.50 caliber 375-425 grain Hollow Point for Wolf

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All this talk of bullet making has me interested. I apologize I don't want to start another hobby but I would love to buy some lead conicals from anyone who would be kind enough to share with me. Perhaps help in testing or pay for mold making as my contribution.
Do you have a way to size them? I would love to try and build one, my only problem is, I haven’t got it EXACTLY figured out how much shrinkage occurs. My last Mold I cut at .515 and it drops .510. The one before that I cut at .513 and it drops .508ish so about .005” on a .50 cal. Key word is about.
i would want to cut it large enough I could use them in my Whites but still be able to get them down to .500ish for your Wolf.
I have built a couple of nose pour hollow base molds and they weren’t difficult. You could even make the pin fir the hollow point adjustable so as to have a deeper or shallower hollow point.

I just sent to No excuses for a sizing kit. Then Ill know what my gun needs. I reload a lot of rifle so I have a press. I can get a sizer if someone tells me what I need.

I was thinking of getting some no excuses 420 bullets after I get the size figured out. May even drill out a hollow point with various bit sizes and depths to create my preference. Let me know what you want me to do.

Just reviewed the accurate molds. 50-385H, 50-385M, 50-400V, 50-400W, or 50-420AM are designs I would be interested in. May we need to do this in a PM.

Just reviewed the accurate molds. 50-385H, 50-385M, 50-400V, 50-400W, or 50-420AM are designs I would be interested in. May we need to do this in a PM.
I’ll look them up. That’s where I get all my designs from. I better order a two cavity mold from him for all the times I’ve tweaked the designs on there. I’ve got one more knee replacement cutting block to do tomorrow on the mill, then I’ll switch the vise out and start cutting mold blocks. I coulda sent you a few different sized bullets for shipping cost. But I just have .4995, .5035, .505, .507. So Dave’s kit is probably a better route. I can size them down to close enough and then you can push them through to get exactly what your gun likes. Not sure how the adjustable dies work. I just build my own for my little hokie press.

Attachments

• 8FFFE422-3F06-4F61-921B-C3A62ADD1B32.jpeg
    8FFFE422-3F06-4F61-921B-C3A62ADD1B32.jpeg
    28.7 KB · Views: 3
  • AAB9BD00-A5D1-4862-B237-9A6E8B7D1EBF.jpeg
    AAB9BD00-A5D1-4862-B237-9A6E8B7D1EBF.jpeg
    26.7 KB · Views: 3
I’ve built a copy of the 50-400W before. I’ll have to see if I can find it in all my crap. Might be able to recenter it in the large and drill out the nose and make a pin for the hollow point. I’ll dig around.

It was actually the very first mold I ever built (helped build). A copy of Docs Buckbuster, shortly after I heard he had gone out of business and I was afraid I wouldn’t be able to get any bullets. I think it came in at 395 grains out of sheet lead. I don’t remember exactly, and I’ve melted down everyone I had cast just the other night. My brother in law worked as a machinist and he helped me do it. Been hooked ever since.

Attachments

• 6A57450E-B64B-4DDD-9583-D40670CF34BB.jpeg
    6A57450E-B64B-4DDD-9583-D40670CF34BB.jpeg
    69.5 KB · Views: 5
Boy was I off, I just found some. 478 grains. I think when I got the 395 grains I weighed 10 in grams and converted to grains and divided by 10. Did something wrong there......

Thats a thing of beauty. With a hollow point it should be just right. Not sure why I worry about expansion anyway. A .50 hole will kill just fine.

Im going to Arkansas to hunt pigs on Friday so Ill be gone for a few days. When I get back Daves sizing kit should be here and Ill get you the info.

Thats a thing of beauty. With a hollow point it should be just right. Not sure why I worry about expansion anyway. A .50 hole will kill just fine.

Im going to Arkansas to hunt pigs on Friday so Ill be gone for a few days. When I get back Daves sizing kit should be here and Ill get you the info.
Lucky you!! Love to try that someday, just don’t know how or where, and don’t want to spend 1k to kill a pig..

Neither do I sdsporter. I have never paid to hunt in my life. Except for licenses, travel, hotels, and gas. Im in Michigan so it still costs to go to Arkansas. I always keep my ears to the ground for someone who will have me. I also offer in return a chance to walleye fish, deer hunt, pheasant hunt, trout fish, turkey, what ever Michigan offers. If I dont do it a friend of mine would. Ive hunted elk 6 times in Colorado on state or Fed land. Killed a 5x5 and a really nice 6x6. busted my a$$ for both of them. Better yet I busted my a$$ and came home with good memories and that was it. I don't mind coming home empty handed. The scenery and camaraderie are worth the trip.

