A New Flintlock - My First

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patocazador

Reaction score
I sent the money order off on Friday to get my first flintlock. It's a used custom gun made by Michael Haley.
It's a .45 cal. in the style of a Carolina gun. Green mtn. 13/16" barrel, Davis trigger, small Siler lock in a honey maple stock with a horn toe plate.

MikeHaleyFLTLK_zpsce15ff4d.jpg

311_zpsafd11ec1.jpg

GaryTingler-Rt3-ElkinsWV26241_zpsfff9cd7c.jpg

312_zps98033ef9.jpg

I don't have the rifle yet so I don't know more.

:D 

Bob,
She's a beauty that's for certain. Good luck with her and don't flinch :lol!: 

Ray............... :hats off:

pretty darn snazzy! I really like the way that nose piece section is, ive never seen that before, very unique!

You're ruined now. Your stock of percussion caps will turn green with age.
The reason some people think flintlocks are unreliable or "slow" is because they have only been exposed to ones that have bottom end components. Ain't nothing bottom end on that rifle. Good lock, and the barrel is about as good as you can get. One thing though, if the rifle is new you may need to swab the bore a hundred times or so with steel wool to get sharp edges off the lands. My favorite rifle has a Green Mountain barrel, and until I steel wooled the bore, it shot patterens instead of groups and shredded patches like crazy. 
If you keep your flint sharp and make sure the vent is always clear you will not see any difference between it and a cap gun.

Except that the flint is way more fun.

Can a flint trade gun or musket be far behind?

Oops.
Just reread the OP and saw the gun is used. Forget the stuff about the bore. It should be ok.

From the pictures, it is, at most, slightly used.

The gun was reported to be test fired only. We all know that means it is probably well broke in.  ;) 

The barrel twist is 1:66.

I got an e-mail from the maker and he said that one was the 16th he made. He said he has made ~ 25 now. He also said his craftsmanship has improved since then.

I got a pretty good deal on this one. The asking price was $995 + shipping. I'm sure a new custom one would be $200-500 more.

Nice!!  It's hard to shoot quickly between shots because you have to pause for awhile due to all the laughter and giggling.  You have a fun shooter there. :lol: 

Enjoy!!

Thanks. I hope it will be at least that nice in person.

It was sent this morning and expected delivery is on Monday ... about 4 months from now, it seems.  ;)

Know what you mean Pato....bought a .357 this afternoon but have to wait for the license before I get it .

If you have a concealed weapons license here (Florida), there is no waiting period at all. You walk out with the gun when you buy it.

Over here you have to motivate why you need what you buy and if you are successful you may wait up to 3 months for the damned license !

Well, I was supposed to get my rifle today but just looked at the USPS site and it's sitting in Jacksonville as of 7:30 last night. The local post office said it takes 2 days to get here from Jacksonville. It's only 240 miles. They must have awfully slow trucks.  :x :scratch: 

Back