Accurate Molds #50-385M Casting Session

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
I cranked these out this Morning for a Friend, From my Accurate Molds #50-385M, Casted of BACO Certified PURE Lead. These ALL Weigh 399.5 to 400 Grains, 1/2 Grain of Eachother

Oxide Coating Cleaned up nicely :lewis:
Ihpqubll.jpg

u44b3C3m.jpg

He needed .503, This Should do the Trick :)
lOrRI7zl.jpg

I wipe It off with a rag. I too thought there was a secret handshake , but there wasn't!

I cranked these out this Morning for a Friend, From my Accurate Molds #50-385M, Casted of BACO Certified PURE Lead. These ALL Weigh 399.5 to 400 Grains, 1/2 Grain of Eachother

Ihpqubll.jpg

u44b3C3m.jpg

lOrRI7zl.jpg
Very nice bullets.
Do you know the actual ID of the mold to allow you to cast.5035 out of pure lead ? Also did you size those or are they as cast ?
I’m trying to screw up the courage to attempt to make my own mold and it’s advantageous to get close to the right size on my first try.

Ihpqubll.jpg

u44b3C3m.jpg

lOrRI7zl.jpg
Thems Ferocious looking !!!

Very nice bullets.
Do you know the actual ID of the mold to allow you to cast.5035 out of pure lead ? Also did you size those or are they as cast ?
I’m trying to screw up the courage to attempt to make my own mold and it’s advantageous to get close to the right size on my first try.

http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htmThis is a good read if you’re gonna build a mold.

Attachments

• AA111B13-C490-4766-85F7-17D9F6EB2D90.png
    AA111B13-C490-4766-85F7-17D9F6EB2D90.png
    279.5 KB · Views: 7
http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htmThis is a good read if you’re gonna build a mold.
Thanks for the info. It’s nice to have experienced people that will share their knowledge. Up here we are few and far between that are interested in Muzzleloading so local resources are practically non-existent. I consider this site a valuable asset.

Very nice bullets.
I would make sure and err on the large side.
Speaking from several wasted hours and pieces of material. One of the first ones I made, I cut the mold right on. Bullets dropped too small. Figured I had done something wrong, did the exact same thing again, with the exact same results....
I like a .509 drop so I can size to .5075 for my largest barrel, I cut the last mold I built at .509 looking for .503-.504 drop. Didn’t cast with it, sent it to Lewis. I’m sure he will let us know what they drop at.
The one prior to that I cut at .515 and it drops .510. My advice would be to add 0.006” or 0.007” to what you want the FINISHED bullet dimension, and size it down, the final 0.001” or so.
Mold material (heat absorption rate) and casting temp can make a difference in final diameter also.

So that was adding 0.004” to final diameter. A lot depends on the tool being DEAD CENTER in the lathe as well. It takes a LONG time to build one with manual tools. Go a bit big and size it down.

Yeah, i know its completely dif, but that chart shows it being very close in hardness. That cant be true can it? Hardness and shrinkage show very similar.
It came from the internet so it HAS to be true.😂😂😂. I was just looking for a reference before I wasted a bunch more time and effort cutting moulds that were too small. Seems to be pretty close...

Back