A Smokin TN Flintlock Hog Hunt Report!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loggy

Reaction score
Thought you guys would enjoy this report with some of you Modern ML guys booked on upcoming Hog Hunts plus some here i hunted with. 10 of 11 hogs were killed with flintlocks with one killed with rifle due to lock failure.

Here's our Hunt Report from my friend & Co-PAO Moderator BerksCoFlinter's pen. Any others on hunt who want to add additional pics, stories etc. ...please chime in!! Only BS accepted!! :lol:

Thanks much & great job chuck!!!

THE HUNT

The Cumberland mountains around Crossville, Tennessee, echoed to the sounds of booming flintlocks for two beautiful southern fall days, November 9-10, 2007. The boar hunt that had been talked about here for the past months, finally arrived as nine of us made it to Loshboughs Hunting Range the evening before the hunt. The remaining two hunters arrived the next day.

The group consisted of some familiar names, some not so familiar, and some brand-new flinters. Shoholaskip(Joe) and his brother-in-law Bill (BLBill) arrived first followed by the BerksCoFlinter(Chuck) and his son, Powderburn(Ken). Loggy(Larry), GreybearJr(Jack), and Onager(Ken) made it to hunting camp next, followed by the two Elk Co. flinters, Grantman(Bill) and the Old Guy(Don). This would be the group to open the first day of stand and still hunting. Metrosean(Sean) and striperjim(Jim) came in Friday afternoon.

Suzie lead us to believe that Friday?s hunt would start casually after dawn after we?d had a good night?s sleep and hearty breakfast following the 12-14 hour drive. Our guides Daniel and Gary had a different plan. Up and out before daylight and on stand before dawn! An apple and a slice of jerky became the ?hearty? breakfast for most. For some reason, the Tennessee air seemed to cause morning headaches and red eyes for a few hunters, but slow movements and pain killers helped quell this strange malady.

Other than our veteran boar hunter, Loggy, this was to be a new experience for the rest of us. New techniques, new territory, and certainly a new animal caused consternation for the remaining pilgrims. The boar hunting takes place within a fenced area consisting of five and a half miles of fencing to enclose the hills and hollows of Loshboughs lease. Once you experience the sheer expanse of this area, the few times you actually encounter any fencing nearly diminishes any sense of an ?enclosure?. An enclosure with open gates and holes cut in the fence.

First thing Friday morning, Berks missed his first opportunity at a boar as it jogged by at 35-40 yards. About 8:45, the sounds of a shot came from the direction of Berks? son. A bit later, Powderburn walked up the trail and asked his Dad if he, ?wanted to know what one looked like?. Powderburn?s boar, the first of the hunt, turned out to be the largest of the two days with a guide-guesstimated weight of 450-500lbs! It would be difficult to describe the creature as beautiful, but it was impressive, taking a guide and three hunters to get it in the Rhino. GrantmanBill scored on a large sow from his perch atop a highwall overlooking a well-used hollow. GreybearJr. completed the first day?s harvest with another huge sow at sunset, while Berks managed to miss another running shot at some pigs stirred up by GreybearJr.

Shoholaskip and BLBill provided our first dinner of two delicious chili choices ? venison and/or turkey, and BLBill?s special mixed salad. Thanks, gentlemen! If I remember correctly, there may have been one or two adult beverages consumed that first evening as well. GreybearJr. brought along many samples of his venison and the amazing things a local Amish butcher turns it into. Thanks, GreybearJr. I know I?ve missed thanking others for their contributions to the many comestibles provided for everyone?s enjoyment during this hunt. Thanks to all!

Saturday morning, after a breakfast banquet of ShoholaSkip?s scrambled eggs, BerksCo?s bacon, Loggy?s scrapple, BLBill?s toast, and many, many other helping hands with juice, jelly and dishes, the FFF Gang (Families, Friends, and Flintlocks)(Onager?s name choice) was charged and primed for the day?s hunt ? we thought!

Then, Daniel and Gary arrived! Two guides, five hounds, a red-necked pick-up with a 12 ft. trailer, the Rhino, and the 100 year old Suburban! Three hogs down and butchered, and eight to go.

When the smoke finally cleared on this second day, hunting stories to last to the end of time (or at least to the end of several old farts memory range), were forged on flintlock frizzens and the fertile minds of each and every long-gunner left without a hog! Loggy christened his beautiful Brad Emig mountain rifle with a ?dropped in its tracks? sow of grand proportions, for the first kill of the, ?day with the dogs?.

