Any other adult-onset hunters on here?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CedarPost

Reaction score
I am about to turn 40 and just started hunting a few years ago. Didn't grow up in a hunting family.

I got into it after many years as an obsessed bird watcher, plant enthusiast, wild foods forager, and general nature geek. It seemed like a natural progression — I harvest spring greens, and mushrooms, and after a while venison starts to look pretty appealing. The learning curve has been pretty steep, and there's still a ton I don't know, but after my first buck last year, I am hooked!

I am about to turn 40 and just started hunting a few years ago. Didn't grow up in a hunting family.

I got into it after many years as an obsessed bird watcher, plant enthusiast, wild foods forager, and general nature geek. It seemed like a natural progression — I harvest spring greens, and mushrooms, and after a while venison starts to look pretty appealing. The learning curve has been pretty steep, and there's still a ton I don't know, but after my first buck last year, I am hooked!
Congratulations, where are you located?

Welcome aboard!

It doesn't really matter when you got started as long as you've found it. The learning curve isn't something that ever really gets mastered. There will always be something new pop up. I've been deer hunting for 55 years now and every year I find a new glitch to it.

Again, welcome. Questions? Ask away because this site is full of knowledge.

Just think how proficient you’ll be if you get good at it & travel to a target rich environment...... I’m guessing you’re going to fare well, foraging & other skills require woodsmanship. Those skills are enhanced with experience, just ask yourself why did the animal do that?? Time of day, wind direction, thermals, relation to food bed, spooked or natural movement.

I'm also an adult onset hunter as well. I had a college friend who I went hunting with 8 years ago, and I have been hooked ever since. This site has been an invaluable resources for correcting all of the muzzleloader mistakes that I have made. The collective knowledge on this site is fantastic.

I'm originally from Connecticut and have hunted Vermont and northern Maine, so I know first hand what your saying.
I'm considering taking a trip down south to visit some relatives and hunt next year just to see what it's like somewhere else.

Been hunt since I was 12 I’m 68. Started Mz about 10 yrs ago w a sidekick on and off. Been shoot ACW for 30 (n-ssa) switched to inline last year. BHaven’t taken a deer yet w either because I chose not to. Only looking for a certain deer on our property.

Well if it's of any consolation, I shot my first animal 25 years ago and the learning curve is still steep. I am positive that there will be always more to learn about nature and hunting than any person could learn in a lifetime. It is one of the great things about it in my view and if you are a student of nature you will never go home unsuccessful because there is always something to pickup whenever you're out bush (even if it's not meat).

Welcome to the deer woods. Now your hooked. Like a few said, you will never learn it all in a lifetime. Its like a fine woman, when you think you have her figured out, she'll change. So many variables in nature but that's why its called hunting, if it were easy we would get bored. This is a great site and lots of knowledge here. If you like to read, one of my favorite books(and I don't have many) is "Come November" by Barry Wentzel, you will love it and Barry's woodsmanship and knowledge is 2nd to none.

Better late than never! Did you use a muzzle loader? Come over to Maine, I have a couple of camps.
Nit Wit

The Vermont muzzleloader season is probably the best chance for taking a deer, especially if there's any snow on the ground. The last few years, antlerless permits have been increased. I'm not sure about the season dates, it either has started or will soon.

Latest posts

Back