Another plug and tape question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thaner

Reaction score
I see some use white and some pink. I also found the pink was a little thicker. What I haven't found yet is how much tape people are using. Are you using just one slight overlap of tape? Can you use a couple layers of white to match the pink? Is the pink tape wider? Are you putting on wrap at the bottom of the threads or multiple wraps over the whole length of the threads?

Every gun(plug) is diffrent. You will have to find out what works on your gun,and what dosen't. I quit using tape on my breech plugs,since I switched to Slick 50 One Grease. :D

thaner

I use tape all the time and that is all I use - works great easy to clean.

You are correct white is the thinnest, then pink, then yellow. What thickness should you use? well, Like someone said it depends...

I wrap the plug from the nose down to the nipple end... wrap it in a counterclockwise direction. Over lap the tape on the nose so that it may be patted down on the face of the breech plug. I wrap one over lapping wrap on the plug. but here is the key (in my mind) when you insert the plug it must go in smoothly - it should not ball up or tear the tape. When you have it in correctly you should be able to look down the muzzle with a pen light - you should see the tape all the way around the top of the BP. One other tip - after I have the tape on I put the plug between my thumb and forefinger and then i turn the plug in my fingers applying pressure to force the tape down into the threads a bit....

The threads of both the BP and the barrel must be clean, I actually polish the threads of both with JB's to remove the sharpness of the threads and any burrs that might be their.

If pink screws in correctly - use it - if it doesn't because it is to tight or to thick then use white...

Here is a pic of my Remington wrap and an illustrated view of what I am trying to do....

BreechPlug.jpg

BreechPlug2.gif

good luck....

Thanks that's very helpful. I have white on hand so I will start with that. About how much thicker is the yellow and pink than the white? I am just wondering how many layers I go with white before I should start changing to a thicker tape.

thaner

Start with the white - one wrap thick - insert that if it goes in smoothly - pull the whole thing out again remove the tape and put on two wraps if that goes in OK you probably need the pink tape... remember to turn the BP in your fingers to get the tape down into the threads of the BP... also remember to check in the barrel with a pin light or something... you need to see that white tape all the way around the bottom of the bore...

tape

Now I am a newbie so go kind of easy....but that tape in the pic looks like plumbers tape to wrap copper threads....same stuff?

oldrookie

Depends! - if you buy it from Thompson Center - it is for muzzleloaders - if you buy it from Home Depot or Lowes it is for pipes...

If you buy it form TC - expensive
If you buy it from HD or Lowes - pretty inexpensive

I used to apply tape and Permatex anti-seize compound, and it was a mess and the tape never stayed in place very well.
Now, all I use is Slick 50 one grease and the difference is night and day... Blow back has never been a problem and it still isn't with out the tape. Also, I no longer have to bust a gut to get the plug out.

cva - grease

For those of you that shoot cva's.....how is the bore blaster grease, which is their brand? I haven't shot my optima yet but that was the first thing I bought.

Back