American Pioneer Powder Tests

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
This stuff is darn clean and super easy to clean up, No crud ring or anything like that.

My first outing i was pretty worried and kind of pissed off LOL.

My second outing i pushed the 245gr HP Powerbelt onto the powder very firmly and allowed the barrel to cool down a few minutes between shots. I also used the new Remington STS primers. I honestly think i pulled shot #2!! It had to have been a flinch or a trigger jerk.

The holes marked with a marker were my first outing and you can see how much it sucked. Those shots, i seated the projectile lightly on top of the powder and did not allow a cool down. These were also with the CCI Inline MZL primers.
245APP-1.jpg

After 3 shots i took it inside to swab the bore clean.
First patch on the left and the second cleaning patch is on the right. After that it was dry patches only!
245APP001.jpg

113 yards. I think if i up my charge to the 120gr mark, this group will shrink a lot!

Is there an APP powder and an APP "Gold" powder, or are they the same?

gold is the stuff with jim shockeys name on it. Im pretty sure its basically the same powder but just a few bucks more because jims purdy face is on it :lol:

:D 8) :)

The APP GOLD I feel burns a little cleaner then the APP. Plus it costs $5.00 more for the pound. Just for your info........I refilled the tubes 60 times before I ran out of the pound container. All I buy now is the pound of APP GOLD and just refill them before I go to the range and this way I don't have to do anything but pop the cap and pour it down the barrel. No measuring or weighing at the range. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Took the Accura out this evening with 80gr ( 69gr Weight) APP 2F and the 295gr Hollow Points. I used cci inline mzl primers and ive come to figure out that they are just plain ol filthy. My accuras frame is covered in primer soot. Back to the remington sts primers.

First shot was dead on but really low and barely on paper, next 2 were way off but one hell of a tight group! Tomorrow i will try this again with the STS primers.
accura29569w001.jpg

accura29569w002.jpg

:scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

I know there are allot of pros and cons concerning this issue but I can only speak for myself here. No one else :!: :!: :!: :!:
I find that my first shot, with a clean bore, hits where I'm not aiming :!: :scratch: :?: After the second shot they are hitting were I'm aiming :cheers: :cheers: When at the range my first and second shots are at the medal plates. 8) Then I move to the paper. :) No problem after that. :cheers: When I was hunting, I shoot off 3 primers in the cabin before loading up for the hunt. :bounce: No problem with that either. :bounce: First deer taken was heart shot. :!: Thats were I was aiming. :cheers: Dirty barrels work for me :!: :cheers: :!: :cheers:

i left mine dirty for the night. i only have 2 powerbelts left so i want to try them out tomorrow morning and see how they shoot on the fouled bore.

I've never used nor handled APP, only know from the posts that it's chunkier than other powders. Is there a certain technique to seating(light, hard, etc.) the bullet on that stuff to keep the groups tight?

Seat the bullet HARD onto the powder. I feel a lot more recoil due to me seating it hard but its worth it.

I put 27 rounds through my Accura trying out the 100 and 150gr Super Sticks with the 245 and 270gr Powerbelts. The 245s did their normal 2" group @ 100 yards with 100gr SS - STS primers.

Had Two of the 270gr Platinums left in the house so i reloaded and took them out back to the 100 yard range. I originally had them sighted in 1 1/2" high @ 50 with 150gr SS. I used the 100gr SS on these Two shots @ 100.
000_0583.jpg

To my amazement, one of the 270's blew right through my sand bucket. That sand was nasty as hell too. You can see from the pictures that is a was a good thick, nasty sandy mud set up.
000_0586.jpg

That is some pretty interesting testing you got going on. Those last two shots were not to bad.
Thought,
What kind of weather were you shooting in. I believe that could effect certain things just a tad.

I took 5 shots today @ 100 yards off of the shooting stix. Shooting 150gr American Pioneer Super Sticks i had a shot that just went Foomp. Blue trail of smoke heading 80 yards down range and the recoil of a .22 with the sound of a fouling shot with just a sabot. This makes 3 of these that ive experienced on a fresh can of super sticks. Im using remington sts primers so i know im getting plenty of flames to them. No clue what the deal is but im going to pull the breech plug and inspect it. Could just be the sticks too. I was shooting the 245gr Hollow Point Powerbelts. Aerotips seem to shoot tighter.

Shooting wasnt that bad. #3 though really blew it due to me being upset over that pooper shot that hardly went bang. I did make up for it though with #4.
000_0648.jpg

000_0649.jpg

I don't know FG. I'd consider one dud stick a fluke...but two would simply not make the cut for me. Can't afford a misfire when hunting.

Good shootin' though at 100 yds.

At least you are finding out their might be a problem now instead of while your hunting. I would keep trying to see how many times that repeats. That is what they would do in the QC dept.

:x :evil: :twisted:

FG,

I had a little problem with the APP PELLETS also. I was able to fire afew shots and then the unexpected happened :!: :!: I loaded up ( 2-.50 cal pellets, APP) and fired and I knew something was wrong. :pale: :affraid: There was a delayed pop and then my powerbelt hit the ground about 20/25 yards out in front of me which was followed by the top pellet leaving a stream of smoke :!: The pellet went about 30 yards and then hit the ground. Other shooters came over right away thinking I might of gotten hurt because of the mishap :!: I was greatfull that the gun didn't blow. :affraid: :face:
I think :scratch: the bottom pellet ignited and was just strong enough to move the powerbelt that little distance and the top pellet (closest to the muzzle) was burning slowly in flight and leaving a smoke trail until it burned.
Needless to say I dumped the rest of the pellets. :cheers: No problems with my APP GOLD loose powder :!: :cheers:

Back