I had a cousin who killed an elk every year by 1 hour after daylight opening day. My dad was not a hunter and was curious what my problem was. I explained I lived out of a backpack and my cousin a warm lodge. I climbed mountains and he sat in a nice comfy blind, I carried elk meat for a day and a half and he had a helicopter carry his out. No, I pay no one to get game. If I cant kill it myself its not worth having.

As far as the pig hunt. I found a gentleman kind enough to have me and a buddy come down. Ive hunted pigs in Florida, Alabama, Georgia, and coming up on Arkansas. I make lifelong friends while im there and that may be the best part.

Neither do I sdsporter. I have never paid to hunt in my life. Except for licenses, travel, hotels, and gas. Im in Michigan so it still costs to go to Arkansas. I always keep my ears to the ground for someone who will have me. I also offer in return a chance to walleye fish, deer hunt, pheasant hunt, trout fish, turkey, what ever Michigan offers. If I dont do it a friend of mine would. Ive hunted elk 6 times in Colorado on state or Fed land. Killed a 5x5 and a really nice 6x6. busted my a$$ for both of them. Better yet I busted my a$$ and came home with good memories and that was it. I don't mind coming home empty handed. The scenery and camaraderie are worth the trip.

I had a cousin who killed an elk every year by 1 hour after daylight opening day. My dad was not a hunter and was curious what my problem was. I explained I lived out of a backpack and my cousin a warm lodge. I climbed mountains and he sat in a nice comfy blind, I carried elk meat for a day and a half and he had a helicopter carry his out. No, I pay no one to get game. If I cant kill it myself its not worth having.

As far as the pig hunt. I found a gentleman kind enough to have me and a buddy come down. Ive hunted pigs in Florida, Alabama, Georgia, and coming up on Arkansas. I make lifelong friends while im there and that may be the best part.
The memories and friends, definitely the best part. A dead hog or deer is eaten and gone in a year but memories last as long as your memory does.
The best thing about memories is they get better with time.
True friends, now that lasts a lifetime.

Lost my best friend last year abut this time. We have pic going back to when we were 5 years old. Im 64 now. We hunted pheasants, deer in Michigan and Wyoming, elk, coyotes, geese, duck, you name it. Yeah man, The pictures and the memories.

I’m switching vises out on the mill tomorrow so I can start the blocks for your bullet.
Ive got kind of a wild idea about making a threaded hollow point pin so you can adjust the depth of the hollow point, or even make it a four sided type point by just changing out the pins
We’ll see how it plays out.

Attachments

• D439420C-E51B-4D90-9DC5-897F602B7022.jpeg
    D439420C-E51B-4D90-9DC5-897F602B7022.jpeg
    30.4 KB · Views: 8
Lost my best friend last year abut this time. We have pic going back to when we were 5 years old. Im 64 now. We hunted pheasants, deer in Michigan and Wyoming, elk, coyotes, geese, duck, you name it. Yeah man, The pictures and the memories.
That’s too bad. Death and loss is sure hard, as I unfortunately know all too well.
I lost a son-in-law to suicide in January. He would have been 25 on Valentine’s Day.
Couldn’t have hand picked a better man to marry one of my girls, and raise my grand children. Hard worker and very talented.
He just couldn’t be here anymore I guess.
I don’t understand that kind of despair. Hopefully someday it will all be alright, and will make sense, right now it doesn’t.

I’m switching vises out on the mill tomorrow so I can start the blocks for your bullet.
Ive got kind of a wild idea about making a threaded hollow point pin so you can adjust the depth of the hollow point, or even make it a four sided type point by just changing out the pins
Got no idea why that pic is upside down????

Got no idea why that pic is upside down????
next time you take a sideways pic with the fone, spin the fone the other way. there are default settings in the fone that determine which way is "top".

Have you ever made a hollow point mold into a non-hollow point mold? I've got a Lyman hp mold that I want the option of both, but don't know how to do it.

sdpporter, sorry for your loss. That is a tragedy. Life had to be difficult for him for some reason. I don't have the wisdom to say the right thing to comfort you. I will say several prayers for you and your family as the days go by.

I look forward to the result. Hope you remember I don't have the talent to pure or make these bullets myself. I will contribute to your work if you give me a PM with information.

next time you take a sideways pic with the fone, spin the fone the other way. there are default settings in the fone that determine which way is "top".

Have you ever made a hollow point mold into a non-hollow point mold? I've got a Lyman hp mold that I want the option of both, but don't know how to do it.
If you just had a shorter pin made would do it, as far as something permanent, I’d have to think on that one. You’d have to affix it permanentlyto one of the halves

Latest posts

Back