.50 caliber 375-425 grain Hollow Point for Wolf

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now, what is the best way to load a conical. That is, what goes between the bullet and the powder.
Cornmeal, oatmeal, cotton ball, etc.????????

yeah sorry. .501 But is there any problem going to .502????
Will .502 hurt my accuracy or is that a gun to gun thing.
if you can load a .502 easy enough you may not notice. Shooting it will tell. I think I have a .502 sizer, I can size to .501 and knurl them lil bit for you. They will be cast 40:1 lead:tin
Now, what is the best way to load a conical. That is, what goes between the bullet and the powder.
Cornmeal, oatmeal, cotton ball, etc.????????
I just use an 1/8" wool wad under the lead flat based conical. Some put a cotton ball under a hollow base. I haven't shot a hollow base. the wad protects the flat base during firing. I set the wad in the barrel, set the bullet on top of it and press the whole thing down together. some load the wad and press it down then load the bullet.

Which of those are your favorite? I’ll be drilling locating pins tomorrow an hopefully boring the bullet.

Which of those are your favorite? I’ll be drilling locating pins tomorrow an hopefully boring the bullet.
I’ll cut whichever you like the best. Any other hollow point shooters, what is the best diameter and depth for the hollow point? I don’t shoot them so I don’t know. I would guess 1/8” - 3/16” deep and about 3/16” diameter or thereabouts

I’ll cut whichever you like the best. Any other hollow point shooters, what is the best diameter and depth for the hollow point? I don’t shoot them so I don’t know. I would guess 1/8” - 3/16” deep and about 3/16” diameter or thereabouts
With a .250” meplat

I would, personally, lose the boat tail. I already have the .900” radius nose profile for the 400W but I can make whichever you like. Disclaimer: won’t be exact, but pretty dang close. The naked eye won’t tell a difference.

Agree with no boat tail. As far as the depth 45-70 seems to have some insight so I would follow his lead. I like a gaping hollow point. As thin at the edges as can be. If I lose some weight on impact because of the hollow point that ok. Still plenty of lead to plow on through. This will be strictly a deer bullet for me so thoughts of double duty on elk isn't in my future . Maximum range for deer is 120 yards. But I do hope to do some longer range shooting just for fun. But thats a secondary issue not primary.

After reviewing them again the 50-385M looks sweet. Think Ive decided to shoot for .502 or .503 diameter. With no excuses sizing kit both load easy and after some serious thumping of the barrel on the floor the bullet doesn't move. With .501 it went down too easy and did move.

I would like to have the bullets in as soft of a material as possible. As stated these are for deer only and I like it when the gun goes bang and the deer is DRT. With this much weight I doubt a deer can stop it except for an end to end shot which I will avoid for obvious reasons. If it expands far enough for the deer to stop it, I have to believe the impact will knock the deer off of its feet and will likely not get back up. Or not go very far anyway with a blood trail you can follow with your eyes closed.

Remember Im green at this. I may be asking for contradictory needs. Keep asking until you get what you need. If something cant be done just say so and offer alternatives if you will.

Thanks big time. Hope I can help you with a project someday.

Last edited:
I’ll cast some with a 0.1875 (3/16”) hollow point 0.200” deep. That will put the end of the hole between the 0.525 and 0.6255 lines on the bullet. That looks about right. With that big meplat it should leave about 0.080” edges at the nose. I like the nose coming out to full diameter like that. The last few molds I have made, I have made that way.

I’m getting the cart a little before the horse here though too, I gotta get the mold done before I can cast anything.

Thank you. Really looking forward to this.
Just finished turning the nose cutter, gotta mill it in half and harden it to make a cutting bit out of it. The 1.000” radius is pretty dang close, the 0.060” radius, I just guessed at with a file. It should be fine. I only have hand machines, so somethings you fudge...
Here is a 10x scaled up pic of how it will look with the hollow point

Attachments

• 8BC72E83-5083-4B14-8AAF-A0B01FBFBAA9.jpeg
    8BC72E83-5083-4B14-8AAF-A0B01FBFBAA9.jpeg
    29.1 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Back