American Pioneer Powder Tests

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the drill bit trick works! I took it out again to 100 yards with a new target on it. 150gr APP super stick, 245gr AT Powerbelt and the Winchester W209. Using the drill bit between each shot to clean out the fouling, I pulled this 3 shot group off this evening :!: This deff. made my day!
PowerbeltAPPAccura.jpg

Who said APP and Powerbelts arent accurate??!!!

I almost forgot to mention that this barrel already had 12 shots through it before i shot this group.

That's simply an amazing hole FG :!: I'd frame it. (that's it...no more shooting for you today :) )

QUESTION: Now that you've shrunk the cloverleaf hole by cleaning the flash channel between shots,

Is the APP and Powerbelt the ultimate combination for a group like that, OR...

will simply cleaning the flash channel between shots improve all powder/bullet combinations :?:

You really got me thinkin' on that round FG :!: GREAT RANGE WORKSHOP TODAY FG :cheers: :cheers:

p.s. Can't forget to mention your expert marksmanship FG... the best equipment in the world will not get you a group like that
without it.

Good question.

I only have APP on hand & using the drill bit trick, it seems to be a very big key of shrinking your groups even more. I've just started doing this today, APP-JSG- Super Sticks, The Accuracy has improved by doing this.

Cleaning that flash channel will keep things consistent in how much flame gets into there and pressure.

This combo i already documented so i do not forget it!

FG,

Do you know if the flash channel is the same for all CVA inline plugs? I assume they are. I just need to know whether I need to buy any size drill-bit other than 7/64".

FrontierGander said:
most likely, they offered the W209 as their first muzzleloading primer and then came up with the 777 primers to help T7 users with the crud ring. The 777 primers though are filthy in my rifle. The W209 on the other hand is super clean and accurate. I think they just added those words for the muzzleloading shooter, probably no difference at all betweenthe W209 ML and the regular W209.
If there's no difference... then there should be. I think that most shooters who buy primers with packaging that says they are specifically for MLers assume they are buying a "reduced charge" 209 primer... compared to the "standard charge" 209 primer used for shotshells. Winchester needs to update their website... because I don't think the in-line 209 primers in the BLUE packaging are on there. Not particularly fond of Winchester's advertising scheme if they are claiming they have a 209 primer that does it all.

I wonder if that is one of those little things they overlooked?

FrontierGander said:
the drill bit trick works! I took it out again to 100 yards with a new target on it. 150gr APP super stick, 245gr AT Powerbelt and the Winchester W209. Using the drill bit between each shot to clean out the fouling, I pulled this 3 shot group off this evening :!: This deff. made my day!

Who said APP and Powerbelts arent accurate??!!!

I almost forgot to mention that this barrel already had 12 shots through it before i shot this group.
Forgot to ask FG... Is the barrel on your Accura free-floated :?:

Nope, its not. I was looking into it but when it just keeps shooting groups like that..... Why fix whats not broke? LOL.

Well i cured my blown patch issue! I used the Lead cloth remover last week in the Hawken's bore and its silk smooth now.

CVA Hawken .50cal

60gr APP, .015 patch .490 round ball @ 50 yards, Using the Caldwell Tack Driver rest.
Just pay attention to the upper 3 shots and the lower 3 shots to the left,
000_1145.jpg

Next i fired 12 shots of 70GR APP, .015 patch and .490 round ball, Also shot 3 295gr powerbelts into that hole, #1 shot with the powerbelts was high as you'll see. Total of 14 shots into that without swabbing or cooling down.
000_1146.jpg

6 more shots but with 80gr APP, this load started shredding the patches,
000_1149.jpg

Good day to play with the APP in the hawken, Must modify a new nipple for it but other than that, its a good shooter.

Damn good shootin' there FG :!: Looks like the Hawken prefers 70 grains.

Where you shooting the TomBobs, and did you use the lead cloth remover after you were done peppering the target?

i actually used the regular balls today, i plan on using the tombobs hopefully tomorrow. I did get some patches back today, perfect with the 60 and 70gr charges but the 80's were tearing them up.

Used the lead cloth a week before i shot today. Cleaned up silky smooth as well. I am going to do my other sidelocks with the stuff.

Doesn't sound like the lead cloth remover then is a routine task, but rather something to use every now and then.

Took the Accura out today with 90gr APP 2f, 295gr powerbelts. Amazing! I didnt even take the big CFX lead sled either! I used the Caldwell Tack Driver Bag rest. 100 yards.
000_1165.jpg

Also took the CVA Hawken .50cal at 75 yards with 70gr APP 2f, .490 round ball and .015 patch. My first 2 shots i loved but then my groups started to drop low. I think this has more to do with my eye sight than anything else.

I also used a new nipple today that i modified in the shop. Wow! Talk about a sweet nipple. Ohhh that sounds bad LOL. Anyway i just it on the drill press and used some sand paper to turn the nipple shaft down a bit so the caps didnt fit so tight. Then i drilled out the flash hole to .035" and again, turned it over and used a file and took down half of the length of the nipple shaft. Slightly funneled the inside of the flash channel as well. Performs perfectly.

000_1166.jpg

000_1170.jpg

000_1176.jpg

13 shots total today and that bore is clean!
000_1174.jpg

000_1171.jpg

Nice shootin' FG today with both rifles. Nice group with the Accura, and as far as the Hawken goes, looks like you freezered him on the first shot which is what really matters in the hunting world.

What was the flash hole diameter in the Hawken before you opened it up to .035?

TomBobs today?

got the Hawken back out today, 12 shots with 70gr APP 2f were perfect. Took 10 shots with the 295gr Powerbelts and 80gr 3F APP, the Hawken loved it. My eye sight has gotten blurry again so it was a bit hard to get on target. Maybe tomorrow i will use the Lead Sled and see how she does.
000_1178.jpg

First 5
000_1180.jpg

Last 5 shots are the upper ( I aimed at the top of the bulls eye on this target)
000_1182.jpg

Nice last five and great job compensating from the low shots!

Blurry vision? Sounds like eye strain. Not easy to do, but perhpas its time to stay off the shooting range, the computer, and reading for at least one day(preferrably 2). Works for me.

Got the chrono out today. Very humid and muggy today due to the rain/hail storm we had yesterday evening. Everything got a good soaking.

Set the Chrono out 12 feet away and took 3 shots with 100gr ( 87gr weight) American Pioneer 2F - 245gr Powerbelt - Winchester W209 primers.

I'll try some JSG 3F the next time i set the chrono up.

The Optima has a 26" barrel and had a total of 18 shots through it from yesterdays shooting. I will clean it and retest on a clean barrel and see what happens to the velocity.
000_1205.jpg

Back