I can?t accurately record the sequence of downed wild Russians hogs from this point on, except my own, but I can state without hesitation that many intense moments were experienced for the next few hours. BLBill downed his first ever wild pig on a hill high above the vehicle base. Metrosean hammered another huge sow nearby on a sidehill so steep the pig slid slowly downhill to stop. Back in the creek bottom, Shoholaskip christens his beautiful Yorktown by Brad Emig with a 50 yard head shot on a huge sow.

Somewhere in here in the excitement a frizzen spring breaks, some one dry balls, and Berks misses another pig, this one standing broadside at 40 yards! Onager hammers a huge sow, and the Old Guy downs one with Shoholaskip?s back-up rifle. Let me see, that?s six down and two to go----me, the ?experienced? flintlocker who has missed three at this point, and StriperJim, who has never shot a flintlock, and is 0 for 1!

Daniel tells me to ride along in the Rhino to chase the dogs and load some dead hogs. We approach the sow BLBill downed and there is a young, red boar lying beside the sow?s carcass. He stands up with back bristles standing erect and defiantly faces us. Daniel says shoot, but I?m left-handed and he?s sitting two feet to my left. The boar remains standing, I manage to exit the Rhino, and subdue the beast. Daniel, my now best friend says, ?as far as I?m concerned, that was a 150 yard running shot!?

The trailer now has seven huge hogs arranged side-by-side for the required photo-ops, but striperJim still hasn?t harvested a hog. A check for available flintlocks reveals many problems; broken springs, stuck balls, dry balls, hunters who have missed so many shots they are out of charges, and those successful hunters from the previous day standing weaponless, but demonstrating the necessary shrugs of remorse. The final hog of the day was subdued with a few rimfires from Gary?s .22, but this in no way diminishes the accomplishments of this group of diehard flintlockers who drove the 650+ miles to participate in this first ever hunt.

The accommodations at Loshboughs aren?t four star, but they are clean, comfortable, and inviting, urging you to kick back, to relax, and to enjoy. Our two catered meals were excellent with the Sunday brunch of biscuits, sausage gravy, bacon, link sausage, venison sausage patties, cheese and potato cassarole, scrambled eggs, and fresh fruit amazingly memorable.

It was a hunt I will never forget because I enjoyed with my son, with some old friends, and now, new friends. Thanks especially go to Loggy for suggesting this hunt and taking the lead in holding it together. Those who couldn?t make the hunt for whatever reasons, please try to join us next year if another hunt is planned. Bunky, thanks for your kind additions to the group. We saluted you, several times if I remember correctly. And, finally, thanks to those of you on the forum for indulging our passion of hunting with these fine old weapons!

Powderburn & Grantman

TNHunt--PBGM.jpg

PB & GM's Hogs On Truck

TNHunt-PBHogKensHog.jpg

Liftin The BIG OLE BOY

TNHunt-LiftinPBHog.jpg

GBJ's Nice Hog

tennessee6.jpg

Loggy's FAT SOW & Onagers(Ken) Big HOG

TNHunt-Loggy.jpg

Berks & Skip Havin Fun!!

TNHunt-SkipChuck.jpg

Sean & Striperjim

TNHunt-SeanJim.jpg

Sean, Onager & Skip

TNHunt-SeanSkip.jpg

FOLLOWING ARE GROUP PICS, GUIDES DOGS & BCF Giving Powderhorn to Son Powderburn For Baggin The Largest HOG

TNHunt-GroupB.jpg

TNHunt-Grouppic.jpg

TNHunt-GroupA.jpg

TNHunt-GroupB.jpg

Guide BIG Garry & HIS 45!! ;D

TNHunt-BigGarry-1.jpg

Guide Daniel Busy Taggin HOGS

TNHunt-TagginHog.jpg

Biggest Hog Award Ceremony

TNHunt-Winner.jpg

Guides Daniel & Garry w/Hound

TNHunt-GuidesDogs.jpg

Great story and photos there. Were most of you shooting patched ball? It seems if you were, the old patch and ball will take a hog of some size out.

It sounds like you had some rifle break downs... that is too bad. But overall it sounds like you had a great time. That would be fun to hunt them with a flintlock..

Congratulations to you all...

cayuga said:
Great story and photos there. Were most of you shooting patched ball? It seems if you were, the old patch and ball will take a hog of some size out.

