adrexco

Reaction score
Hi All,
Newbie here looking into buying a new muzzle loader for a hunt I booked in Ohio where only ML or shotgun is allowed. I've decided that ML will be what I use. So now I'm in for a crash course in ML

I see that 50 cal using 45 (or 44) cal bullets seems to be the most popular. What are the advantages and disadvantages with a 45 cal barrel using 40 cal bullets?

Thanks for comments on your experience!

While the .50 cal is the most popular, there is nothing the .45 can't kill on this continent. You can shoot lightweight .40 caliber bullets in sabots or you can shoot the same bullets the .50 caliber guys use when they use sabots. This gives a lighter recoiling load that will take deer just fine and be easier on the shooter.

You can shoot .45 caliber bullets (SST, Shockwave, Barnes, etc) in the .45 caliber with out a sabot. You may have to size down or knurl the bullets up to get the proper fit in your barrel but a 300 gr SST shot naked from a .45 caliber gun is just as deadly as one that rides in a sabot in a .50 caliber.

I am building a pair of high performance long range muzzleloaders. My goal is 500 yards with enough energy to kill big bull elk while shooting BH209. Each of these guns have .45 caliber barrels. One is .451" and the other is .458".

My hunting ML so far has been a .50 cal Omega with a 300 gr SST with 120 gr by volume 85 gr by weight of BH209. I can accurately shoot 300 yards with this combination although the energy runs a big short for elk.

I have to admit, I've always been a 50 cal fan. That is until this Winter, I've been bit hard by the 45 cal bug. For most practical reasons, either is fine. Most common supplies are for the 50, which may be an issue.

I'm interested with the expected additional FPS with the average 45 projectile. I will setup my chronograph this Spring to compare to my 1950 fs in the 50 cal with a 250 grn SST? So many factors go into an effective setup, just the cal difference is almost immaterial. Some things are almost mostly in the head.

Even with that said, I'm really digging my 45 Cal Elite with a Zeiss 3-9 scope. I did take 2 deer on a Jan anterless hunt, worked superbly. I plan to go with the 45 cal for a while.

The 195/200 grn slug from a 45 cal should give at least 150 more fps than a 250 grn slug from a 50 cal(same charge). I will check myself this Spring. Some 'book numbers' show even more than that. Not that it matters all that much.

Those are very interesting comments. Thanks!

Is there a velocity gain with using 40 cal saboted bullets vs 45 cal saboted (45 vs 50 barrel)?

Is using "naked" common practice, or something of an expert aspect? Are regular rifle bullets used (I assume SST referenced Hornady)?

My thoughts for 45 or 50 were based more on which shoots flatter. It seems there is more to this then I expected!

Hello and Welcome,

As posted above, both will get the job done. I would worry more about what gun to buy and then look at caliber.

I addition, a quality bullet is one of the most important decisions you can make. Of course, if you can hit what you're shooting at ( with kill zone accuracy ) none of it matters.

P.S. I'm currently on a 45 kick and shot my deer last year with one.

Yes, no question that accurate shooting and bullet placement are the most important factors. Also clear is a well constructed bullet. Let's take those as a given.

Next is physics, both fundamental and ergonomics. I haven't made any decisions on either or what is right for me.

On the surface it would appear that a 40 of the same mass would outperform a 45 cal in velocity based on B.C.

I find it difficult to accept this simplistic approach since 50 cal is so much more prevalent. So there must be some soft facts, and that is what I'm trying to understand.

Thanks

With equal weight bullets of the same material and design, the smaller diameter bullet will have:

1. Higher ballistic coefficient
a. Flatter trajectory
b. More energy on target
2. Higher sectional density
a. Better penetration

Some states have minimum caliber requirements for certain game. In Colorado, the .50 caliber is the minimum for elk. In New Mexico, the min for elk is .45 caliber. It all depens on the state regs.

I am just throwing this out there, but double check Ohio laws before you get a .45 cal muzzleloader and shoot .40 cal bullets in .45 cal sabots.

Some states have minimum caliber restrictions on muzzleloaders and you have to read the "fine print." Most regulate bore size and set a minimum of at least .44 caliber. But some talk about minimum size of bullets don't allow .40 cal projectiles. I can't remember if Ohio is like that. I think Illinois is.

