.50 caliber 375-425 grain Hollow Point for Wolf

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want to send me your blocks and pin, I can make a new one for you. Should be super easy. If you wanted a semi-permanent remedy, you could tap a small block with a pin through it to one half of the mold. I'll see if I can create a legible picture of what I'm thinking.

Something like this. I just did this in paint.....

Attachments

• mold mod.jpg
    mold mod.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 12
threading the pin would allow you to get it ABSOLUTELY where you want it, or you could do a totally straight pin and straight hole in the block with a small set screw in the front edge to hold the pin depth.

All this talk of bullet making has me interested. I apologize I don't want to start another hobby but I would love to buy some lead conicals from anyone who would be kind enough to share with me. Perhaps help in testing or pay for mold making as my contribution.
Back on topic, I have a couple of Lee .50 molds but nothing with a hollow point. I have gotten down to just .45 guns right now. I do have a Lee mold that used to be a hollow BASE 360grn mold. I have modified it so it drops a flat base,flat nose about 375-380 grn. I can drop a few bullets tonight and see what diameter they are and send you some. If you like it I will send you the mold to try out and get started casting.

Snapbang, Lee 500-360 specs say .500 diameter. But that's rarely right on. Plus I could knurl them up a couple thou. and put a lil NASA lube on them. Send you a dozen if you want. Or wait and see what you find from your sizing kit.

I've gone to a .45 Accura LR and Encore barrels to get the faster twist and better sectional density. I haven't been able to get the Accura to shoot well. I've shot cow elk with a .50 saboted with .458 gr. Remington 405 gr. bullets (modified with a hollow point) with 75% DRT results out to 220 yards. I read "The Buffalo Harvest" by Frank H. Mayer, and he talked about bullets that were 16:1 lead to tin. He was killing bison out to 300 yards. I've used 400 gr. pure lead bullets from Precision Rifle, and they don't exit on elk. They expand to over an inch, but if the elk doesn't drop, there is no blood trail. I've had them run 75 yards with a heart shot. Online, I've been able to find some bullets with a BHN of 12, which should be close to what a 16:1 bullet is. I haven't had the chance to try them on elk yet. I've tried hardcast, and they will go stem to stern on an elk, but don't kill very fast. I'm curious about what mix you have had luck with. I bought a couple of Lee sizers, and was able to size the Remingtons down to shoot in my .45s. I finally sprung for a Swinglock adjustable die, to get just the right size.

Im in the initial stages of learning what I need. My need is for whitetail in farm country in Michigan. My longest shot may be 120 yards so supper accurate is not an issue. Ive used the expression if I can hit a tennis ball at 100 yards Im good. Ive been using GT Bullets 255 and 305 grain .429 bullets with MMP sabots. My wolf shoots 80-100 grains to the same point of impact and with good accuracy. Ive seen or killed 5 deer with them. 3 DRT and 2 about 35 yards in a sluggish, staggering manner. Frankly these bullets work excellent for me but its always nice to try something different. There is so much tallent here and excellent ideas I cant just sit on the sideline and let it go by without participating.

I think I would like a pure lead bullet. The GT are expanding explosively. See Rons list. They have been tested by him. I shoot them for $.35/ea per shot (bullet and sabot) and they perform perfectly for my needs. Im nuts to chase other options but I have the bug now. :D

Im in the initial stages of learning what I need. My need is for whitetail in farm country in Michigan. My longest shot may be 120 yards so supper accurate is not an issue. Ive used the expression if I can hit a tennis ball at 100 yards Im good. Ive been using GT Bullets 255 and 305 grain .429 bullets with MMP sabots. My wolf shoots 80-100 grains to the same point of impact and with good accuracy. Ive seen or killed 5 deer with them. 3 DRT and 2 about 35 yards in a sluggish, staggering manner. Frankly these bullets work excellent for me but its always nice to try something different. There is so much tallent here and excellent ideas I cant just sit on the sideline and let it go by without participating.

I think I would like a pure lead bullet. The GT are expanding explosively. See Rons list. They have been tested by him. I shoot them for $.35/ea per shot (bullet and sabot) and they perform perfectly for my needs. Im nuts to chase other options but I have the bug now. :D

Perfect can get boring.

:D Always nice to know that someone understands. Is there medicine for it? LOL

By the way I just ran the no excuses sizing pack down the barrel and Im coming up with a .51 barrel bore.

If you just had a shorter pin made would do it, as far as something permanent, I’d have to think on that one. You’d have to affix it permanentlyto one of the halves
Just need to make a shorter pin, have a mould done that way

:D Always nice to know that someone understands. Is there medicine for it? LOL

By the way I just ran the no excuses sizing pack down the barrel and Im coming up with a .51 barrel bore.
.510 ? Or .501? .510 is fairly large from what I have seen. .5075 is my largest .50 cal.

Latest posts

Back