It sounds like you had some rifle break downs... that is too bad. But overall it sounds like you had a great time. That would be fun to hunt them with a flintlock..

Congratulations to you all...

Dave, I did my first TN Hog Hunt totin a Bushnell Elite scoped 10 ML Smokeless launching a 300 Grain Barnes MZ Solid Copper Expander & one hunt with my Leupold scoped White Super 91 .504 throwin a 460 grain No Excuse. Both hunts were very enjoyable but I must admit that an open sighted 54 caliber slow twistin PA Mountain Rifle flintlock with a lubed .018 pillow tickin patch & .535 roundball offered a new undescribable dimension to the hunt!

Of the 11 boars killed ...1 was taken with a powerbelt, 1 with a PR Bullet, 1 with .452 250 xtp & 1 with a rifle due to lock failure. The other 7 were all patched roundball kills.

My hog was taken with a Hornady .535 roundall, .018 pillowtickin patch w/ 75 grains 2fg Swiss. Hog dropped in its tracks. Was an agnlin shot thru the boiler room. Roundball was recovered which i will put pic up later. It was somewhat flattened out (will weigh later). Sorta funny, of my 3 Hog Kills .....this one was the only one that dopped in its tracks!!! :lol:

I have for a long time tried to tell people that roundball are deadly. A lot of people do not trust roundball. They think they are not able to take large powerful game. Yet every deer I shot with a .54 caliber normally dropped where they stood or might have made 15 - 25 yards.

I agree, a flintlock with a patched ball would have been real rewarding.

Below are pics of the 54 Caliber round ball that processor recovered from my wild Boar. I didnt get to talk to processor to see where it was recovered from but all i know is that my PA Mountain Rifle was aimed squarely on the hogs front shoulder with hog quartering towards me at approx 50 yards. It collapsed in its tracks with a few quivers & that was it! Of the 3 hogs I have killed: No.1 with a smokeless Savage 10 ML-II launching a 300 grain Barnes MZ solid copper & No.2 with my White Super 91 .504 In-line thowin a .503 cast 460 grain No Excuse Conical....the "ole roundball" produced the quickest kill. Of course...bullet placement has much to do with it but nevertheless..i was impressed!! :lol:

Based on condition of rb it apparently penetrated thru some heavy bone and/or shield.

I was impressed with the expansion of the ole round ball!!! Over 98% weight retention.

Recovered 54 Caliber .535 Round Ball Beside Original

BulletA-1.jpg

bulleta.jpg

Original 54 Caliber .535 Round Ball On Scale
ScaleB.jpg

Recovered 54 Caliber .535 Round Ball
scaleA.jpg

roundball retain their weight a lot better then people understand. I sure put a lot of deer on the ground shooting them. To take a hog and plant it is an amazing bullet.

Dave, I killed quite a few deer with the 50 Cal. .490 round ball & several dropped in their tracks(neck, shoulder & spine) and the dbl lung hits didnt go any further than a modern bullet hit. I was really impressed though with that .535 54 caliber round ball performance on a tuff Hog!

edmehlig said:
Larry looks like you guys had a great time there, maybe next time, I can make it.

I hope so too Ed!! 2008 Hunt has already been tentatively booked.

Would do ya good to put those scoped White Inlines away & travel back in time a lil !!! :lol:

Thanks Tom. We already booked 2008 11/6-11/10 Fall Flintlock(Only) Hog Hunt. Would love to have ya join us! We have some guys in Western Part of PA you likely could ride with. Let me know if interested.

Also, if anyone here has an interest in joining...just PM me!!

A few more pics that Berks friend Skip(Shoholaskip) sent me. Just gettin around to old emails. Hope i didnt duplicate any. Some are clearer than mine. Anyone else from Hunt have any pics...be sure to addem to this Gallery!!

BCF Passin Horn To Biggest Hog Winner Powderburn (Son Ken)

HornWinner-1.jpg

BCF & His Big Hog!

BCFHog.jpg

Don...Lil Piggie Slayer Celebrating His Great Kill!! :lol:

BigPiieWinner.jpg

Powderburn & Grantman with Huge Hogs!!

PBGMHogs.jpg

Skip( Shoholaskip) & Beautiful Hog!!

SkipHog.jpg

Bill, GM, Loggy & GBJ Relaxing After The Hunt/BSin with Guide Daniel :lol:

SolvingProblems.jpg

Great story Loggy....as usual!