.50 Cal Lyman Plains Bullet (Video)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis1

Reaction score
I was gonna put these Together (Lyman Plains, And Maxi) But after the Ignition issues with Swiss Caviar i loaded up and went Home, Dumped the Caviar Out and weighed out New charges of Regular Swiss 2F, Then headed back to the Pit. 

This is as Good of a Bullet as i own, And that’s saying a LOT with all of the Custom Bullet molds i own, Not 1 of my Custom molds is any better than this Stock Lyman Plains Bullet, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND it :ttups: i see these for sale on Forum Classifieds from time to time, And Midway runs Sales on Lyman Molds now n then as well.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/STM7hCAek6I" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

burkeboy said:
Great, thanks for sharing. What is the over powder wad that you use?
1/8” Wool Felt, i prefer them oversize, i use .50 Cal wads in my .45s, 54 Cal Wads in my .50s, and .58 Cal Wads in my .54s

I have used Correct Caliber Wads per Bore with good Luck also, But The Tighter seal of the Larger Wads have always made good sense to me, They definitely Don’t hurt anything

Do u cut your own? If so where do u get your material

Thanks again, great info you share

HA! That shot at the patch of snow cracked me up!

I like the accuracy of those plains bullets! I will have to order the mould and just give them a try without any sizing.

burkeboy said:
Do u cut your own? If so where do u get your material

Thanks again, great info you share
Mine are Store Bought, I get them from Buffalo Arms Since i live so Close to them, and they usually have them in Stock. They are 1/8” Oxyoke Brand, Mine say lubed, But I cannot get any Lube from them? They are VERY Sparing with it.

ueDIrfe.jpg

I have used the Hard Card Wads as well, But i MUCH prefer Wool Felt. I have had more Bad luck with the Hard Card wads than Good, Wool Felt Has been the CRYSTAL Clear Winner For me :ttups:

Jon, Aren’t you Making/Selling these Wool Felt Wads? I will start ordering them From you :ttups:

Yeah I've been turning them out for a  while now. I only go up to 50cal so far. I have to have a punch made in the size I am wanting for .54cal. When I sent the bullet lube i'll send you a package of my 45 and 50s to try out.

FrontierGander said:
Yeah I've been turning them out for a  while now. I only go up to 50cal so far. I have to have a punch made in the size I am wanting for .54cal. When I sent the bullet lube i'll send you a package of my 45 and 50s to try out.
AWESOME Deal Jon!! I would rather buy them from you, i go through a few :D .50 is the most popular for me, that is what i use for my 45s :ttups:

I will PayPal you for a Couple Hundy of the 50s

Idaholewis said:
burkeboy said:
1/8” Wool Felt, i prefer them oversize, i use .50 Cal wads in my .45s, 54 Cal Wads in my .50s, and .58 Cal Wads in my .54s

I have used Correct Caliber Wads per Bore with good Luck also, But The Tighter seal of the Larger Wads have always made good sense to me, They definitely Don’t hurt anything
Did you swab between shots?

burkeboy said:
Idaholewis said:
burkeboy said:

Did you swab between shots?

Yes i do, I use Blue Windex and 91% isopropyl Alcohol, i always say 50/50, But it doesn’t matter the Ratio, when i get low i fill back up with Alcohol, at this point i am probably 80-90% Alcohol.

And for Targets I usually size my Bullets to “Bore Ride” YEP Even the Maxi’s and Lyman Plains :ttups: No need to fight Tight fitting bullets down During a Range Session! The .50 Cal LRH in the Video has a .501 Bore, The Bullets i plan to Target/Bench Shoot get Sized to .500, I want them to just “Kiss” the The Rifling on the Way down. If i am gearing up to Hunt i Size to .502 for this .501 Bore, By doing that the Bullets Grip the Bore GOOD N TIGHT, No worries of them EVER Slipping off the Powder Charge, I also pour my bullets of 1-40 Alloy instead of Pure Lead.

Idaholewis,  I too like to swab between shots.  What do you consider a "swab"?

Do you get different target results when you switch from .500 to .502 in that .501 bore :?:

Marty said:
Idaholewis,  I too like to swab between shots.  What do you consider a "swab"?

Do you get different target results when you switch from .500 to .502 in that .501 bore :?:
Marty,  I wet 1 patch good, Gently squeeze out any Excess (Usually between a Towel on my Hood, or Bench) I push that down the Bore, paying close attention to the Crud Ring area (Short stroke the Crud Ring several times) Then remove and let it fall to the Ground, I then run 2 Dry patches. I point my Barrel straight at the Ground and Pop 1 Cap off straight through, this Breaks any Crud in the Fire Channel/Patented Breech free (you will see the crud Trickle out on the Ground) I then Re Load :ttups: 

GOOD Question, No difference in Target results when i .500 “Bore Ride” Target Shoot, or Shoot the Tighter .502s through it, I have tested this Several times. I would advise anyone that might want to Try this to Make sure and Test like i did to Make sure it doesn’t Change your Grouping, POI

Thanks Idaholewis for sharing your bench :shooter: S.O.P.'s...good info.

Thanks for sharing IdahoLewis. 
I picked up the Lyman Plains boolit mold last spring in .54. 
I like it!
Was casting (pure lead) TC Maxi-Ball prior and they’re fairly accurate outta my TC Hawken with Ox yoke lubed wad. 
The Plains bullets felt a little harder on my shoulder but I guess that’s to be expected. 
I’m hoping to get a go with it this fall on an elk or moose.

Back