IMO, .50 is most popular with modern inlines because .50 was most popular with traditional muzzleloaders when they started to grow in popularity in the 70's and 80's. I think people and manufacturers just stuck with .50 for inlines. Lots of people already had some .50 gear from the .50 T/C Hawken they bought in 1981 so they bought a .50 T/C Black Diamond in 2001 when they went modern...

I shoot .50's. I have two T/C .50 cal Omegas and I like them so much I quit looking for anything else.

I started shooting inlines for the same reasons you are--I hunt Iowa and it is shotgun or muzzleloader. Inline ML's are so much nicer than slug guns. Inlines are more accurate, more interesting, less expensive to shoot, and have less recoil. Both my Omegas will put 3 shots in 3" or under at 200 yds all day and are perfect for the hunting I do.

Have fun with your new ML project and your Ohio hunt.

Ohio State Regulations "Muzzleloading rifle - .38 caliber or larger". That said, still this is the biggest point for 50 over 45.

So far my top choice is a T/C Encore Pro Hunter 28". I like the idea of changeable barrels. Is there something else that I should look at?

Thanks

adrexco said:
Ohio State Regulations "Muzzleloading rifle - .38 caliber or larger". That said, still this is the biggest point for 50 over 45.

So far my top choice is a T/C Encore Pro Hunter 28". I like the idea of changeable barrels. Is there something else that I should look at?

Thanks

Thats the gun I use. you will love it as long as your fingers are long enough to properly manage the trigger.

I have had mine for 4 years and I find that I need no other gun for hunting deer, so I have never bought another barrel. ;)

For myself, I just love the .45's, Knight is my first choice, but the .45 CVA MagHunter will shoot with the best of them also. If you have never shot a .45 find someone that has 1 and give it a try, you'll want to go out and buy one then. :wink: :wink: :yeah:

The inline 45s are REALLY fun to shoot and plenty for deer. The sabotted 40cal bullet and sabot selection is pretty weak but they are very effective.

I have gone over to the .45's for deer hunting. I have a white, rossi and Encore all in .45.

I am currently working on loads for a .45 Encore with a bergara barrel. This past weekend I was shooting 115 gr (volume) charge of bh209 under a barnes 195 gr in the supplied mmp sabot. My avg on the chrony was just about 2350fps with that combo. Accuracy was in the 2" range at 100, so I have a little work on that end. Sighted 2.5" high at 100 would put me in the point and shoot category out to 200 yards, which is my goal. Energy would be just about 1000 fpe for the barnes load at 200 yards.

Next up the 200 gr sst.

The SST's and Shockwave's shot really great out of my Knight's, play around with primers and different wads and see what your gun likes. Go out and pick up some BLOODLINE BULLETS, you'll fall in LOVE with them.

50 cal hands down.

The 45 cal has been a commercial disaster every time its been introduced and IMHO will die again in the commercial market in the next few years.

The 50 cal simply does everything the .45 cal does and better.

IMO the .45 does everything the .50 does. You just have to know how to do it. :shock:

The .45 definitely does everything the 50 does and imo better. The only thing I will give to the .50 is that it has more of a sabot/bullet selection but if someone wanted to go sabotless with the .45 then it will shoot practically most of the bullets the 50 will plus the sabot/bullet combination for the .45. The 195 grain barnes and 200 grain SST does just fine on critters. I have switched back and forth between the two calibers but have went to the .45 and won't be looking back.

I certainly am interested in what you can do with a .45 and the sabotless program, it seems much easier and there are lots more choices than going sabotless in a .50.

However the reason I have .50 calibers is that I live where I can hunt elk every year with a muzzleloader, rifle or bow (have to choose only one though :roll: ) Some of the states that I may hunt elk with a muzzleloader require .50 or larger. And in Colorado its .50 or larger and no sabots.

so many choices so little time! :lol:

What is nice about the .45 is the amimals that I have harvested is it's dead laying on the ground before the .50 bullet is still in flight. :lol: :lol: :wink: :yeah:

Latest posts

Back