American Pioneer Powder Tests

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hawgslayer,

It sounds like they are using the same technology to make the pellets as they are the sticks. Here in MA I have to work my butt off to even see a deer, and a shot at one is a plus , so again, any misfire is catostrophic mentally.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the pellets. You and FG have provided valuable information for us hunters.

been having some issues with a new can of APP super sticks i opened last week. I had 3 " no light up's" You could see the pellet flying through the air.

today i figured i'd take a few shots before i leave on the trip. Set up a target, settled in and PLUNK, PLUNK, PLUNK. All 3 damn shots were no fires! 245gr powerbelt with 150gr super sticks, never lit up. Just a blue trail of smoke. Im using remington sts primers too.

After shooting 2 cans of the 100gr super sticks and one can of the 150gr super sticks, this tells me its a bad can of sticks that im shooting now.

loading up JSG loose powder now and will see how that goes.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

results with the 100gr JSG 2f & 295gr powerbelts shrunk an inch for a final 3 1/2" group @ 100.

245gr powerbelts with 100gr APP 2f with a few minute cool down between shots was 1 & 7/8" The first shot being on a COLD barrel was the shot that opened the group up. Next two shots measured 7/8" center/center.

way to beautiful not to shoot today! Im going back out with 100gr APP 2f and this time the 270gr Platinums.

Sorry no pictures, camera is packed in my suitcase along with all the wires.

FG,

Doesn't sound like you had any problems with the 100 grain APP sticks, just the 150 grain supersticks?

In this video, View it in full screen and you can SEE the bullet go zipping by! Freakin pretty cool i think LOL. Thats a 270gr Powerbelt Platinum with 100gr American Pioneer 2F. They shot pretty good but i think im going to have to use 120gr + to get them to tighten up to where i want them.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/wCecEiSXFsI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wCecEiSXFsI_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

If it was that mili-second flash on the top left of the screen, that sucker was really zippin :!:

I also heard the platinums like beefed-up loads for expansion.

11 days without pulling the trigger. I had to go shoot!

Took some 150gr American Pioneer Super Sticks, Along with a few 295gr Aerotip Powerbelts and new primers. Winchester W209's!! They been out for almost a year and finally got new stock. These are now the most accurate primers with APP so far in my Accura.

Now again, lets remember that these Super Sticks have been giving me problems with not igniting all of the way. Shot #3 was just that, Its the lowest shot of the group.
The first 2 shots fired perfectly and as you can see, the group was great as well until the 3rd shot went, pa-bloink. Im surprised it even hit the target to be honest with you. Shots 1 & 2 were the width of my thumb center to center which measured exactly 1"

000_0655.jpg

Trying 74 grains ( Weight) American Pioneer 3f and the 270gr Powerbelt Platinum. My first shot on a cold barrel was slightly low. The next 3 on a warm barrel were perfect.

The final 3 shots measure 7/8" center to center.
000_0658.jpg

000_0657.jpg

The shot closest to the bullseye was from the previous 150gr outing. The sticker popped off it. The shot to the left of it was my final adjustment shot with 90gr APP 3f. Lowest shot was also an adjuster. Most likely movement that threw them slightly to the left.
000_0659.jpg

Great fun and accurate day of shooting! Keeps getting better and better as i try new primers and such. Next up are the 338gr Platinums!

Those are some nice shots.

I am getting the itch real bad now.

Haven't lost your trigger finger after 11 days have you FG!

Have you found the W209 Primers to be the most accurate with all grades of APP?

Where do think the W209's fit into the "hot" scale? Are they hotter than the Rem STS Primers?

W209 is a muzzleloading primer, much cooler than the STS. I've been wanting to shoot these for a long time now but never could find them.

Just tried the Super Sticks and the 3f APP today. Tomorrow if i am able to shoot ( getting sick :x ) i am going to be shooting 3 shots with 104gr ( 120gr Volume) JSG 2f with the 270gr Platinums.

FrontierGander said:
W209 is a muzzleloading primer, much cooler than the STS. I've been wanting to shoot these for a long time now but never could find them.

Just tried the Super Sticks and the 3f APP today. Tomorrow if i am able to shoot ( getting sick :x ) i am going to be shooting 3 shots with 104gr ( 120gr Volume) JSG 2f with the 270gr Platinums.
FG,

I thought the W209 Primers were Winchester's "standard" shotgun shell primers, and their Winchester Triple Se7en(black face on primer) were their "muzzleloader" primers :?:

Marty said:
FrontierGander said:

FG,

I thought the W209 Primers were Winchester's "standard" shotgun shell primers, and their Winchester Triple Se7en(black face on primer) were their "muzzleloader" primers :?:
Marty, that is what I thought as well. I shoot the Winchester Triple Seven Primers.

91141010.jpg
Click to Enlarge

FrontierGander said:
these say * for muzzleloading inline rifles *
Hmmm...interesting. What does the packaging look like?

blue with red winchester writing and gold (primers) writing. I just looked. the one i am shooting says for inline muzzleloaders, the other package says For shotshells.

Im guessing they are the same?

90gr 3f JSG 295gr Powerbelt Aerotip @ 100 yards.
2 1/4"
000_0660.jpg

245gr Powerbelt Aerotip, 150gr American Pioneer Super Stick, Winchester W209.
The highest shot was #1 on a cold barrel. 1 1/8"
000_0663.jpg

I did something different today. I used my 7/64 drill bit and ran it into the flash channel after each shot and cleaned out any primer crud that was in there. I think it actually helped keep the accuracy tight. Only a light dusting of primer fouling on the frame. Love these primers!

FrontierGander said:
blue with red winchester writing and gold (primers) writing. I just looked. the one i am shooting says for inline muzzleloaders, the other package says For shotshells.

Im guessing they are the same?
"Love these primers" :?:
Hate to say it FG, but I'm still trying to figure out exactly what Winchester primers you are using.
As far as I know, ther blue packaging you described are the W209 standard shotshell primers from what I've seen on the Winchester website and are not ML primers...but you say the pack you are using says for "in-line muzzleloaders only".

Sounds like the Winchester ML primers you are using are not the Winchester Se7en primers that Rick added a photo of. I have those as well with the black face.

Can you take a pic of the other Winchester primer package you are now using :?:

Accura-thor-scoped100003.jpg

The other has the same packaging but doesnt include the ( ideal for inline muzzleloading rifles) on the package.

WOW FG... never saw that packaging before with that wording on it :!:

I learned something new today. :)

Where did you get those babies?

[p.s. I'm a little confused though now in what Winchester is now selling for their ML primers. Are they now selling two different primers for MLer, or just different packaging?]

most likely, they offered the W209 as their first muzzleloading primer and then came up with the 777 primers to help T7 users with the crud ring. The 777 primers though are filthy in my rifle. The W209 on the other hand is super clean and accurate. I think they just added those words for the muzzleloading shooter, probably no difference at all betweenthe W209 ML and the regular W209.

Back