any Point Black Range shooters

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white eagle

Reaction score
Does any one use the PBR system for sighting in your rifles?
For those of you who do not know that is where your bullet never rise above or falls below a certain predetermined limit say 4", being the kill zone of the average deer is a 8" area.
So I am wondering how I should sight in my new Knight Peregrine.
I suppose I need to run it across a chronograph first to determine the velocity
If I sight it in to strike 3" high at 100 I should be good to? that's the problem I don't know.
Anybody familiar with 40 cal. ballistics?

PBR there is no dialing just point and shoot
I am just unfamiliar with the 40 cal its real new to me

I’d set it up by picking a bullet and powder charge, getting an average velocity with a chrony then running the numbers through a ballistics calculator to get a general idea of the trajectory. Then verify your drops at the range.

Sabotloader(Mike ) does.. I used to use it with pcp air rifles. I usually zero 2 in high at 50 and good to however far we usually shoot in the woods around here.

With my .45 Knight 83 grains of BH209, 200 grain shockwave, blue sabot, velocity is 2275. 3 inches high at 100yds puts you dead on at 180. Hope that helps

With my .45 Knight 83 grains of BH209, 200 grain shockwave, blue sabot, velocity is 2275. 3 inches high at 100yds puts you dead on at 180. Hope that helps
If your bullet is 3” high at 100yds, where does that put it at 50 yds?
Most of my shots are at 50 or 60 yards and the furthest I’ve ever shot is 90. I’ve always sighted my rifles in to be an inch high at 100 yards but I probably should just make them dead on at 50.

I use the PBR method for sighting in and it works very well for me.

Here is an example using a 3" PBR with a 40 cal bullet.

img]

Velocity and BC all all you need..
There are many ballistic programs you can play with- but none of them are as absolute as your load and range time to prove what your gun can do on paper.
I have a Knight 40cal 1:16, I’ve hunted with the past 3 years.
Good luck.

Shoot how you want, but I look at PBR kind of like a higher BC. While PBR does not retain energy, it does extend range without adjustments.

I get those who sight at 100 yards and hold over beyond that range but for me it makes more sense to just know out to X yards you just aim mid way up the body at the back of the front leg.

I can't help it, I have to range every deer that gives me time. I can then choose to hold 3" low at 75-100 yards....or not. Then I get to hold dead on usually to 175 or so before I need to consider hold over.

Daughter shot 2 deer with my gun. One 140" at 160 yards and a 177" at 100 yards. It was nice to just tell her to shoot both dead on with no adjustments.

Muzzleloader usually sight in something like 160 yards and just know your trajectory beyond 200. Biggest problem becomes wind drift at long distances. Wind causes waaay more bad shots than distance.. lack of shooting skill is even more common.

I use to sight in all my rifles 3" high at 100 Yards
Bob Milleck did an article on that in one of the gun rag's
Like 52 Bore said I need to know velocity and bc to plan on the max PBR for the bullet I am using
Apparition nailed it just aim mid point behind shoulder and squeeze

Latest posts

Back