.45 vs. .50 the better choice

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can shoot .40's out of a .50 if you so desire with MMP EZ Load Blues.

Anyone have any experience with that combo? Sounds like fun.

One VERY important point that has NOT been mentioned. .

Not all States allow deer hunting with a 45 cal.
But, all States allow it with a 50 cal or better.

Thus, maybe the purchase of your gun should be based upon what a person can legally do with it. . ..

. . ..

As well as the next person who buys it from you.

adrexco said:
Ohio State Regulations "Muzzleloading rifle - .38 caliber or larger". That said, still this is the biggest point for 50 over 45.

So far my top choice is a T/C Encore Pro Hunter 28". I like the idea of changeable barrels. Is there something else that I should look at?

Thanks

Looks like he wants to hunt Ohio with it and already has done his research.

One VERY important point that has NOT been mentioned..

It looks like caliber restrictions were mentioned at least twice before by shguns and AJ. :lol:

guitarpicva said:

Yes you can but the MMP Blue 50x40 is far from a EZ load sabot. Loaded OD is in the .506 range and EZ load sabots are usually .503 or smaller. MMP 50x45 3P-EZ sabots for example are about .500 loaded OD.

Ive never gotten the same level of repeatable accuracy as i get with a MMP or Harvester 45x40 sabot in my 45s, especially when im really pushing non lead bullets like Barnes or Lehighs. Ive gotten the 40-200gr SST to shoot very well though. This problem is even more pronounced in my Savage if i try to use a 50x40 sabot and recommended powders. In my 45s, ive shot some monster BH209 loads accurately and i have not had a single 45x40 sabot failure.

Ive also drilled (sabot failure) more 50x40 Harvester sabots than any others with BH209. The Harvester 50x40 is only available as a Crushrib and it does load fairly easy.

GM54-120 said:
One VERY important point that has NOT been mentioned..

It looks like caliber restrictions were mentioned at least twice before by shguns and AJ. :lol:

I have sometimers. . . sometimes i remember, sometimes I don't. ..

Forgive me on the times I don't! :wink: :)

GM54-120 said:
guitarpicva said:

Yes you can but the MMP Blue 50x40 is far from a EZ load sabot. Loaded OD is in the .506 range and EZ load sabots are usually .503 or smaller. MMP 50x45 3P-EZ sabots for example are about .500 loaded OD.

My mistake, that is NOT an EZ load. Wonder why they are so "fat"? :|

guitarpicva said:
GM54-120 said:
guitarpicva said:

My mistake, that is NOT an EZ load. Wonder why they are so "fat"? :|

They are made 'fat' somewhat on purpose. They are made from a very pliable formulation of polymer. Even the bullet will not seat in them until you push the sabot through the crown of the bore. They will load in most any 50 cal bore from a big 504 White bore to a tighter TC bore. But I must admit they are tight in the tight TC bores.

This picture shows one going down a 502/3 Knight bore...

Target.jpg

While the blue 50/40 sabots allow you to shoot the better bc bullets, they do shoot a couple hundred fps slower than a 45/40 with the same bullet and powder charge. My 50 cal omega and my fathers 50 optima would both will do about 1.5" at 100 yards with the 200 gr SW in the supplied blue sabot. My .45's will do that as well, maybe better, and they chrony at roughly 200 fps faster with the same charge. These differences really start to show if you are shooting past 100 yards.

In states wehre it is legal, if you are looking for a gun that will shoot a higher bc/sd bullet at deer and hunt in areas where you might shoot over 100 yards, I see no reason to choose the 50 cal. I buy 200 gr sst's with mmp sabots for about $8-$10/20 when on sale and have several hundred to keep my .45's shooting and never have a shortage of loads.

Thanks everyone for all the info.

I have a lead on a Encore 209x45. I also have a lead on a 209x50 28" fluted barrel. If I can get the 209x45 at a good price, I'm planning to buy both.

I'll let you know how it works out.

Take a look in the classifieds on here. Might find what your looking for :lol:

IMO the .45 does everything the .50 does. You just have to know how to do it.

So true! :applause:

adrexco said:

I have a lead on a Encore 209x45. I also have a lead on a 209x50 28" fluted barrel. If I can get the 209x45 at a good price, I'm planning to buy both.

Just a heads up...you might want to research the Encore .45 barrels BEFORE you buy one...

toytruck said:
adrexco said:

Just a heads up...you might want to research the Encore .45 barrels BEFORE you buy one...

Are you talking about the ones they had trouble with before? 1:20 twist or something?

chaded said:
toytruck said:
adrexco said:

Are you talking about the ones they had trouble with before? 1:20 twist or something?

Yes, I had one in 1:20 never did get it to group very well, except with powerbelts. TC changed the twist to 1:28 and from what I read they didn't do much better. TC doesn't make a .45 barrel anymore that I know of.

Having said that, I went with a White Super 91 in .451 caliber, 1:20 twist, that thing will shoot conicals like a centerfire, if not better. Put 3 deer in the freezer with it back in Nov. Its my go to ML rifle for deer now. 8)

As a follow up to this question, my T/C Encore Pro Hunter Endeavor 28" barrel in .50 call Arrived Monday.

Tuesday I procured 10oz of BH209, CCI 209 shotshell primers, Hornady .45cal 250gr SST (with their sabots), and Harvester 50/45 crush rib sabots.

Sunday, we'll see how it all work!

Thanks Everyone!

I would say it is more of a personal preference, buy the Pro Hunter if that is what fits you best. Get it in .50 cal you will soon find this sport very fun and addicting. Then once you master the .50 add a .45 cal barrel to your existing gun and go from there. I have owned three ML so far two .50's and now a 45 many people tell me that the 45 will become my favorite. Only time will tell, go out and have fun but be safe and smart while doing it.

Latest posts

Back